Nope cell cameras for the most part only have Digital zoom
    09-07-11 07:36 PM
    Derwent Graphite ....

We are not here to write a thesis about professional focussing systems found in semi-pro DSLR bodies.

Know your gear and know what to expect. Many are incorrectly using their camera in their cell phones by expecting too much.

I am well familiarized with the focussing systems etc. I wasn't intent on writing manuals about each manufacturer.

But thanks for taking the time to de-construct rather than write your own constructive piece.
    You started a thread posting misleading, inaccurate, error-filled information about the 9900 camera. Many gullible people fell for it and took it for fact. Just because you have a $2000 camera body for your hobby does not make you knowledgeable about photography. You can crosscheck my post using books or information from the internet.

I would say you should know YOUR gear. 9900 does not have continuous focus. To equate it with Nikon's term of continuous AF is a big fat lie. Why don't you submit this information to RIM and see if they agree with you?
    aNYthing24 and kwalia71 like this.
    09-07-11 08:24 PM
    Close up pics still don't work as well as "single shot focus"
    Pictures appear blurry

An example, my name card reader app doesn't work anymore, cos the words appear too blurry for the words to register
    09-07-11 10:06 PM
    When are you going to address the fact in your original post that you are completely wrong about the 9900 having continuous focus instead of just trying to deflect all posts that point that out.
    Agree
    When drfever aka the op will edit his post and accept his mistake

9900/9930 = edof camera
    No continous focus in there
    Maybe drfever fanboyism over 9900 blind his mind and can't accept the truth

While edof camera quite good,it can't beat AF when shooting close up or text
    09-07-11 11:23 PM
    Close enough for you? My picture was taken in a completely dark room using flash.

Edit- remember the photos upload here at 1/3 of the full size and quality.
    Are you really happy with your face-shot?

Its not even close to sharp and any, just to mention, photographer would laugh at you.

And its not even without any motion-blur.

The camera just plain sucks.
    trebla88#CB likes this.
    09-08-11 12:04 AM

Its not even close to sharp and any, just to mention, photographer would laugh at you.

It was taken in a completely dark room and just using flash. Show me how you can take a better picture in similar conditions.
    09-08-11 12:19 AM

Yes,I agree with u,the camera suck,I think rim will release new model with 1 gb ram and autofocus camera,remember 9700 to 9780?
    Typical rim

But there is always fanboy and they will not accept defeat
    09-08-11 12:50 AM
    Great post and very informative
    09-08-11 02:01 AM
    Thank you for this post! I've learnt something new for my 9780, and will definitely keep this in mind once I get to (eventually) upgrade to the 9900
    09-08-11 03:49 AM
    I don't own a 9900, but a 9800. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate us and help us understand.

Heartfelt thank you.
    09-08-11 06:22 AM

By the way, my $2,000 camera still doesn't make telephone calls or accept incoming email or BBM messages. .
    i am laughing bcos of the above statement and will continue to laugh each time i remeber it. it is so true and should shut any person that want to complain about the camera....
    drfever likes this.
    09-08-11 06:50 AM
    The camera is inferior to the 9700. But it is not inferior enough for me to not buy this phone or regret getting it. Sh*t is bada##.
    Actually, it pretty much tipped the balance for me in choosing the 9810 instead of (waiting for AT&T to release) the 9900. I was a rabid 9000 user, adored that keyboard, and had been salivating over the prospect of a touchscreen 9000 since the Pluto and Magnum rumors started circulating well over two and a half years ago.

Then I replaced the 9000 with the 9800 last year. I grew accustomed to the somewhat smaller keyboard, and l-o-v-e-d having a large screen BB with its full touchscreen (and superior browsing) experience to go along with it.

So a year later, I was faced with a choice: two units with identical processing power and liquid graphics, HDSPA+, and HD video recording. One has the 9000 form and keyboard I loved but with a half-screen (albeit a touchscreen), and the other has the larger touchscreen I also loved but with a smaller keyboard (albeit one I had long since accustomed myself to).

I was leaning toward the 9810 because I hated to give up the full touchscreen experience when I found about the camera. And that did it.

Yeah, I know: cool story, bro.
    09-08-11 07:34 AM
    I appreciate the effort of the OP(something we need more on crackberry) and I know the OP meant well, but if you own the 9900, you cannot change its focus. It's a great camera with a great sensor, its just too bad the 9900 does not have a moveable lens so to we can adjust the focus. If you hold it farther away from the subject, you'll have good shots. Let's keep this thread constructive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 07:39 AM
    the phone I tried would not come close to this. maybe there are defective phones out there.
    exactly !!!!!!

i took my 9900 with me instead of my 10mp canon camera because i thought the camera would be very clear based on a post i had read here before; but to my dismay..the pics were totally blured when i viewed them from my PC.i will never rely on this 9900 camera again.

i dont wanna believe that RIM would step so low as to install less than 5mp camera on some 9900 devices, but its becoming clearer by the day that this might actually be the issue because the same discrepancy is happening with the battery (some buyers are having fun, while others are having worst battery ever !!!)
    09-08-11 08:26 AM
    You need to know how to do it, pull the camera back 20-30 cm and zoom in to get close, for text put it in text mode, not close up mode and force the flash on, that's all it takes.

what do you mean by "force the flash on"? is it to put the flash on?
    09-08-11 08:28 AM
    Great post and very informative
    Read the entire thread. The OP is full of errors and misunderstanding of how the 9900 camera works. He should be ashamed he is collecting "thanks" and "likes" for such rubbish.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 09-08-11 at 12:04 PM.
    anon(2729369) and takeo like this.
    09-08-11 09:18 AM
    Read the entire thread. The OP is full of errors and misunderstanding of how the 9900 camera works. He should be ashamed he is collecting "thank you" and "likes" for such rubbish.
    B-b-but... the OP has a $2000 camera body for his advanced hobby!
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    09-08-11 09:30 AM
    If the "old" camera had Auto Focus AND Continuous Focus, but the "new" camera ONLY has Continuous Focus, how is the "new" camera better?

Higher resolution? Maybe - but this is totally relative to how the camera will be used. Arguments can go both ways.

I use the camera on my 9650 primarily to take close up shots - labels, documents, receipts, and the like. The camera on the 9930 does not cut it for me. So I am sticking with my 9650.

On the flip side, someone who only snaps kids playing in the front yard will probably be very pleased with the new camera. Good for them.

In my opinion, RIM compromised on the camera to get out a slimmer phone, and as with everything in life, you please some and you irk some.

Just my 2�
    Last edited by stubbornswiss; 09-08-11 at 01:01 PM.
    09-08-11 10:50 AM
    ...brilliant info, thanks for taking the time to write it.
    09-08-11 10:56 AM
    I just stumbled across these: Fisheye, Macro, Wide Angle and Telephoto Phone Lenses

Question is has anyone used them yet / will they fix the problem?
    09-08-11 11:01 AM
    BTW,I just want to thank the Mods for not locking up this thread. At least it gives us a place to discuss(or vent) the 99xx camera instead of the issue cropping up OT in every other thread.

Last edited by experiment626; 09-08-11 at 11:48 AM.
    funnykindel likes this.
    09-08-11 11:45 AM
    If the "old" camera had Auto Focus AND Continuous Focus, but the "new" camera ONLY has Continuous Focus, how is the "new" camera better?
    Just my 2�
    The 9900 does NOT have have continuous focus. It has a fixed depth of field and that is all. There is no focusing of any type because the lens cannot move.
    09-08-11 11:53 AM
    OP.....don't sweat it man. You dropped an insightful post and plenty of us thank you for it.
    You're obviously knowledgeable in photography....your effort to lay out some constructive knowledge got lost here....
    The way crack heads are, that's to be expected.
    There are plenty here that agree with you.....plenty that don't.
    Some just rant....I am not excluded from this....but not in this thread.
    I, for one, appreciate you effort to educate those of us that don't know.

Thank you my friend.

It wasn't my intent to start controversy. It was my understanding from the product reviews that this camera had a continuous focus system in place and given that my 9780 had the option of fixed auto focus and continuous, I had no reason to doubt that.

If in fact the camera does not have continuous focus, then my bad and I fully apologize for any error.

It is not my intention to mislead .... It's not like I get royalties for pushing BB products.

Some like to take it to the max. Hey, if I got a lot of likes for trying to write my own commentary well then so be it. Are people jelous of that? Perhaps.

In any event, I'm not here to create controversy. If I got the community talking and trying to get to the bottom of this then so be it, I think mission accomplished.

This isn't something that I wrote so that people can rush out and buy the phone.

I was defending the worn out rebuttal that cell phones must have optimal cameras.

View my test shots here.... I hope this works.... still can�t figure out how to get images into the threads.

DrFever's photosets on Flickr
    09-08-11 11:56 AM
    I just stumbled across these: Fisheye, Macro, Wide Angle and Telephoto Phone Lenses

Question is has anyone used them yet / will they fix the problem?
    these wont fit on the 9900.
    09-08-11 11:57 AM
    Read the entire thread. The OP is full of errors and misunderstanding of how the 9900 camera works. He should be ashamed he is collecting "thank you" and "likes" for such rubbish.
    lol.....
    09-08-11 11:58 AM
185 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD