i used to work at the mothership and this is almost like the launch of the 9000. at the time i had one in my hands as a tester and would come to the forum and read how ticked off everyone was about att holding off the launch for another phone,while no one outside the company knew of the problems the phone was having and the i initial launch was pushed out.

jump ahead 3 years, the network is more complex meaning the testing is no longer as simple as it was for TA. then add in a business decision of what makes the cash register sing. those of us in these forums have an addiction lol.

i went into a store nearby that had a vzw 9930 and man i spent the day looking for the best unlocked deal i could find. release date? who knows. there are folks who are on the forum who know but they cannot say. till then the forums help the addiction.
    08-28-11 09:48 AM
    I'm curious how there are "software issues" on the 9900, but not on the 9810 or the 9860? Aren't the operating systems the same....so one would think that an issue on one device would exist on all of them? Or is it the NFC functionality that is causing the issue?
    Actually there are a few SW issues on the 9860 as well. While there are some HW similarities between these devices there are still plenty of differences as well. NFC is not the issue at this point.

Quality is probably their concern, but it appears the iphone LTE will be released about the same time as the 9900 and at the same time as the ATT LTE limited market rollout. As much as I want a 9900 this very second, if the Iphone LTE and the 9900 HSPA+ come out at the same time on ATT, I will do some comparing and deep thought. I am not sure I will lock in to an HSPA+ phone if LTE is released at the same time and works. I suppose from an ATT standpoint it is a win no matter what. RIM had to see this coming. They really blew it. This may be their demise. 1st to market wins even if the iphone is not to BB standards. RIM delayed and delayed. I would have rather they delayed 2 more months and released LTE chipsets to be ready. The iphone4 vs BB7 comparisons show them the same speed. iphone LTE will probably blow BB7 away. Unless RIM can get something LTE out before Christmas, it will surely be the end.
    Actually I sincerely doubt that the coming iPhone will be LTE capable. LTE is in its infancy and the radios for devices and networks are just not ready to handle the demand that this device would generate...

PG
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    08-28-11 10:52 AM
    What takes longer to fix? Hardware problems, Trackpads, Hard Keys, Fit & Finish, or making changes to firmware?

What kind of quality issues are the 9930 units having?

I assume the 9900 and 9930 are on different assembly lines, even if the location is the same.

Do we really want a lot of 2nd rate units or do we want perfect phones like the att 9000?

Verizon has always provided crap phones and personally I believe its because they want RIM to have the assembly lines cut as many corners as they possibly can. That has always been the way Verizon has operated. The only good one I know of was the 9780 and it was built using assembly techniques developed for the att 9700.

If you need a temporary unit get a 9000 for a hundred bucks. They are super easy to work on because of the metal frame sandwiched between the front and back. The clam shell plastic units are crap.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-28-11 at 06:26 PM.
    08-28-11 06:18 PM
    90% october wow.now that certainly changes things for me.the i5 is set to come out in october as well.thats put the i5 back in the mix for me.you say 9860 september.so the entire picture is changed now.i get to test i5,bold,9860 all before picking one up at at&t for my upgrade day.but i think at&t at least should have mentioned of the hw&sw issues are with the device.that will at least cool off the angry for the time being.im never going to go cdma(verizon) because i like what gsm(at&t) offers-simultaneous voice/data.but at&t is kind of pushing it.the end of 2011 is not when you want to release these phones.qnx is 2012.people are go to be hesitant to buy when they can wait for even better devices.i plan on playing with these 3 thoroughly so i can be satisfied before choosing.i have been waiting like forever to upgrade.so i guess i got to bite 1 more month.
    08-28-11 08:45 PM
    Maybe I am dense here, but I just don't get how the phone's hardware/software can be good enough for Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Rogers, Telus, O2, etc, etc, etc....but not for AT&T.

After all...this is the same company that let the 9800, with all of it's hardware and software flaws, hit the market.
    08-28-11 09:02 PM
    90% october wow.now that certainly changes things for me.the i5 is set to come out in october as well.thats put the i5 back in the mix for me.you say 9860 september.so the entire picture is changed now.i get to test i5,bold,9860 all before picking one up at at&t for my upgrade day.but i think at&t at least should have mentioned of the hw&sw issues are with the device.that will at least cool off the angry for the time being.im never going to go cdma(verizon) because i like what gsm(at&t) offers-simultaneous voice/data.but at&t is kind of pushing it.the end of 2011 is not when you want to release these phones.qnx is 2012.people are go to be hesitant to buy when they can wait for even better devices.i plan on playing with these 3 thoroughly so i can be satisfied before choosing.i have been waiting like forever to upgrade.so i guess i got to bite 1 more month.
    This is the same time frame I've been saying for awhile now...
    Maybe I am dense here, but I just don't get how the phone's hardware/software can be good enough for Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Rogers, Telus, O2, etc, etc, etc....but not for AT&T.

After all...this is the same company that let the 9800, with all of it's hardware and software flaws, hit the market.
    I agree with you about 9800, that device didn't go through the regular testing procedures as RIM pushed AT&T to test it like the do the iPhone (in secret) because they felt it would (incorrectly) compete with the iPhone. This was a lesson learned and we won't allow another device (besides iPhone because we're barred by contract from changing it) to be sold unless it has successfully completed the normal testing process.

As for it being good enough for other carriers... Perhaps you should research this forum back in 2008 regarding the problems found on the 9000 by at&t's testing process and how RIM and all those carriers had to eat a lot 9000's that had flaws because the carriers believed RIM when they were told the device was solid...

PG
    Last edited by phonegeek; 08-28-11 at 09:21 PM.
    08-28-11 09:19 PM
    This is the same time fram I've been saying for awhile now...

I agree with you about 9800, that device didn't go through the regular testing procedures as RIM pushed AT&T to test it like the do the iPhone (in secret) because they felt it would (incorrectly) compete with the iPhone. This was a lesson learned and we won't allow another device (besides iPhone because we're barred by contract from changing it) to be sold unless it has successfully completed the normal testing process.

As for it being good enough for other carriers... Perhaps you should research this forum back in 2008 regarding the problems found on the 9000 by at&t's testing process and how RIM and all those carriers had to eat a lot 9000's that had flaws because the carriers believed RIM when they were told the device was solid...

PG
    Why do you and crucial keep bringing up the 9000? That was like 3 years ago, the 9900 doesn't have the same problems the 9000 had, if it did explain to me why its currently the highest rated phone on verizon's website. I've been using an unlocked 9900 on AT&T and haven't had one single problem with it. There's a reason why AT&T hasn't realsed the 9900 yet but the device not being ready isn't one of them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blanc71; 08-28-11 at 09:31 PM.
    08-28-11 09:27 PM

PG
    Following that same line of thinking, how does AT&T get the 9810 out to the market so fast, but we're months away from the full screen Torch and the Bold Touch? I realize that we're not exactly talking about apples to apples here, but it does seem curious that the only phone that AT&T has an exclusive deal with is the only one that is release ready.
    08-28-11 09:53 PM
    Following that same line of thinking, how does AT&T get the 9810 out to the market so fast, but we're months away from the full screen Torch and the Bold Touch? I realize that we're not exactly talking about apples to apples here, but it does seem curious that the only phone that AT&T has an exclusive deal with is the only one that is release ready.
    EXACTLY they pushed the torch 2 the phone that nobody wants.

08-28-11 10:14 PM
    Why do you and crucial keep bringing up the 9000? That was like 3 years ago, the 9900 doesn't have the same problems the 9000 had, if it did explain to me why its currently the highest rated phone on verizon's website. I've been using an unlocked 9900 on AT&T and haven't had one single problem with it. There's a reason why AT&T hasn't realsed the 9900 yet but the device not being ready isn't one of them.

Why do you and some of the others purposely ignore all the quality issues posted here at Crackberry by users regarding the 99XX phones and continue to moan about cold war plots to hold back the devices??? AT&T is slow with all the devices. The 9810 is literally a repackaged 9800 with a few changes and it is also exclusive with AT&T, all reasons for it being first. Yeah, I want one too but I swear I have never seen a bigger bunch of babies in my life.

Last edited by olblueyez; 08-28-11 at 10:24 PM.
    08-28-11 10:18 PM
    Why do you and some of the others purposely ignore all the quality issues posted here at Crackberry by users regarding the 99XX phones and continue to moan about cold war plots to hold back the devices??? AT&T is slow with all the devices. The 9810 is literally a repackaged 9800 with a few changes and it is also exclusive with AT&T, all reasons for it being first. Yeah, I want one too but I swear I have never seen a bigger bunch of babies in my life.

All phones have quality issues AT&T can release the phones when they want. I just don't buy that the device isn't ready. Why are you ignoring the user raiting for the device on verizon website??

08-28-11 10:31 PM
    All phones have quality issues AT&T can release the phones when they want. I just don't buy that the device isn't ready. Why are you ignoring the user raiting for the device on verizon website??

