This is exactly what I'm worried about, and why that Verizon store down the road is becoming more and more tempting. Must resist. Must not walk in to store.
    Do it! i did 3 weeks ago and the 9930 is amazing. Truly world class. The real keyboard with touchscreen is meant to be.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-22-11 10:47 AM
    Very true, and yet when it was released it still had issues (as do other BlackBerries when they are released). And the 9780? What happened to that? Besides, it sure didn't seem to take AT&T long to get the 9810 on the shelves, did it?
    Wasn't the 9780 a pretty incremental upgrade to the 9700?
    09-22-11 11:08 AM
    Couldn't the same question be asked of all the Curve versions, Pearl versions, etc.? Besides, what about the AT&T branded 9780s floating around out there. Why even bother testing if the device was too "incremental" to ultimately release?
    09-22-11 11:54 AM
    Do it! i did 3 weeks ago and the 9930 is amazing. Truly world class. The real keyboard with touchscreen is meant to be.
    Verizon is sucking me in just fine without you helping them!
    09-22-11 11:56 AM
    From what I heard at the time, the release of the Bold 9000 on AT&T had to do with the carrier's inability to fully translate simultaneous voice and data into reality. The iPhone was released earlier, and BlackBerry saw that the touted advantage of GSM over CDMA was not being realized on this side of the pond (or 49th parallel - Canadians were already enjoying the Bold 9000). So RIM essentially held out until AT&T could show that their nascent 3G network was really up to the task.

That being said, it boggles the mind why we're being made to wait for the Bold 9900 this time. Perhaps some of the speculation is right - AT&T wants to figure out a way to sabotage the bridge between the BlackBerry phone and the Playbook so they can track usage and charge for tethering.

Whatever the reason may be, however, our complaining about it here is just venting. If you want the carrier's attention, post on their Facebook. AT&T has both their own facebook account, and within it a forum to discuss the Bold 9900 release. As of two days ago, there were seven comments on that forum. Seven. Considering how many people are coming here to vent, I'd say there's some seriously pent up frustration that could be better used to exert real pressure on the company in a public forum. You see, they don't have to pay attention to anything we write here, but when it's on their facebook page, and people see it both on their wall and on yours - that's the kind of public exposure they'd rather avoid.

So go forth and multiply those comments. And remember, you don't need to "like" AT&T to post on their wall, or in their forums.
    09-22-11 12:14 PM
    From what I heard at the time, the release of the Bold 9000 on AT&T had to do with the carrier's inability to fully translate simultaneous voice and data into reality. The iPhone was released earlier, and BlackBerry saw that the touted advantage of GSM over CDMA was not being realized on this side of the pond (or 49th parallel - Canadians were already enjoying the Bold 9000). So RIM essentially held out until AT&T could show that their nascent 3G network was really up to the task.

That being said, it boggles the mind why we're being made to wait for the Bold 9900 this time. Perhaps some of the speculation is right - AT&T wants to figure out a way to sabotage the bridge between the BlackBerry phone and the Playbook so they can track usage and charge for tethering.

Whatever the reason may be, however, our complaining about it here is just venting. If you want the carrier's attention, post on their Facebook. AT&T has both their own facebook account, and within it a forum to discuss the Bold 9900 release. As of two days ago, there were seven comments on that forum. Seven. Considering how many people are coming here to vent, I'd say there's some seriously pent up frustration that could be better used to exert real pressure on the company in a public forum. You see, they don't have to pay attention to anything we write here, but when it's on their facebook page, and people see it both on their wall and on yours - that's the kind of public exposure they'd rather avoid.

So go forth and multiply those comments. And remember, you don't need to "like" AT&T to post on their wall, or in their forums.
    The answer is pretty simple. They release the 9900 now and it would cannibalize sales of the 9810 (even with the low price point). They have exclusivity with the 9810, so they want to maximize sales of that as much as they can and trotting out a phone that is far and away superior would kill any chance they have of moving a significant portion of their Torch stock.

It would be one thing if people were lining up out the door to get Blackberrys, but they aren't. Even at RIM's high point for consumer saturation the demand was NEVER what it is for iPhone and Android. AT&T knows they are going to move BB devices, but mostly only to the RIM die hards and enterprise customers. RIM makes a good/sometimes great product that is very secure and does the few tasks that it does very well, but at this point BB has become a niche product and far away from the consumer mainstream....which is what carriers like AT&T are mostly concerned with.
    09-22-11 01:18 PM
    And to make matters worse, I just found out that Verizon is offering a $100 gift card for switching to their service. I would have to turn in a basic phone, but I have plenty sitting around to give them.

Hm... what time is it? Can I get to the store and back before I head home?
    09-22-11 02:09 PM
    It's called the Iphone 5.

Apple is holding AT&T's 9900 release up until after the Iphone 5 is released.

I5 release is 10/15 so that is right in line with when we are hearing the 9900 is being released....

It's in my Cart on Amazon, 'Unlocked 9900' for like $629. I've almost clicked on it like ten times. Man, this wait is just uncalled for AT&T!
    09-22-11 02:47 PM
    I hope I'm wrong, for the sake of all you AT&T guys in waiting... but I predict another 9780/AT&T fiasco

It's definitely coming... It's in testing... It's coming soon... aaaand it's gone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What the ......? Someone needs to give an update! PG? CX?
    09-22-11 05:00 PM
    What the ......? Someone needs to give an update! PG? CX?
    If I remember correctly, CX and PG were both under the impression last year that the 9780 was close to an AT&T release... until it was pulled at the last minute.

Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong... but all the signs are here again.

09-22-11 05:21 PM
    If I remember correctly, CX and PG were both under the impression last year that the 9780 was close to an AT&T release... until it was pulled at the last minute.

Yes but this time, AT&T has already given word that they will be bringing the 9900, it's just a matter of when.
    09-22-11 05:34 PM

well at&t thought the 9780 was just an incremental upgrade from the 9700 and felt that it was not worth to carry it.as far as the new bold is concerned,they've announced it in their blackberry 4g portfolio earlier this year.both bold and other new torch will be coming to at&t and i have a hunch we will see either one or both of them next month.but you must understand apple is at&t's first priority.so they are getting ready for the launch of the new iphone 5 and iphone 4s for early october.
    09-22-11 07:15 PM
    well at&t thought the 9780 was just an incremental upgrade from the 9700 and felt that it was not worth to carry it.as far as the new bold is concerned,they've announced it in their blackberry 4g portfolio earlier this year.both bold and other new torch will be coming to at&t and i have a hunch we will see either one or both of them next month.but you must understand apple is at&t's first priority.so they are getting ready for the launch of the new iphone 5 and iphone 4s for early october.
    November 20 Does not equal next month.

09-22-11 08:14 PM
    And to make matters worse, I just found out that Verizon is offering a $100 gift card for switching to their service. I would have to turn in a basic phone, but I have plenty sitting around to give them.

Hm... what time is it? Can I get to the store and back before I head home?
    That is tempting for me as well, the only thing keeping me on at&t is my grandfathered Unlimited Data.
    09-22-11 10:00 PM
    November 20 Does not equal next month.

these are the last statements cx and phonegeek made:

9860 will release ahead of 9900, probably very late September or first part of October. 9900 is 90% an October release.
    PG

If you take a look at the forums you can see there have been some HW & SW issues with the 9900. That's one reason for the delay. You also have to remember that AT&T has an Exclusive here with the 9810, hence why it went first. Both the 9860 & 9900 were in the AT&T lab and the 9860 had less problems with the network than the 9900 which is why it's ahead of the 9900 for release. I know it sucks for customers wanting it, but AT&T has always put quality first rather than just releasing a new device for profit.

Crucial_Xtreme On Twitter

we have yet to see cx and phonegeek come out and say the november 20 date is accurate.until then the information can be taken for what its worth.cx has the new units so he knows what he is talking about.phonegeek can also be trusted.but as the new iphones debut,i think the picture will get more clearer from at&t's perspective.
    09-22-11 10:40 PM
    If AT&T doesn't release the 9900 by the end of the year, I'll be jumping to Big Red to get one. I definitely feel more loyalty to RIM than I do to any money grubbing carrier.
    09-22-11 11:09 PM
    Verizon is sucking me in just fine without you helping them!
    Don't do it !!! today i tried to bbm my friend who got 9930 on Verizon and because he was on the phone with GF i never got it. So you decide now if it worth ed to give up trusted at&t that works as it supposed to to CDMA 9930
    09-22-11 11:33 PM
    The only time I use voice and data simultaneously is when tethering/hotspot sharing (which isn't often). I don't text/BBM and talk at the same time, so while I understand what you are saying, that scenario doesn't matter to me.
    09-23-11 08:53 AM
    The only time I use voice and data simultaneously is when tethering/hotspot sharing (which isn't often). I don't text/BBM and talk at the same time, so while I understand what you are saying, that scenario doesn't matter to me.
    I'm not also, but what i was meaning is if you are on the phone (call) and someone tries to bbm you...you will never got it even after you hang on phone call, capiche
    09-23-11 01:47 PM
    What are you talking about? Data resumes once the call is terminated. Ergo, the BBM message will deliver after the call completes. BBM messages don't drop off the face of the earth just because someone with a CDMA BlackBerry is using the phone.
    09-23-11 01:52 PM
    What are you talking about? Data resumes once the call is terminated. Ergo, the BBM message will deliver after the call completes. BBM messages don't drop off the face of the earth just because someone with a CDMA BlackBerry is using the phone.
    True that!
    09-23-11 03:40 PM
    I'm not also, but what i was meaning is if you are on the phone (call) and someone tries to bbm you...you will never got it even after you hang on phone call, capiche
    This is incorrect info. BBM's come in after the call is completed as others have stated.
    09-23-11 04:47 PM
    There is no HW or SW issues. I have a rogers 9900 and phone has great rf, call quality and battery life. It has also been released on TMO and VZW and Sprint as well as many global carriers. If there were any issues we would have heard by now
    09-23-11 07:15 PM
    There is no HW or SW issues. I have a rogers 9900 and phone has great rf, call quality and battery life. It has also been released on TMO and VZW and Sprint as well as many global carriers. If there were any issues we would have heard by now
    I don't believe there is a HW or SW issues either - some here have said it's due to "network" issues, so that's not the phone. As you said, it already been released by many carriers. Heck, India and Vietnam has it but yet A Suck & Suck can't get it out? I think the delay is because they are in bed with Apple. The Apple announcement is set for October 4th.....after the Iphone 5 is released, we will hear about the 9900.
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-23-11 08:27 PM
    I just switched back to BlackBerry from Android having the Infuse, Atrix and Dell Streak. I moved back to the BlackBerry world and got a cheap Bold 9000 just to get ready for the 9900 when it arives. Had to brush up after having Android for almost 2 years. So Im in preparing stages as of now. Anxiously awaiting!
    09-23-11 08:51 PM
1,957 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD