Who said the world owes me something? Rims owes it itself not to put out half assed products.

Fantastic keyboard, fast os and then crappy camera and possibly bad battery. Does not compute

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

TiPb: The #1 iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch blog

Enjoy!
    08-12-11 12:35 PM
    Interesting comparison between AF and EDoF. Props to Takeo for this one
    08-12-11 12:56 PM
    Let's face it, the QNX phone that is coming out next year, will be THE phone to get. For the most part of our community, we will sell our 99XX phone and purchase this phone.

Someone said this phone is a stepping stone for the QNX and I am okay with that. For the next year I will use my 9930 (when I receive it) with a smile on my face because the 95% of the time I use my phone, the 9930 is way better than my 9650. The 5% I use the phone to take pictures, I will know I am making due until the QNX gets here.

In the mean time, I certainly understand the frustrations everyone has about the flagship phone has a cheap camera. Let's focus all our energy in a positive way and let RIM know we will not accept this in the QNX phone. We do this by letting RIM know, just like we do our politicians, that we demand better. If we do this in a professional way, RIM will respond in a professional way, hopefully.

So instead of continually complaining about something that is too late to change. Let's find a way to let RIM know not to make this mistake again. I am sure there are people on this forum that can guide us as to a way we can do this.

Let's not forget that we have been waiting so long for this type of phone and now it is finally here. If it had NO camera, we would still be happy it is here.
    smijes likes this.
    08-12-11 01:01 PM
    There isn't a device out there which doesn't have design shortcomings that make you wonder what the heck was going through the minds of whomever passed them. I'll see your lame 9900 camera and raise you a lack of a notification light on the iPhone, or the crummy way it does email, or the quietness of the ringer, or any other number of design snafus. I took mine back for a BB because of the above, yet there are millions of people who have chosen to overlook these negative points and the iPhone 4 remains one of the world's most raved about devices.

I don't know of a device manufacturer which doesn't screw up. You buy a top of the range laptop and the CD drawer is flimsy or the ports are in an inconvenient place. My Leica camera has ridiculous barrel distortion which I have to correct externally. You spend $15,000 on a car and the speakers suck. I bought Outlook 2010 recently only to find they still haven't fixed bugs from 10 years ago. It all sucks! I don't think there has ever been a device or product in the history of the world that hasn't made people scratch their heads because of one design shortcoming or another.

ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    08-12-11 01:04 PM
    mann... this topic has been beaten to death!!
    I want to know if the screen is plastic or glass! Sorry couldn't resist.
    08-12-11 01:10 PM
    There isn't a device out there which doesn't have design shortcomings that make you wonder what the heck was going through the minds of whomever passed them. I'll see your lame 9900 camera and raise you a lack of a notification light on the iPhone, or the crummy way it does email, or the quietness of the ringer, or any other number of design snafus. I took mine back for a BB because of the above, yet there are millions of people who have chosen to overlook these negative points and the iPhone 4 remains one of the world's most raved about devices.

I don't know of a device manufacturer which doesn't screw up. You buy a top of the range laptop and the CD drawer is flimsy or the ports are in an inconvenient place. My Leica camera has ridiculous barrel distortion which I have to correct externally. You spend $15,000 on a car and the speakers suck. I bought Outlook 2010 recently only to find they still haven't fixed bugs from 10 years ago. It all sucks! I don't think there has ever been a device or product in the history of the world that hasn't made people scratch their heads because of one design shortcoming or another.

EDOF being put into RIM's flagship wasn't a mistake or screw-up...
    ...It was the execution of a premeditated determination.
    08-12-11 01:12 PM
    People are talking through their wallets and the marketshare is what should be keeping rim awake at nights. And I am talking about the corporate users, who were rims bread and butter. Once it departments opened up their systems, and allowed competition, rim has gotten its *** kicked

I love my bold 9000, but I promised myself I would not buy another phone without the ability to take a decent picture of my child. And I am not alone. If you think I am the minority, so be it, but you are wrong.

You politely tell a company to shape up by not buying their products. Not attempting workarounds that probably won't work

08-12-11 01:28 PM
    EDOF being put into RIM's flagship wasn't a mistake or screw-up...
    ...It was the execution of a premeditated determination.
    If it was premeditated, then someone at RIM deserves the death penalty.
    08-12-11 01:29 PM
    To a person who has zero brand loyality or someone who isn't used to RIM making the highest quality product this issue would have little to no meaning - to an individual who feels like RIM is an old dear friend this issue causes real concern.
    But there is absolutely zero chance to change it. If RIM made a mistake then it is now written in stone. (I say "if" because some would prefer thinness of the device).

It's done. Over.
    08-12-11 01:31 PM
    Lol. An Apple "agent" infiltrated the design team and convinced everyone of the "benefits" of this type of camera. Tricky B@st@rds. I agree. Execution it is! Stoning by using obsolete iPods (you know those huge ones).. I say.
    08-12-11 01:44 PM
    Well, LOL I'm not going to go that far. I have it on good authority that this issue was brought up and debated and the people who said the device should have AF were not listened to.

At the end of the day someone HIGH UP would have had to authorize the final Mfg plans and that person should either be fired or if they are an owner STEP DOWN.

This is no different then when an elderly person is told they can't drive their car any longer - it's sad but it must be done.

But there is absolutely zero chance to change it. If RIM made a mistake then it is now written in stone. (I say "if" because some would prefer thinness of the device).

It's done. Over.
    I know RIM isn't going to recall their "Flagship Device" and put a real camera in it but does this also mean that there is zero chance of a "software fix" so that the business related pictures could at least improve enough to be USABLE?

Perhaps I have hung my hopes on something that's not within reality - I had heard some others mention that there "might" be a software fix that "could" improve the quality of camera enough so that the business type of pictures could at least be usable?
    08-12-11 02:03 PM
    Can you at least crop photos on the fly with the native software?

08-12-11 02:05 PM
    Can you at least crop photos on the fly with the native software?

The close up shots are unusable to begin with so cropping them would only augment an unusable photograph...
    ...There must be some sort of software fix RIM can apply.
    08-12-11 02:15 PM
    I know RIM isn't going to recall their "Flagship Device" and put a real camera in it but does this also mean that there is zero chance of a "software fix" so that the business related pictures could at least improve enough to be USABLE?
    Interesting question. To me looking at the CB Blog post that compares the 9900 to the 9780, I think the 9780 takes sharper pics overall, even at a distance.

So unless there is something majorly FUBAR'ed with the hardware I would guess there could be a software "fix". Hopefully.
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    08-12-11 02:35 PM
    It was mentioned that people within RIM made this "issue" known and did voice their opinions to have autofocus with the camera. They lost though and the device was pushed thru with a thinner design. I am sure they could have included the AF camera and still maintained a quite thin phone but given time constraints and being so far behind they had to go with what they had and not spend the time and money to look elsewhere
    08-12-11 02:39 PM
    It was mentioned that people within RIM made this "issue" known and did voice their opinions to have autofocus with the camera. They lost though and the device was pushed thru with a thinner design. I am sure they could have included the AF camera and still maintained a quite thin phone but given time constraints and being so far behind they had to go with what they had and not spend the time and money to look elsewhere
    Oh well... I understand the lack of macro shot sharp focus. But those other shots on the CB Blog comparison; they do not seem as sharp as they should be, period. So hopefully that is something that can be patched up. Who knows.
    08-12-11 02:53 PM
    Oh well... I understand the lack of macro shot sharp focus. But those other shots on the CB Blog comparison; they do not seem as sharp as they should be, period. So hopefully that is something that can be patched up. Who knows.
    I've made a back-up of every picture I took with my 1st generation blackberry bold as well as my 9650 than compared every shot I've been able to find from the 9900 & 9930 taking into account the approximate distance of those shots.

The results: the 3.2MP AF camera on the older ( by 3 years ) blackberry's are not only better, they ARE significantly better and I have absolute proof they are better.

Some examples. The first was taken with a BB 1st gen Storm in poor weather ( raining / wind blowing like **** / poor light ) it's my Dad's fishing friend from Texas who came to Wa for a charter Steelhead fishing trip.

My whole point to this was with my older BB's I was able to take great pictures of ANYTHING I wanted ( personal ) or NEEDED to ( work related ).

Even the people I work with who are using iphones would admit that the blackberry took not good but EXCELLENT pictures for a "phone". This WAS a great strength of the blackberry along with it's battery life, keyboard and perfect email push system.

I have to say I'm disgusted at RIM for ****ttting the bed this bad on the camera issue. There absolutely must be a way for them to at least software fix this camera so it can generate usable pictures.
    08-12-11 06:47 PM
    a disaster because of a camera..you people are so narrow minded, and i don't think you have even tried it. Go and play a bold 9900, and see for yourself its many pluses

08-12-11 07:12 PM
    Well, I prefer my 9780 camera... but the 9900 isn't as bad as people are saying... and I was one of those pissed to hear about the lack of AF before I got the 9900.

If you want to look at something positive; it snaps the picture faster... and I think it's better in low light than my 9780.
    08-12-11 07:17 PM
    I've made a back-up of every picture I took with my 1st generation blackberry bold as well as my 9650 than compared every shot I've been able to find from the 9900 & 9930 taking into account the approximate distance of those shots.

The results: the 3.2MP AF camera on the older ( by 3 years ) blackberry's are not only better, they ARE significantly better and I have absolute proof they are better.

Some examples. The first was taken with a BB 1st gen Storm in poor weather ( raining / wind blowing like **** / poor light ) it's my Dad's fishing friend from Texas who came to Wa for a charter Steelhead fishing trip.

My whole point to this was with my older BB's I was able to take great pictures of ANYTHING I wanted ( personal ) or NEEDED to ( work related ).

Even the people I work with who are using iphones would admit that the blackberry took not good but EXCELLENT pictures for a "phone". This WAS a great strength of the blackberry along with it's battery life, keyboard and perfect email push system.

I have to say I'm disgusted at RIM for ****ttting the bed this bad on the camera issue. There absolutely must be a way for them to at least software fix this camera so it can generate usable pictures.
    These pics are from a phone?? I rarely use my 9780 camera but daaaaaaaarnn these pics look just as good as a high end digital camera would!

Now if the 9900 was even close! I'd be a happy man
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    08-12-11 07:44 PM
    Let's find a way to let RIM know not to make this mistake again. I am sure there are people on this forum that can guide us as to a way we can do this..
    I hope RIM would pay us salaries for doing their work
    08-12-11 07:45 PM
    Has anyone tried turning on image stabilization? If so, does it help with the photos?
    08-12-11 08:16 PM
    Dear OP,
    It was a nice try, and your thought is appreciated. However the thread has disintegrated into the same old argument about the damn camera.

We get it. Some of you think the camera on the 9900 sucks. Some of you don't care. Some of you just want to argue for the sake of arguing it seems like.

Thread closed. Move along.
    08-12-11 08:24 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD