If anything, I would have thought AT&T would have been the first to release the 9900. About 3 months ago I lost my 9700 and went in there to get a new one, only to be told they didn't sell it anymore. All they had was the Torch and the Curve. I couldn't believe they didn't have a flagship Bold device. After then reading about the upcoming 9900 I felt sure they'd stopped selling the 9700 because they were about to replace it with the 9900 at the earliest opportunity. Three months later and what do they have? The Curve and the 9810.

Yesterday my freaking old 9000, which is what I've been using since I lost my 9700 (and rejected the Torch 9800 upgrade they offered me), conked out. The keyboard stopped working, so I took it apart and gave the keyboard contacts a good clean with alcohol. It fixed the problem, but in putting it back together two of the little screws snapped and now one side of it is prizing apart. I now have an old Bold held together with duct tape, with a disconnect button which barely works, and a wonky screen, and one side of the keyboard needs super hard presses to get it to work, and the freaking thing is going to fall apart on me at any minute I just know it. I could go in the store right now and upgrade to a 9810 but dammit I hate the sliding keyboards and if I'm going to go all-touch then I'm going to wait for the iPhone 5. At this rate, if the iPhone 5 comes out before the 9900 on AT&T I'm going to give that a try first. God I hate AT&T.

So wait until that phone dies, and go get the curve or torch. You have 30 days to return it for something else. You could return it for the bold if it comes out in October.
    08-27-11 08:16 AM
    An ATT rep told me yesterday that the 9900 is on their product offering list for September.
    I'd like to see this "list".
    08-27-11 09:22 AM
    hate the fuel this rumor mill thread but I just chatted with a service rep (I wont call them customer service reps because they clearly arent concerned with the customer.. coming from a professional in that industry) and they said "The item that you've asked about is not yet listed on our website and we do not have any advance information regarding its release.".

Just to confirm the reps dont know about the release date.. Like everyone else this is like getting teeth pulled.. And after watching hours of youtube videos and reading online reviews I snuck into a verizon store last thursday. Bad idea. Now I am dying to get one. It was even more impressive in real life. The keyboard is as spacious as the Fed's pockets and the screen as vibrant as ochocinco's off field activities.

Let's go at&t, get your act together as I am very seriously look at converting. The only thing holding me back is the advantage of rollover minutes.. (What a great concept, and one no one else has. I can buy the smallest minute plan and then save minutes to use in later months.. awesome.. unlike the rest of att)..
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    08-27-11 10:06 AM
    Hey, guys who looking to leave at&t only because delay of Bold-9900...sure go a head and get Verizon's or Sprints 9930 and pay more $$$ every months for their ridiculous expensive plans and lack of browsing and calling at same time.
    Its a known fact that Verizon's data speed is not as good as at&t...yes i know they have reliable voice calls but who cares, most of us BlackBerry users love this phones more for its data and email capabilities, so so far at&t doing its job very well.
    I will patiently wait till at&t releases this phone and till then will use my beautiful, reliable Bold-9700.
    08-27-11 01:40 PM
    It's quite reasonable to hate AT&T for their delay in bringing this phone out. There are a lot of people out there whose phones are on their last legs who have been holding out on their upgrade since they heard about the 9900, only to find out that AT&T is waiting what looks like 2 full months after everyone else to release it. Of course I'm not blaming AT&T for losing my 9700, but neither am I blaming myself for my over-2-year-old 9000 developing problems. I've always treated it well and it's in a case and has never gotten wet and has only been dropped once. It's just come to the end of its natural life, which has been good considering the thing has never been out of my hand.
    Well, sure....we all want the 9900.....but I too have a 9000 that I keep and I find it hard to believe that you say it has "come to the end of it's natural life" after 2 to 3 years. That's all I'm saying. If ya take care of them, they last. Treat them like crap, they won't.

AT&T did the same thing with the 9000 release - they delayed it while all they other carriers released. Most other carriers had issues, while AT&T did not.
    djransom likes this.
    08-27-11 03:17 PM
    Well, sure....we all want the 9900.....but I too have a 9000 that I keep and I find it hard to believe that you say it has "come to the end of it's natural life" after 2 to 3 years. That's all I'm saying. If ya take care of them, they last. Treat them like crap, they won't.

