Hello all,

Just wanted to share with you a quick, cheap and effective solution to fixing your trackpad with something I just figured out today. When I bought my Bold 9790 there was no play with the trackpad till recently and yes, it is very very annoying. So I was searching up ways to fix this but either you gotta take apart the whole phone or put a sticker over it.. neither of these solutions sounded good to me so I figured this out:

-Get a used or old clear screen protector and a pair of scissors.

-Cut very thin slices of the screen protector no wider then a couple millimeters and the length should be no longer then the length of one side the square.

-Now comes the cheap fix...with these thin slices (i found that 3 slices work fine) stuff one slice on the left side crack of the trackpad, then stuff in another slice at the bottom, and then one on the right. Make sure they are thoroughly stuffed inside the cracks around the trackpad, they should not be visible or come out. You can use a card or the rest of the screen protector to stuff in the slices till they are not visible.

The reason why i found this works perfectly is because there is a lot of room for the trackpad to move around in the housing, making the clicking noise very noticeable. By stuffing those thin slices of screen protector (which also have a sticky coating so its less likely to fall back out) in the surrounding trackpad area it limits the space the trackpad moves hence, NO more sound and solid operation

FYI: This fix may not be for everyone if you dont like the thought of sliding things in your phone... but trust me it worked like a charm and the trackpad works better than ever, I could have just not told anyone but what's the use of that .

HOPE IT WORKS FOR THE REST OF YOU!

EDIT: Actually i just realized the more the better, I just put a couple more in and its solid.
    Last edited by blakobecwa; 05-25-12 at 02:22 PM.
    05-25-12 12:34 PM
    i wouldn't recommend sliding anything in your phone
    andy957 likes this.
    05-25-12 04:40 PM
    I'd suggest caution, I'm guessing if you overdo this, or the bits of plastic move around after a while, they might stop the button working
    05-25-12 04:44 PM
    Both replies raise good points, so if anyone does try to do this, use cation and try at ur own risk, but I don't notice anything wrong with my phone's operation or the trackpad itself.

I'm just enjoying the click free operation, much better not feeling the trackpad move around.
    05-26-12 01:23 AM
    Isn't the trackpad made to slightly move around? Unless its really bad I wouldn't touch it and then since it's new, surely it's covered under warranty.
    05-26-12 07:48 AM
    Isn't the trackpad made to slightly move around? Unless its really bad I wouldn't touch it and then since it's new, surely it's covered under warranty.
    It really shouldn't move around at all, the amount the 9790 moves around is ridiculous, and mine is under warranty as well but this is a common problem among Bold 9790 users so the problem will only just come back.

This is just a nice solution that a piece of plastic can fix so why not save the hassle of returning and exchanging devices all the time.
    05-26-12 12:21 PM
    Interesting if a wobbly trackpad is an issue on the 9790's. I have this on my 9850 and do not have the issue on either of the 9930's I own. The common thing is the 9850 and 9790 both have the same raised button design. I am wondering if there is something about that design that makes it prone to that.

The Bold 99xx phones have more of a one piece flat type of design for the buttons/trackpad area.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-26-12 12:45 PM
    No the trackpad of my 9790 is just fine. It's not a common problem I suppose. Hard luck friend.
    And how can it have anything to to with the raised buttons? It's just a manufacturing fault in a few units. I'm sure other models have some wobbly trackpads too.
    05-26-12 02:17 PM
    Interesting if a wobbly trackpad is an issue on the 9790's. I have this on my 9850 and do not have the issue on either of the 9930's I own. The common thing is the 9850 and 9790 both have the same raised button design. I am wondering if there is something about that design that makes it prone to that.

The Bold 99xx phones have more of a one piece flat type of design for the buttons/trackpad area.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk

It is a common occurence and not due to Manf defect but rather is a design issue/ characteristic. The reason many folks may not realise it is there is because depending on how easily one can detect sensitivity, some actually realise it being there and some dont. agreed it may feel more pronounced on some units. For me it seems to appear and disappear even within a single day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    blakobecwa likes this.
    05-27-12 06:08 AM
    No the trackpad of my 9790 is just fine. It's not a common problem I suppose. Hard luck friend.
    And how can it have anything to to with the raised buttons? It's just a manufacturing fault in a few units. I'm sure other models have some wobbly trackpads too.
    Its awesome that your trackpad is perfectly fine and i wish that never changes for you. As i stated before in my original post, my trackpad worked perfectly, there was very little play with it and i remember stumbling on some posts people talked about a uneven/clicky trackpad...i had no idea what they were talking about. Then recently mine started to do that same issue people were talking about. I figured out a quick fix, been a whole weekend now and i'm back to lovin my trackpad's solidity...with some support though

So you never know yours could start at any given time or not at all.
    05-28-12 09:10 AM
    Its awesome that your trackpad is perfectly fine and i wish that never changes for you. As i stated before in my original post, my trackpad worked perfectly, there was very little play with it and i remember stumbling on some posts people talked about a uneven/clicky trackpad...i had no idea what they were talking about. Then recently mine started to do that same issue people were talking about. I figured out a quick fix, been a whole weekend now and i'm back to lovin my trackpad's solidity...with some support though

So you never know yours could start at any given time or not at all.
    Please do NOT say mine could start too. I will find you and kill you if it does now.
    Lol. For me, I don't use the trackpad much too. The touchscreen mostly. Trackpad just sometimes, because this is my first BB. That may add to mine being normal.
    05-28-12 11:02 AM
    the amount the 9790 moves around is ridiculous, and mine is under warranty as well but this is a common problem among Bold 9790 users so the problem will only just come back.
    Yup. I totally agree, and had posted a similar post a while back when I first got my 9790. It's a pity too because other than this issue, I find this to be the best and most beautiful BB I own/have owned (nicer than the 9900 by far). But the wiggly trackpad is a real bummer.
    05-29-12 04:56 PM
    Yup. I totally agree, and had posted a similar post a while back when I first got my 9790. It's a pity too because other than this issue, I find this to be the best and most beautiful BB I own/have owned (nicer than the 9900 by far). But the wiggly trackpad is a real bummer.
    Exactly this phone is absolutely sleek and beautiful. One of the BEST blackberries to date...if not the best. The trackpad is the only issue.

Its been over a week since I slid those pieces into the sides of the trackpad and its sooo solid now its amazing...that cheap feeling that I got from the clickyness is finally gone for good so easily. I really think people should try it, even though it sounds sketchy it really works good.
    05-31-12 02:54 PM
    I must admit I tried your tip and stuck 2 tiny pieces of screen protector (but I think any thin plastic will do the trick) in on the left and right of the trackpad and VOILA!!! no more annoying clicking sound.... works wonderfully! I recommend everyone to try it out.

And don't worry about it getting lost somewhere inside coz it doesn't!
    07-01-13 02:28 AM
    I must admit I tried your tip and stuck 2 tiny pieces of screen protector (but I think any thin plastic will do the trick) in on the left and right of the trackpad and VOILA!!! no more annoying clicking sound.... works wonderfully! I recommend everyone to try it out.

And don't worry about it getting lost somewhere inside coz it doesn't!
    07-01-13 02:30 AM
    My 9790 has had a solid trackpad since i brought it. but this problem occurs on my 9360 then i found out it does on all 9360. so ill try this method
    07-06-13 06:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD