Hi,

Whenever I step outside into daylight or direct sunlight the screen goes erratic.
    It wants to keep scrolling to the bottom the whole time. Whether it's the home screen or within an application it goes into "auto scroll" as soon as sunlight hits the screen. Stepping back inside from outside the device immediately starts behaving normally again. No reboots or battery pulls required.

The device works perfectly inside the house at all times or in the car as it always has done but whenever I'm outside and it's exposed to the light it's effectively unusable.

I can't put my finger on when this behaviour started or whether it's connected to the OS version I have - I'm in the UK connected to Vodafone with the latest OS 7.1.0 Bundle 2807 - but it's driving me crazy!

Just wondered if anybody else had experienced this screen behaviour and if there was a cure.

Thanks
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-16-14 11:09 AM
    Hi,

Whenever I step outside into daylight or direct sunlight the screen goes erratic.
    It wants to keep scrolling to the bottom the whole time. Whether it's the home screen or within an application it goes into "auto scroll" as soon as sunlight hits the screen. Stepping back inside from outside the device immediately starts behaving normally again. No reboots or battery pulls required.

The device works perfectly inside the house at all times or in the car as it always has done but whenever I'm outside and it's exposed to the light it's effectively unusable.

I can't put my finger on when this behaviour started or whether it's connected to the OS version I have - I'm in the UK connected to Vodafone with the latest OS 7.1.0 Bundle 2807 - but it's driving me crazy!

Just wondered if anybody else had experienced this screen behaviour and if there was a cure.

Thanks
    Hi Garabaldi - it always drove me mad with my 9900 - it's the sunlight on the optical trackpad - if you can shield the trackpad, the problem goes away. For me, it was one of the two biggest design faults of the 9900 (the other one was having Wi-Fi Calling instead of the previous UMA/GAN)

You are not the only person to suffer

Suggestion: move to the UK as we don't have many days of sunshine..... (Denmark's even better)
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-16-14 12:18 PM
    OMG! Your're absolutely right. Thank you very much for the reply. I'm in the UK and I've just been outside on a bright sunny day and performed the test. If I cover the trackpad with my thumb nothing happens (perfect), remove my thumb to expose the trackpad to sunlight and hey-ho the erratic screen cuts it. I've been downgrading the software release by release to see if this strange behaviour came in at a software upgrade but it's probably been there all the time and I just hadn't realised. I tend not to use it outside very much and as you say sunshine is at a premium here in the UK!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    06-17-14 08:37 AM
    Try replace trackpad!
    06-17-14 07:57 PM
    Yep, same here in Sunny Warwickshire with my Bold 9900. I often observe that behaviour in bright sunshine, after scratching my head for a while I've decided to live with it ... not too big a problem in the UK!
    Had guessed it was some type of light sensor issue but the trackpad optical sensor (discussed by BigAl_BB9900 ) sounds like a plausible explanation.
    06-20-14 06:35 AM
    That's weird. My 9900 doesn't play up under sunlight, but it does when it's around moderate winds. I figured maybe the trackpad is really sensitive to any force that came in contact with it, so I did what others did and put some scotch tape over the trackpad, and it doesn't screw around anymore.

Well that's my closest experience to this.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    06-20-14 08:52 PM
    Yep, same here in Sunny Warwickshire with my Bold 9900. I often observe that behaviour in bright sunshine, after scratching my head for a while I've decided to live with it ... not too big a problem in the UK!
    Had guessed it was some type of light sensor issue but the trackpad optical sensor (discussed by BigAl_BB9900 ) sounds like a plausible explanation.
    The reason I have always thought that this annoyance was caused by bright light, is that the problem also happened in operating theatres (that have incredibly bright lighting)
    06-21-14 07:23 AM