AT&T did the same thing with the 9000 release - they delayed it while all they other carriers released. Most other carriers had issues, while AT&T did not.
    Listen up. I did not treat my phone badly. The keyboard just stopped working. The white sticker is not showing any water damage. I don't know why the screws snapped. But things deteriorate with reasonable wear and tear. I'm out and about all day 7 days a week and run my business on this thing. So the reasonable rate of wear and tear is going to be faster than someone who uses theirs say half or a quarter as much. Components these days aren't built to last forever - why would they be? They're expected to withstand a certain amount of stress before failing. Some components are even pre-stressed to fail after a certain number of uses (a physics teacher who used to work for Unilever washing machines told me that). Other components have a definite lifespan that is rated explicitly, for instance camera shutters. You cannot expect anything to last forever these days, no matter how much you baby it.

I don't understand the tendency on this forum for some to get all high and mighty and pompous with others who report problems with their phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 03:38 PM
    Listen up. I did not treat my phone badly. The keyboard just stopped working. The white sticker is not showing any water damage. I don't know why the screws snapped. But things deteriorate with reasonable wear and tear. I'm out and about all day 7 days a week and run my business on this thing. So the reasonable rate of wear and tear is going to be faster than someone who uses theirs say half or a quarter as much. Components these days aren't built to last forever - why would they be? They're expected to withstand a certain amount of stress before failing. Some components are even pre-stressed to fail after a certain number of uses (a physics teacher who used to work for Unilever washing machines told me that). Other components have a definite lifespan that is rated explicitly, for instance camera shutters. You cannot expect anything to last forever these days, no matter how much you baby it.

I don't understand the tendency on this forum for some to get all high and mighty and pompous with others who report problems with their phones.

Eh, never mind. Not worth it.
    Last edited by ibcop; 08-27-11 at 04:25 PM.
    08-27-11 03:50 PM
    Look at what you're doing AT&T!!! You're making your customers ornery and we're turning against each other.

We should organize a flash mob and just start bombarding AT&T's customer support lines/inboxes with "WE WANT THE 9900".
    08-27-11 03:58 PM
    Back on topic please....
    08-27-11 03:59 PM

Yes they did. The 9000 dropped in November 2008 and the phone was a big hit.
    08-27-11 04:36 PM
    this tread is gettin hot lol
    08-27-11 04:45 PM
    november is definitely out of the question.that month or december will belong to the 9860 release.also this not going to work like it did in 2008.october belongs to iphone 5,so i really find it hard for at&t to have the bold in that month as well.at&t wouldn't want anything to take away the glory from their prized i5 that period of time.so that leaves september,which is the right time.but not mid sept/late sept.got to do it early sept.august 31 is huge if they want it out in sept.announcement must be made.im hoping at&t gets it over with.so they can move on and prepare for i5.
    08-27-11 06:25 PM
    Does anyone else find themselves checking this thread multiple times daily just to see if theres any solid link with information? Haha. I'mmm sooo lame...
    08-27-11 06:32 PM
    Does anyone else find themselves checking this thread multiple times daily just to see if theres any solid link with information? Haha. I'mmm sooo lame...
    i do, multiple times every day
    08-27-11 06:52 PM
    i do, multiple times every day
    Absolutely my friend!

08-27-11 06:54 PM
    I still think we will see it September. October-iphone, november-torch 2, December, all three should be out. Let's just say ATT is booked solid.

08-27-11 07:09 PM
    november is definitely out of the question.that month or december will belong to the 9860 release.also this not going to work like it did in 2008.october belongs to iphone 5,so i really find it hard for at&t to have the bold in that month as well.at&t wouldn't want anything to take away the glory from their prized i5 that period of time.so that leaves september,which is the right time.but not mid sept/late sept.got to do it early sept.august 31 is huge if they want it out in sept.announcement must be made.im hoping at&t gets it over with.so they can move on and prepare for i5.
    9860 will release ahead of 9900, probably very late September or first part of October. 9900 is 90% an October release. Also I am an iPhone hater as much or more than most people here but you guys really have to get past this compulsion and face the reality that RIM is not competing with iPhone on this device. Blackberry users that spend a significant amount of time here are a very small percentage of smart phone users. While we hope RIM will improve and more directly compete with the iPhone they are not there yet. To at&t having this device is good but no one thinks of it as threatening to the iPhone in any way...

PG
    08-27-11 07:55 PM
    I still think we will see it September. October-iphone, november-torch 2, December, all three should be out. Let's just say ATT is booked solid.

Ummmmm....the Torch 2 was released August 21st.
    08-27-11 08:11 PM
    9860 will release ahead of 9900, probably very late September or first part of October. 9900 is 90% an October release. Also I am an iPhone hater as much or more than most people here but you guys really have to get past this compulsion and face the reality that RIM is not competing with iPhone on this device. Blackberry users that spend a significant amount of time here are a very small percentage of smart phone users. While we hope RIM will improve and more directly compete with the iPhone they are not there yet. To at&t having this device is good but no one thinks of it as threatening to the iPhone in any way...

PG
    unfortunately,this document contracts this.
    AT&T roadmap shows Q4 release for the BlackBerry Torch 9860 and BlackBerry Curve 9360 | CrackBerry.com
    your right that rim is not competing with iphone.but its at&t sticking to their top dog(i5) over rim's offerings.you will see this when you walk into at&t stores.iphones are front and center always on display.
    08-27-11 08:17 PM
    AT&T roadmap shows Q4 release for the BlackBerry Torch 9860 and BlackBerry Curve 9360 | CrackBerry.com
    your right that rim is not competing with iphone.but its at&t sticking to their top dog(i5) over rim's offerings.you will see this when you walk into at&t stores.iphones are front and center always on display.
    They aren't at the AT&T store closest to me. The iPhone section is off to the side. But can you blame them? I would put most highest selling product front and center to. After all is it a business. And it's not like since June 2010 RIM has had much to brag about, if anything at all.

The bottom line is just like PG said, the 9900 isn't in competition with the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. There's never been any BlackBerry on the market that's sold 1.7 million devices in the first 3 days of release.

If you take a look at the forums you can see there have been some HW & SW issues with the 9900. That's one reason for the delay. You also have to remember that AT&T has an Exclusive here with the 9810, hence why it went first. Both the 9860 & 9900 were in the AT&T lab and the 9860 had less problems with the network than the 9900 which is why it's ahead of the 9900 for release. I know it sucks for customers wanting it, but AT&T has always put quality first rather than just releasing a new device for profit.
    08-27-11 08:29 PM
    Yes I am quite aware what the document says. It doesn't mention 9900 at all and all it says for 9860 is Q4 which begins October 1. I think the 9860 could beat that by a week based on current testing.

The document is what it says it is. A roadmap that our high level market VPs have and is probably the one that came out in April judging by the other devices listed on it so while it may be close it be careful not to treat it as gospel...

PG
    08-27-11 08:57 PM
    I bet once they release the 9900 ATT will make that 1.7 million since it will be the Only device capable of working Smoothly and with no complications.

08-27-11 10:05 PM
    And PG and CX have spoken...CLOSE THE THREAD FOR OUR SANITY!!!!

haha.
    08-27-11 10:16 PM
    They aren't at the AT&T store closest to me. The iPhone section is off to the side. But can you blame them? I would put most highest selling product front and center to. After all is it a business. And it's not like since June 2010 RIM has had much to brag about, if anything at all.

The bottom line is just like PG said, the 9900 isn't in competition with the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. There's never been any BlackBerry on the market that's sold 1.7 million devices in the first 3 days of release.

If you take a look at the forums you can see there have been some HW & SW issues with the 9900. That's one reason for the delay. You also have to remember that AT&T has an Exclusive here with the 9810, hence why it went first. Both the 9860 & 9900 were in the AT&T lab and the 9860 had less problems with the network than the 9900 which is why it's ahead of the 9900 for release. I know it sucks for customers wanting it, but AT&T has always put quality first rather than just releasing a new device for profit.
    I'm curious how there are "software issues" on the 9900, but not on the 9810 or the 9860? Aren't the operating systems the same....so one would think that an issue on one device would exist on all of them? Or is it the NFC functionality that is causing the issue?
    08-27-11 11:55 PM
    Quality is probably their concern, but it appears the iphone LTE will be released about the same time as the 9900 and at the same time as the ATT LTE limited market rollout. As much as I want a 9900 this very second, if the Iphone LTE and the 9900 HSPA+ come out at the same time on ATT, I will do some comparing and deep thought. I am not sure I will lock in to an HSPA+ phone if LTE is released at the same time and works. I suppose from an ATT standpoint it is a win no matter what. RIM had to see this coming. They really blew it. This may be their demise. 1st to market wins even if the iphone is not to BB standards. RIM delayed and delayed. I would have rather they delayed 2 more months and released LTE chipsets to be ready. The iphone4 vs BB7 comparisons show them the same speed. iphone LTE will probably blow BB7 away. Unless RIM can get something LTE out before Christmas, it will surely be the end.
    08-28-11 05:36 AM
1,957 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD