Hi,

I have an old 9790 Bold phone. Problem is I forgot the password. Last time I used it was around 2013-2014, then went to Android phones. However on that old Blackberry I keep information about my son. I used the phone when he was born. And now I want to unlock the phone to copy that information.

Anyway to login into the device?

It does have an old inactive SIM inside and all communication is turned off (wifi is off, sim is inactive).

The information on the device is of a great santimental value to me.

Thanks!
    01-21-23 04:04 PM
    If you still have your original email you used with BBID, seems you can still reset the password of your BBID.

What I don't remember is how that helps with your password pin... been way too long since I used BBOS. With BB10 you could access the online portal and change your pin as well... but that is no longer working.

Maybe a current BBOS user can chime in.....

If not, if the data has real value... there are some recovery companies out there that offer to recover data from old phones. I've heard positive results with BBOS.
    RaverWild likes this.
    01-23-23 11:21 AM
    Thank you! Could you recommend such a company please? Only real thing I want out of the phone are the notes. I think photos too, but maybe they are all backuped in Google Photos... will check that. But the Blackberry Notes is what I really want.
    01-23-23 12:52 PM
    "Notes" (Remember/Notes in BB10) are called "Memopad" in BBOS.

I would go with a recovery company, as suggested by Dunt. There are very few BBOS users (like myself) left out there.

If you have a backup of the data on that phone on one of your computers (performed with BB Desktop Software) it might be easier to try the recovery from the backup file (.bbb).
    01-23-23 01:35 PM
    "Notes" (Remember/Notes in BB10) are called "Memopad" in BBOS.

I would go with a recovery company, as suggested by Dunt. There are very few BBOS users (like myself) left out there.
    But I'm not sure how easy it is to recover data from within an app... Pictures might be easy or reg document.

Sorry @RaverWild I've never used one, have seen a couple of folks here, have had some successes. I'd just do a search online, make sure they have some experience with BBOS....
    01-23-23 01:40 PM
    If you have Micro SD card in the phone then pictures taken from BB Camera app might have been stored on SD card (I think that is the default setting). Just pull the card out, connect it to a PC or insert in an Android/iOS phone and go to:

SDcard\BlackBerry\Camera\

I have never tried to access SD card that way so I am not sure if the password is still required or not.

Also, when you google around try the keyword:

data recovery from BlackBerry bbb files
    01-23-23 04:36 PM
    Not that my memory is any good, but I think you had to tell the camera to save to an SD card if one was installed on a BBOS phone. Same as it in on a BB10 phone. It didn't default there.

I know the .bbb backup was not encrypted from a BBOS phone. It was basically a big .zip file and you could read and unzip individual files with something like 7-Zip. It would lose the original filename, but there was usually a database file that had the original filename and the corresponding gobbledygook filename. Of course, that was only good for certain files. It's not like you could do anything with an extracted phone settings backup file.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    01-23-23 04:57 PM
    I think you had to tell the camera to save to an SD card if one was installed on a BBOS phone. Same as it is on a BB10 phone. It didn't default there.
    I have just tested it on my BB 9720 (OS 7.1). I wiped the OS on this phone with JL_cmder v1.9.0 and then re-installed just last week and have not changed any settings yet. The pictures are saved by default to SD card (if present) to:

SDCard\BlackBerry\Camera\

The OP has Bold 9790 (which was released with OS 7.0) so it most likely works the same way.

I know the .bbb backup was not encrypted from a BBOS phone.
    The backup is not encrypted by default but encryption is available, it is optional. Below is a screenshot from the last version of the Desktop Software (v7.1.0.41) but this feature was available in earlier versions as well:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3453/rFWzzW.png

Here are a few links to utilities which can read .BBB files (I have never tested any of them myself):

https://www.amraksoftware.com/articl...b-backup-files

https://reincubate.com/blackberry-backup-extractor/

https://www.jointlogic.com/b-folders..._blackberry.vm

https://www.jointlogic.com/b-folders...ry_to_android/
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-24-23 at 02:57 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-24-23 02:37 AM
    I have just tested it on my BB 9720 (OS 7.1). I wiped the OS on this phone with JL_cmder v1.9.0 and then re-installed just last week and have not changed any settings yet. The pictures are saved by default to SD card (if present) to:

SDCard\BlackBerry\Camera\

The OP has Bold 9790 (which was released with OS 7.0) so it most likely works the same way.
    My experience was with the Pearl 8100 on OS 4.5 and the Torch 9800 on OS 6. I added SD cards in both phones, but don't remember photos defaulting to the card without me telling it to save there in the camera app.

Now, I could be mis-remembering it and thinking of my Z10 where I know the camera app asks if I want to save to the SD card the first it's used after one is installed.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    01-24-23 08:50 AM
    Thank you all! Just verified. No memory card in the phone. Guess I already got my pictures years ago and re-used the memory card. But what about the notes? I guess these reside on the internal memory...

Also I never performed a backup on a laptop. Even if I did, at that time we had a great Toshiba, which misfortunately got spilled coffee with milk and sugar (yes, the classical case) by my wife and I wiped out the hard drive before I threw it away, as most parts of that laptop died anyway.

I read somewhere on this forum, that if you pull out the SIM card the phone will detect it and turn on additional security. For this reason I never pulled out the SIM. It is a very old and inactive WindMobile SIM anyway...
    Last edited by RaverWild; 01-26-23 at 06:45 AM. Reason: verified info
    01-26-23 06:43 AM
    Oh no wait. There is a micromemory card after all... Pulled it out...
    01-26-23 06:48 AM
    Okay. So all pictures and videos are on the memory card and I recovered them all, which is good. What came as a total surprise and I did not expected it at ALL is that BBM logs are saved on the memory card as well, so I recovered that too.

However remains open the big question about the notes (memos) - where do these reside and how to recover them? If they are also on the memory card, which folder should I look in? I expect these are encrypted somewhere, but who knows. I expected BBM to be encrypted as well and it is not.

Suggestions?
    01-26-23 07:28 AM
    However remains open the big question about the notes (memos) - where do these reside and how to recover them?
    Memos and other organiser data as well as apps are stored in the internal memory, which is encrypted. BB encryption was never cracked even by the CIA.

The only way you can use the phone is if you keep entering wrong passwords until it resets and erases all data.
    01-28-23 03:29 AM
    BB encryption was never cracked even by the CIA.
    [citation needed]

Cellebrite has been able to extract data from BBOS devices for many years.
    01-28-23 07:38 AM
    Cellebrite has been able to extract data from BBOS devices for many years.
    Here is the link for the OP:

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...tions-1067483/
    RaverWild likes this.
    01-28-23 09:46 AM
    Thank you! Just checked them. Their website does not mention "Blackberry". I will try again when I start a new job, as now I am unemployed.
    01-28-23 11:47 AM
    Cellebrite is now a private investigation and border security company - nothing to do with mobile phones.
    01-28-23 02:03 PM
    Cellebrite is now a private investigation and border security company - nothing to do with mobile phones.
    Yes. But they sold/licensed their technology to a number of buyers.
    01-28-23 03:33 PM
    Okay, so do we know who took over their phone business?
    01-28-23 04:16 PM