Because user ratings on the Verizon website are on the Verizon website.

Why do you ignore the complaints by real users here?

Do I really have to explain this? Really???

08-28-11 10:55 PM
    wow at&t is causing a war amongst people.next thing you know there will be riots and protests outside of at&t.this is bigger than politics lol.
    08-28-11 11:08 PM
    Because user ratings on the Verizon website are on the Verizon website.

Why do you ignore the complaints by real users here?

Do I really have to explain this? Really???

I am a realy user I've been using the device unlocked on AT&T for over a week and havn't had a single issue so far. All blackberry users have accepted the fact their new device with have bugs, that's pretty much standard with RIM so why would matter in delaying the release, the problems are not the same the 9000 sufferd from.

08-28-11 11:23 PM
    I see World War III for Impatient AT&T fans. lol.
    08-28-11 11:27 PM
    I am a realy user I've been using the device unlocked on AT&T for over a week and havn't had a single issue so far. All blackberry users have accepted the fact their new device with have bugs, that's pretty much standard with RIM so why would matter in delaying the release, the problems are not the same the 9000 sufferd from.

You going to fix defective buttons, trackpads, and other hardware issues with a firmware update? Really????? For Real?????????

Ok, so here is a new theory, is it possible the bureaucracy at att is about as thick and slow as the leadership? It wouldn't be the first time leaders of a giant corporation were dumber than the toll booth operators on the turnpike.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-29-11 at 12:01 AM.
    08-28-11 11:51 PM
    I am just as anxious as all of you to get my hands on Bold 9900 (one that's not attached to the security device at a competitor's store) and just as irritated that AT&T is holding out on releasing the date but com'on everyone, let's play nice.
    We are all entitled to our theories of when it will be released.

I'm still thinking that we are going to be a surprise on the 31st!
    08-29-11 11:16 AM
    So I went to a tmobile over the weekend and met a girl I went to high school with. She has worked there for 5 years and is a member of this site. I asked her when she'd have a Bold 9900 and she said the 31. I asked if she had any idea of just how much network I could have with the new unit as I have att. She insisted and called someone she knew, and both of them said I should be able to have hspa+ on the tmobile version unlocked. I know that I'm going to get flamed and be called a troll but wanted to pass on such information. She told me it is because the 3g bands and 4g(h+) are starting to be the same bands as atts. I know that previously the tmobile would only be edge on att, but they both insisted on the bold 9900 and future blackberrys they'd be compatible on both carriers due to tmobiles changes. I'm not trying to be correct about anything, just asking if anyone has heard of knows if this is fact.

08-29-11 11:32 AM
    So I went to a tmobile over the weekend and met a girl I went to high school with. She has worked there for 5 years and is a member of this site. I asked her when she'd have a Bold 9900 and she said the 31. I asked if she had any idea of just how much network I could have with the new unit as I have att. She insisted and called someone she knew, and both of them said I should be able to have hspa+ on the tmobile version unlocked. I know that I'm going to get flamed and be called a troll but wanted to pass on such information. She told me it is because the 3g bands and 4g(h+) are starting to be the same bands as atts. I know that previously the tmobile would only be edge on att, but they both insisted on the bold 9900 and future blackberrys they'd be compatible on both carriers due to tmobiles changes. I'm not trying to be correct about anything, just asking if anyone has heard of knows if this is fact.

I would be very interested to hear this if any one knows.
    08-29-11 11:37 AM

I agree

The merger is about to start and I don't think they want to make it harder by continue to make different bands.
    08-29-11 11:56 AM
    i just got off the phone with att CS and the woman i spoke with mentioned Aug 31st as well...however, i have doubts about the validity of her info....but i hope its true
    08-29-11 11:58 AM
    I was referring to the availability at tmobile. And so that's a little more reasoning as to why it may work. I don't want to be a guinea pig though, until my information has been verified lol. But I did get to play with the phone at tmobile, and I am pumped just after the 5 minutes with it!! I would take it even with hardware/software issues! I've ripped apart a bb before, this one can't be that hard! I mean I'm using an all orange 9000 at the moment lol

Ryder420420 likes this.
    08-29-11 12:08 PM
    If it was "August 31", we would have known something by now with pictures with pricing or Ads just like all the other carriers had advertised. It's already the 29th, sorry to get your hopes up.
    08-29-11 12:54 PM
    If ANYTHING, it would be an announcement.
    08-29-11 01:29 PM
    They will release it as soon as they set the price for you usuing NFC lol.

08-29-11 01:54 PM
1,957 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD