What are you talking about? Data resumes once the call is terminated. Ergo, the BBM message will deliver after the call completes. BBM messages don't drop off the face of the earth just because someone with a CDMA BlackBerry is using the phone.
    I'm sorry if its incorrect, then my next step is to brake one of my driver's head, who gave me this info...
    09-23-11 11:47 PM
    I just switched back to BlackBerry from Android having the Infuse, Atrix and Dell Streak. I moved back to the BlackBerry world and got a cheap Bold 9000 just to get ready for the 9900 when it arives. Had to brush up after having Android for almost 2 years. So Im in preparing stages as of now. Anxiously awaiting!
    Hey I recognized your pic when I was over at AndroidCentral! I would follow some of your posts about the Atrix as I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on that device. So welcome back to BlackBerry!

I was using the Bold 9700 (need to sell it now) and was waiting for the 9900 but AT&T was taking too long so I decided to get the Torch 9810 and LOVE, LOVE this device! Not to mention it's $49.99 with a 2yr contract. Since you had the Atrix (all touch device) you may enjoy the Torch as it's the best of both worlds (touch and physical keyboard) imo. Either way, I don't think you will go wrong as both the 9900 and 9810 are good choices.

Hope to see more of ya in the forums!
    09-24-11 12:21 AM
    Hey I recognized your pic when I was over at AndroidCentral! I would follow some of your posts about the Atrix as I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on that device. So welcome back to BlackBerry!

I was using the Bold 9700 (need to sell it now) and was waiting for the 9900 but AT&T was taking too long so I decided to get the Torch 9810 and LOVE, LOVE this device! Not to mention it's $49.99 with a 2yr contract. Since you had the Atrix (all touch device) you may enjoy the Torch as it's the best of both worlds (touch and physical keyboard) imo. Either way, I don't think you will go wrong as both the 9900 and 9810 are good choices.

Hope to see more of ya in the forums!
    Hi NIckerz! lol, its funny because my name is Nick and Ive had a lot of people call me that name . Yes, thank you for that. Im actually a Forums Advisor over on Android Central. Started in the Atrix forums as one, then moved to the Infuse forums. But unfortunatly, my Infuse was stolen and Im not dishing out 500 for another one. It was good while it lasted. I got a Bold 9000 for 80bucks on craigslist and it just started to sense me back into BlackBerry. The main thing I love about BB is the physical qwerty keyboard. I love touch screen to dont get me wrong, but Out of all the BlackBerrys Ive ever owned, the Bold 9700 was my favorite. So I decided to stick with the Bold line of devices.

I love Android also, dont get me wrong. I am tempted to try and get the Samsung Galaxy S2 next month, but then I think about it. It doesnt have that much over the Infuse and its still not rocking an LTE chip. Im started to get annoyed always doing speedtests on these phones and trying to find how I can get the faster service. Started agrivating me. This way with a BB, it keeps me less off of "playing" with the phone constantly. But dont get me wrong, I love Android. And my mind always changes to be honest with you lol. But that new Bold looks like Heavin in metal and plastic to me lol. Not 100% so fond of a touch screen, but I do like it. But the physical aspect of the BB is what I love. The keyboard.

Thank you for welcoming me back. Im trying to figure out how Im going to break it down to the Android guys and Ill probably end up coming back around at some point. ****, I might even try an iphone for once in my life at some point lol. Technology moves, so we must move along with it!
    09-24-11 08:36 AM
    Both the 9900 & 9860 are as of now delayed on AT&T beyond October. Both devices have received two hardware changes and the 9900 is set to have another HW swap. Neither device has had a firmware update for a while. I have been been aware of this for a little bit but have been hesitant in posting it. PG is aware of the exact same thing & is in total agreement.

I know this sucks for AT&T users but it's almost like the 9000 all over again. Of course most will blame AT&T for this, but it's really not their fault. Their committed to giving customers a fully functional device with minimal to no problems and the current devices have many of them.
    09-24-11 10:28 AM
    Thanks Crucial, it's never easy being the bearer of bad news, most of us appreciate your input on this stuff. You and PG are assets to CB, and I for one, would rather not spend full price on an unfinished product.

Oh well, at least I've got my 9810 to fondle whilst I wait (and wait, and wait...).
    09-24-11 10:58 AM
    It's not bad news. With luck an android flogging QNX version will drop before the 9900 and save many of us a lot of grief.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-24-11 11:05 AM
    Thanks Crucial for the heads-up. I WASN'T getting my hopes-up too high for an October release. I managed to score a NEW AT&T-Branded 9700 (minus accessories, which I already have a ton of anyways) off eBay for $225 to hold me out. I'm selling my (Unlocked) AT&T-Branded Torch 9800 to re-coup the cost, but at this point, what's another month? I think my frustration level was reaching a boiling point more-so because of the Torch. I didn't realize how much I disliked the form factor, weight, and functionality of it until I switched back to this 9700.

I refuse to drop $600+ for an un-branded device that I can't even put insurance on (as I've mentioned before) with NO warranty what-so-ever. With that said, as long as old Blue Balls (AT&T) releases the 9900 before years-end (and obviously before any QNX devices make an appearance, which I think is far-fetched to say 1st Quarter next year), I'll be fine holding-out with my shiny new 9700 in the interim.
    09-24-11 11:15 AM
    Both the 9900 & 9860 are as of now delayed on AT&T beyond October. Both devices have received two hardware changes and the 9900 is set to have another HW swap. Neither device has had a firmware update for a while. I have been been aware of this for a little bit but have been hesitant in posting it. PG is aware of the exact same thing & is in total agreement.

I know this sucks for AT&T users but it's almost like the 9000 all over again. Of course most will blame AT&T for this, but it's really not their fault. Their committed to giving customers a fully functional device with minimal to no problems and the current devices have many of them.
    I'm not doubting you but if it is a matter of failures in field testing then how did AT&T know this in advance when they posted November 20 a long ways back?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 11:32 AM
    It's not bad news. With luck an android flogging QNX version will drop before the 9900 and save many of us a lot of grief.
    What will QWERTY lovers do when the QNX is released?

OniBerry likes this.
    09-24-11 11:35 AM
    Wait for the qwerty version...

09-24-11 11:55 AM

I imagine we will see at least one QNX phone with a physical QWERTY.
    09-24-11 12:00 PM

so does this mean it might not even come out in November?

I'm asking because my 9700 screen broke last month, and im using my old red curve from like 4 years ago and its on its last leg...and its $80 to fix my 9700 screen :/
    09-24-11 12:20 PM

I just don't understand how there are problems big enough to not release the device. Does it have different hardware than the CDMA versions? I ask because I've had my 9930 on Sprint for almost a month and haven't had a single problem with it (knock on wood). I know I don't know nearly as much as you but it just seems odd to me that other carriers are selling it but AT&T is still finding problems that are big enough to delay it. I feel bad for the AT&T guys waiting on this phone.
    09-24-11 01:00 PM

as i have a proto at&t branded 9860, do you know what the hardware changes are? just curious. i dont seem to have any issues with mine as of yet.
    09-24-11 01:04 PM
    Does this mean we will not get the 9900, just like the 9780?

09-24-11 01:05 PM
    I just don't understand how there are problems big enough to not release the device. Does it have different hardware than the CDMA versions? I ask because I've had my 9930 on Sprint for almost a month and haven't had a single problem with it (knock on wood). I know I don't know nearly as much as you but it just seems odd to me that other carriers are selling it but AT&T is still finding problems that are big enough to delay it. I feel bad for the AT&T guys waiting on this phone.
    This is by no means a "smart-a$$" remark, but if you're interested, do a Google search on GSM vs CDMA. The two are vastly different in terms of hardware, technology, etc.

Case-in-point (and a simple example), on your CDMA Blackberry 9930 (unless connected to WiFi), you would be unable to be on a phone call and surf the web at the same time. Something that is a "marketing" point for AT&T (T-Mobile not-so-much, but AT&T and T-Mobile are the two major GSM carriers in the United States.)

Just a minor example of a difference. There's a vast amount of information in these threads relating to what you were asking about.

So, in essence YES, there is a pretty large difference between the two...!
    09-24-11 01:07 PM

wow at&t just wow.whats the point of bringing them out now at the end of 2011.the funny part is that the rest of world-places like south korea has these new devices already.the rest of the world and most of the us carriers are readying for qnx launch.these os 7 devices were announced back in may,there is no excuse for at&t not to fix the issues within that amount of time gap.now im really really really considering going with the iphone 5 as my next smartphone.and its not going to be my first go around with an iphone.i know how to use one very well from my iphone 4 experience.it was just that i used bb for nearly 3 years and thought i would be better off remaining with it.but these delays from at&t has put me in a tough position.at&t's delays are similar to flight delays at airports due to bad weather.its been bad weather from at&t this entire year.
    09-24-11 01:20 PM
    the rest of the world and most of the us carriers are readying for qnx launch.
    Really? I doubt they even know what QNX is

OniBerry and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-24-11 01:42 PM

That's it, my heart is officially broken. I can't handle this Bold 9000 any more. Time to get a Torch 9810.

One question, why do you and PG keep saying it has problems and such but won't tell us what the problems causing the hold up are?
    09-24-11 08:46 PM

Thank you for the update. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the delays in AT&T releasing the 9900 but I think the lack of information about what types of hardware issues are being encountered is raising my blood pressure. Part of me wonders why Rogers, Telus, Bell, TMob, and other GSM carriers around the globe are running the 9900 without any issues, but AT&T seems to be encountering major issues. Even unlocked Rogers, Telus, and Bell 9900s seem to work fine on AT&T's network (minus a few software issues). Do you anticipate a late Nov release date still....or will it be pushed back until late 2011/early 2012?
    09-24-11 11:24 PM
    Thank you for the update. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the delays in AT&T releasing the 9900 but I think the lack of information about what types of hardware issues are being encountered is raising my blood pressure. Part of me wonders why Rogers, Telus, Bell, TMob, and other GSM carriers around the globe are running the 9900 without any issues, but AT&T seems to be encountering major issues. Even unlocked Rogers, Telus, and Bell 9900s seem to work fine on AT&T's network (minus a few software issues). Do you anticipate a late Nov release date still....or will it be pushed back until late 2011/early 2012?
    <---- If That's the case they might as well just scrap the 9900, and produce the QNX (:rollseyes They have to be tied with Apple as their little Guinea Pig for their impending precious Iphone 5.

Checked out the 9900 at Costco at this little Kiosk , and Oh Wow for the keyboard. I can see myself flying through the keys with that baby.

But, hmmm November "Release Date"....well my Bday is in November, though that would only be 15 months into my contract...not sure I would be able to upgrade...be a nice bday gift though.
    09-25-11 12:23 AM
    This is by no means a "smart-a$$" remark, but if you're interested, do a Google search on GSM vs CDMA. The two are vastly different in terms of hardware, technology, etc.

Case-in-point (and a simple example), on your CDMA Blackberry 9930 (unless connected to WiFi), you would be unable to be on a phone call and surf the web at the same time. Something that is a "marketing" point for AT&T (T-Mobile not-so-much, but AT&T and T-Mobile are the two major GSM carriers in the United States.)

Just a minor example of a difference. There's a vast amount of information in these threads relating to what you were asking about.

So, in essence YES, there is a pretty large difference between the two...!
    and this isnt a smartass remark either, but I obviously know that theres a difference in the radios. T Mobile has their GSM version out and I know it runs on different frequencies, but the AT&T version has to be pretty similar to that. I don't know its whatever I'm just glad I don't have AT&T
    09-25-11 09:36 AM
    With all of the speculations, rumors and delays.

I hope the reason behind hardware swaps and delays is because AT&T wants something special in their 9900.

If there was a hardware problem like with the BlackBerry Bold 9000 a few years back when carriers first released the devices (AT&T didn't) why haven't we heard anything yet?

I can only think of one thing they would try to toss in this phone, functionality with their 4G LTE and psuedo 4G (HSPA+) network.

Me, I don't want either, I run EDGE all day, every day, even in 3G coverage. Reason behind this is I sap through one and a half batteries a day on EDGE with wifi. 3G I sap through three. Yes I carry three batteries

So, about those lawsuits.... just kidding.
    09-25-11 11:08 AM
    3G I sap through three. Yes I carry three batteries
    Wow! You must be a HEAVY user.

As far as the delay, I'm just curious what the hardware changes will be.
    09-25-11 11:19 AM
    If this phone don't come out in Nov they should just cancel the phone.

3migo likes this.
    09-25-11 11:29 AM
1,957 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD