That's it, my heart is officially broken. I can't handle this Bold 9000 any more. Time to get a Torch 9810.

One question, why do you and PG keep saying it has problems and such but won't tell us what the problems causing the hold up are?
    Nooooooooooooo! save yourself. It's too late for me. Find a used 97xx to tide you over. The 98xx keyboard is a cruel joke.
    09-25-11 11:40 AM
    Nooooooooooooo! save yourself. It's too late for me. Find a used 97xx to tide you over. The 98xx keyboard is a cruel joke.
    I can't, the keyboard on the 97x0 is too tiny for me. I'm 6'6" so I have giant fingers, and the 9000 is the only Blackberry that I could type on without a lot of difficulty until the release of the 9900. I've typed on my friend's 9800 many times and I think that with the 9810's improved on screen keyboard along with the ever so slightly larger real keyboard it will hold me over until I can sell it and get a 9900 from AT&T.
    09-25-11 01:13 PM
    November 20 was chosen a long time ago, sounds like AT&T had a fortune teller look into her crystal ball and predict problems in the field testing. I don't really expect an intelligent response to this since everything so far points to the "Hardware Issues" being pure Bull$hit. Including the guy who said he has a 9860 Prototype that I assume is for field testing.

Personally I think its a marketing move to support sales of the 9810 & iPhone 5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by olblueyez; 09-25-11 at 01:44 PM.
    09-25-11 01:17 PM
    I can't, the keyboard on the 97x0 is too tiny for me. I'm 6'6" so I have giant fingers, and the 9000 is the only Blackberry that I could type on without a lot of difficulty until the release of the 9900. I've typed on my friend's 9800 many times and I think that with the 9810's improved on screen keyboard along with the ever so slightly larger real keyboard it will hold me over until I can sell it and get a 9900 from AT&T.

Fascinating. I can't get my head around a preference for the 98xx kb over the 97xx kb. I do most of my typing one handed (no, not while surfing the net. Gutter minds... sheesh) and the 9700 I tried is significantly better for that. Now you have me plotting a visit to the ATT store to fondle a 9810.
    09-25-11 01:56 PM
    It didn't sting as much three years ago because T-Mobile didn't have the 9000, and never did. I was using the 8800 on T-Mobile at that time.
    What I was referring to was the fact that Rogers released it so much earlier than AT&T and Kevin hyped the device so much on here that a lot of people bought those from Rogers or unbranded rather than wait for AT&T to get their crap together... I was on Verizon (still am) but got a line on AT&T because I wanted it so badly...
    09-25-11 02:32 PM
    Don't do it !!! today i tried to bbm my friend who got 9930 on Verizon and because he was on the phone with GF i never got it. So you decide now if it worth ed to give up trusted at&t that works as it supposed to to CDMA 9930
    If that happened it was an isolated incident/glitch. That's not how CDMA works. As others have stated once they ended the call any queued messages are delivered.
    09-25-11 02:48 PM
    It's not bad news. With luck an android flogging QNX version will drop before the 9900 and save many of us a lot of grief.
    LOO... I love platform wars ... ;-)
    09-25-11 02:59 PM
    I just don't understand how there are problems big enough to not release the device. Does it have different hardware than the CDMA versions? I ask because I've had my 9930 on Sprint for almost a month and haven't had a single problem with it (knock on wood). I know I don't know nearly as much as you but it just seems odd to me that other carriers are selling it but AT&T is still finding problems that are big enough to delay it. I feel bad for the AT&T guys waiting on this phone.
    The radios and radio code (baseband) are completely different. Our CDMA Bolds wont even work on 3G on AT&T and it is most likely signal/reception issues they are having problems with because other than that they phones ARE nearly identical. AT&T cant make changes to their network to make individual phones work properly so they are have to get the OEM's to make changes to their hardware/software.

I do however have a hard time believing the issues are so prevalent given how well the unlocked Rogers ones seem to be working.
    09-25-11 03:09 PM
    Does this mean we will not get the 9900, just like the 9780?

Oh they'll get it I am sure of that. Unlike the 9760 this phone IS a significant upgrade from it's predecessor models, especially considering they skipped the 9760.

The question is weather or not it will be a good seller or not because by the time they do get around to releasing it the bulk of the consumers and business users not locked into large longstanding contracts who want it will have either bought the Rogers or unbranded version OR have jumped ship to another carrier.
    09-25-11 03:14 PM
    Oh they'll get it I am sure of that. Unlike the 9760 this phone IS a significant upgrade from it's predecessor models, especially considering they skipped the 9760.

The question is weather or not it will be a good seller or not because by the time they do get around to releasing it the bulk of the consumers and business users not locked into large longstanding contracts who want it will have either bought the Rogers or unbranded version OR have jumped ship to another carrier.

I wonder if they are holding it back out of pity for TMo, since TMo lost so many customers who got out ahead of the presumed ATT takeover Bad business move given the terms of the takeover contingencies, but it's also possible there is an "agreement."
    09-25-11 03:37 PM
    ok can someone explain why the rogers branded 9930 work on at&t and aat&t can release there own not buying it somthings going on
    09-25-11 04:30 PM
    ok can someone explain why the rogers branded 9930 work on at&t and aat&t can release there own not buying it somthings going on
    Rogers has the 9900 and works just fine with A Suck & Suck, minus the visual voice mail. This is what a lot of us are saying - why is the hardware/software related (supposedly) when the 9900 works just fine? Because of Apple and the I5.
    09-25-11 04:45 PM
    There is a BlackBerry store (Farmington Hills, Michigan) in the city where I live and you can call there and get on a list to get a phone call when the Bold 9900 is realesed for AT&T, the lady rep told me that it was late oct or november. I than went to a local ATT store and bought a torch 2 using my upgrade and asked the guy about the 9900 for att he said that he has seen it and its being released late october..hopefully within these 30 days i have to return my torch 2! lol .. but bold 9900 is coming to att, within a month or month and a half
    09-25-11 05:01 PM
    I'm not doubting you but if it is a matter of failures in field testing then how did AT&T know this in advance when they posted November 20 a long ways back?

at&t has never announced or leaked a November 20 date. The roadmap date with which you base your speculation on was not an at&t document.

I could care less if you think the HW and SW issues are BS or not. Everything I've posted here has been fact based on my firsthand knowledge. If something is my opinion I tell you its my opinion. I don't buy into the conspiracy theories you and others like to spread because they are never backed up with any fact.

I have taken a few weeks off from posting because there are too many in the CB community now who are more focused on bashing than the free exchange of opinion and knowledge. This goes beyond the forums and seems to be more and more the way the leaders of this site choose to operate. Because of that I have elected to not post much anymore. I will continue to share information with a few friends here but will do so privately and leave it up to them if they wish to post it.

PG
    09-25-11 05:29 PM
    Phonegeek has always provided very reliable information and does mix speculation and fact. I for one hope he continues to share his information with the forum.
    09-25-11 06:00 PM
    I wonder if they are holding it back out of pity for TMo, since TMo lost so many customers who got out ahead of the presumed ATT takeover Bad business move given the terms of the takeover contingencies, but it's also possible there is an "agreement."
    I personally don't think they care a rats derriere about T-Mobile or it's customer base, what they are after is the spectrum and if they loose the customers it's just a necessary sacrifice to them. Notice they are already offering to sell customers and equipment to Sprint and others if it helps the deal go through? Less customers they have to give new phones to when they switch the TMo HSPA+ network frequency over to LTE.
    09-25-11 06:04 PM
    There is a BlackBerry store (Farmington Hills, Michigan) in the city where I live and you can call there and get on a list to get a phone call when the Bold 9900 is realesed for AT&T, the lady rep told me that it was late oct or november. I than went to a local ATT store and bought a torch 2 using my upgrade and asked the guy about the 9900 for att he said that he has seen it and its being released late october..hopefully within these 30 days i have to return my torch 2! lol .. but bold 9900 is coming to att, within a month or month and a half
    I hate to tell you this but RIM has absolutely no say in when a device is launched on a particular carrier. Even if there is some signed contract between the two saying they WILL release a phone it is still up to the carrier as to when and there is probably an exit clause to allow then to back out if they so choose (ie the 9780).

I really don't understand people's resistance to just buying the Rogers version. I know some of you cant afford it and that is cool, but I am on Verizon and bought mine full retail and not a second or regret. If I were on AT&T I would have bought a Rogers version a month ago rather than deal with this crap. If it's about the Rogers branding on the phone you can get replacement parts that don't have that online. The only time you'd see the Rogers branding is during device boot up.
    09-25-11 06:11 PM
    I hate to tell you this but RIM has absolutely no say in when a device is launched on a particular carrier. Even if there is some signed contract between the two saying they WILL release a phone it is still up to the carrier as to when and there is probably an exit clause to allow then to back out if they so choose (ie the 9780).

I really don't understand people's resistance to just buying the Rogers version. I know some of you cant afford it and that is cool, but I am on Verizon and bought mine full retail and not a second or regret. If I were on AT&T I would have bought a Rogers version a month ago rather than deal with this crap. If it's about the Rogers branding on the phone you can get replacement parts that don't have that online. The only time you'd see the Rogers branding is during device boot up.
    According to his post (justinloussia), he didn't say anything about RIM releasing the device. Where did you get this from?

And buying a Rogers device? You have no warranty with the carrier, meaning you have no exchange capability in case you need it. So if your device kicks the bucket, who will you deal with? I'd rather wait and let my carrier release it. I've used several Rogers devices with AT&T and didn't have any issues, but you never know now a days. If you bought your 9900 anywhere but a carrier (not off eBay, etc.,) your screwed.
    Last edited by ibcop; 09-25-11 at 06:26 PM.
    09-25-11 06:23 PM
    According to his post (justinloussia), he didn't say anything about RIM releasing the device. Where did you get this from?
    The implication was that somehow because he heard if from RIM (or rather a Blackberry Store) that it was somehow official or had some weight to it, and as we all know by now it doesn't.

And buying a Rogers device? You have no warranty with the carrier, meaning you have no exchange capability in case you need it. So if your device kicks the bucket, who will you deal with? I'd rather wait and let my carrier release it. I've used several Rogers devices with AT&T and didn't have any issues, but you never know now a days. If you bought your 9900 anywhere but a carrier (not off eBay, etc.,) your screwed.
    You deal directly with RIM. I guess I have had better luck with BB devices with you as the only one I have ever had a problem with was my first Tour (and the irony was it had nothing to do with the trackball). Obviously it is better if the carrier releases it but if they don't have a date and the rumor date changes like this (shades of the 9000 three years ago) I would not waste my time. I bought a T-Mobile branded 8900 several months before AT&T released it and other than a less than stellar trackball (almost all of those and the Tours had that issue) the device worked flawlessly.

All I am saying is save yourself the headache and get the device you want. At the rate these delays are going (now even the Nov 20 date pushed back) it is going to be after the first of the year before AT&T finally gets it out.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    09-25-11 06:47 PM
    You deal directly with RIM.
    Unless you are speaking from personal experience VZWRocka, I would beg to differ. Although you would assume one could go directly to RIM for warranty-related issues, if you didn't purchase it directly from the carrier, RIM is by no means obliged to uphold ANY warranty, nor is the carrier if something were to go wrong with the device (and please feel free to correct me with any information you can find directly on RIM's website regarding a device warranty...since this is by no means & never will be a "you're wrong, I'm right thing." - I have no problem being proven wrong, and can accept it given facts in-writing.)

Obviously insurance would also not be valid since that (beyond the shadow of a doubt) only covers a carrier-branded device (not OEM, and definitely not from another carrier.)

I would be reluctant to spend $100 (let alone $600) on something that had no warranty and I could not purchase some sort of extended warranty and / or insurance plan to cover the item if disaster strikes or something malfunctions (electrical, mechanical, etc.)

As I mentioned before, even though it's frustrating for a lot of people (and I've said this before): "Patience is a Virtue."
    Last edited by intellectronik; 09-25-11 at 07:04 PM.
    09-25-11 07:00 PM
    Unless you are speaking from personal experience VZWRocka, I would beg to differ. Although you would assume one could go directly to RIM for warranty-related issues, if you didn't purchase it directly from the carrier, RIM is by no means obliged to uphold ANY warranty, nor is the carrier if something were to go wrong with the device (and please feel free to correct me with any information you can find directly on RIM's website regarding a device warranty...since this is by no means & never will be a "you're wrong, I'm right thing.)
    I don't have links but there were numerous people who had issues with the original Storm who dealt directly with RIM. I've also seen cases where people went directly to LG with issues with some of their phones. The manufacturer's warranty applies to the original purchaser of the device so as long as you buy it from a carrier store or an official reseller then you should be ok.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the warranty in the pdf manual for the 9900/9930 but BlackBerry - BlackBerry Smartphone Service Options ... this page certainly seems to imply that you can deal directly with RIM. Does not mention anything about having to go through a carrier.

Patience is indeed a virtue but at the same time "He who hesitates is lost."
    09-25-11 07:24 PM
    at&t has never announced or leaked a November 20 date. The roadmap date with which you base your speculation on was not an at&t document.

I could care less if you think the HW and SW issues are BS or not. Everything I've posted here has been fact based on my firsthand knowledge. If something is my opinion I tell you its my opinion. I don't buy into the conspiracy theories you and others like to spread because they are never backed up with any fact.

I have taken a few weeks off from posting because there are too many in the CB community now who are more focused on bashing than the free exchange of opinion and knowledge. This goes beyond the forums and seems to be more and more the way the leaders of this site choose to operate. Because of that I have elected to not post much anymore. I will continue to share information with a few friends here but will do so privately and leave it up to them if they wish to post it.

PG
    It doesn't really matter where it came from if its correct. I also don't know why you have bothered to comment on my post since "you haven't been posting lately" and my comment was not directed at you. Its ok though, like I said, I didn't expect any intelligent responses to that post since its obvious someone or some people are full of it. Just so we are crystal clear on one thing, if the dates on that map pan out, then AT&T was in the know and whoever came up with the map got info from AT&T. One has become reality, what happens when it becomes two and three? You going to tell us someone just guessed and got lucky?

09-25-11 07:25 PM
    with all the delays at&t has made with bb,its a second reason im considering other choices for next smartphone buy.october could be my decision month.we will see.
    09-25-11 08:41 PM
    November 20 was chosen a long time ago, sounds like AT&T had a fortune teller look into her crystal ball and predict problems in the field testing. I don't really expect an intelligent response to this since everything so far points to the "Hardware Issues" being pure Bull$hit. Including the guy who said he has a 9860 Prototype that I assume is for field testing.

Personally I think its a marketing move to support sales of the 9810 & iPhone 5.

im not field testing the 9860. just happen to get my hands on one. other than a quick moving battery life, i see no issues hardware wise.
    09-25-11 09:09 PM
    Steve, glad you're liking the 9860.

im not field testing the 9860. just happen to get my hands on one. other than a quick moving battery life, i see no issues hardware wise.
    09-25-11 09:28 PM
1,957 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD