RIM put a cheap pinhole camera on the back of the phone. Remember those? Sure, most stuff was in focus at normal distances, but they required more light and couldn't get very close to the subject at all.

So, yes, like those cheap, disposable film cameras of old... this is what the new bold has.

I went to the Verizon store thinking, "I guess I can sacrifice the camera for the speed and keyboard of the new bold". I walked into the store, and did my best to take some close up shots.

In spite of my pep talk to buy the thing, the camera was useless... it wouldn't even work in the most emergency pinch situation for me.

I use my phone for work. The camera is used as a scanner and fax machine quite beautifully on my 9650. Once I discovered this utility, I couldn't stop. Even when outdoors, I could put the document on the hood of the car and within a minute, the photo was up in my dropbox on all computers linked. Amazing.

Drats! I then found myself hoping that the cheaper Curve would have the autofocus camera. Drats again!

Sticking with my 9650 for now... and dabbling with other brands of smartphones
    09-09-11 06:31 AM
    In spite of my pep talk to buy the thing, the camera was useless... it wouldn't even work in the most emergency pinch situation for me.
    Because the camera works best if you're moving over 100+ mph.
    09-09-11 06:46 AM
    It wasn't my intent to mislead. I was under the impression that the 9900 had true continuous focus as the only default focus mode vs. the 9780 that allowed you to choose between autofocus and contniuous.

Thanks for the comment.
    At least you finally "man up" and admit that you're wrong. You need to keep that ego in check. I took the time and effort to dissect your erroneous post and write the correct, factual information (in a non-inflammatory way) so others who got misled by your post would not be duped into thinking that the 9900 camera has a camera equal to a Nikon DSLR which is what you said. You shot me off for writing a "thesis" and said that you are very familiar with AF systems.

If you are truly here to help, admit your mistake next time instead of pissing off people who tried to correct you! Don't be a hypocrite.
    aNYthing24 likes this.
    09-09-11 07:42 AM
    RIM put a cheap pinhole camera on the back of the phone. Remember those? Sure, most stuff was in focus at normal distances, but they required more light and couldn't get very close to the subject at all.

So, yes, like those cheap, disposable film cameras of old... this is what the new bold has.

I went to the Verizon store thinking, "I guess I can sacrifice the camera for the speed and keyboard of the new bold". I walked into the store, and did my best to take some close up shots.

I use my phone for work. The camera is used as a scanner and fax machine quite beautifully on my 9650. Once I discovered this utility, I couldn't stop. Even when outdoors, I could put the document on the hood of the car and within a minute, the photo was up in my dropbox on all computers linked. Amazing.

Drats! I then found myself hoping that the cheaper Curve would have the autofocus camera. Drats again!

Sticking with my 9650 for now... and dabbling with other brands of smartphones
    How many more pictures of tiny text do I have to take before I can convince people that the 9900 CAN take decent photos of documents?
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-09-11 at 07:49 AM.
    09-09-11 07:47 AM
    This thread it TRULY whats wrong with CB and primadonna crack heads!
    I'm all to through with CB and the Blackberry elitists and the petty jabs.
    Kevin, you started a great thing here, too bad you have to let crap like this hang around with all the helpful, constructive things CB does.
    I'm definitely going to "unsubscribe to all posts" so I won't be tempted to read all the flamers responding to this post.
    Some ppl on CB are truly pathetic........
    09-09-11 07:54 AM
    Guys,
    i'm new to this forum, but after reading page after page i'de like to take my first post to say half of you guys are brainless monkeys, and the person who wrote this post about the camera always being in focus should be banned from this forum for such stupidity.
    clearly the camera does not EVER focus and i found this out today.
    i had just purchased my 9930 yesterday and to say the least i was extremely disapointed this morning while taking a close up shot. i use the autofocus and close up shots on EVERYSINGLE shot i've ever took. And when the person who wrote this made a comment about people complaining about a feature RIM removed that they werent even using you just sounded like the biggest jacka** - the phone comes with autofocus as default. Cant beleive i wasted my time to take a whole 10 minutes of my day to read your stupidity.
    heres a comparison of my fathers 9650, and my 9930

9650 shot below

heres a shot of my 9930
    09-09-11 01:08 PM
    Not to flame too much, but I would have thought that one with a $2,000 DSLR, and owning the 9900 would have done enough research to know the 9900 was a EDOF camera, this info came out quite soon after the first release of the device in public.

@poeser : nice first post...calling "half of you guys are brainless monkeys, and the person who wrote this post about the camera always being in focus should be banned from this forum for such stupidity." Perhaps you should be banned for you 'intelligence'.
    09-09-11 04:36 PM
    @Graheem - 'suck it'
    09-11-11 07:10 PM
    Ahh come'on.......REALLY? OVER A POST?
    (I forgot to unsubscribe......I'll be doing it now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by berryjunkie; 09-11-11 at 07:51 PM.
    09-11-11 07:19 PM
    This thread has gone on long enough. The OP posted something he took the time out to write up and he's getting attacked because a point or two may have been off.

Some folks really need to grow up.

Thanks again to the OP! I'm enjoying my 9930's cam and for the pics I take, they seem to be taking them better than my iPhone 4, my 9700, my 9800, and the list goes on.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    09-11-11 11:23 PM
185 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD