I recently picked up a secondhand 9780, but the built-in browser refuses to connect to any websites. The WiFi isn't the problem because the phone is connected to my home network which works just fine, and I can even use the auto-updating clock feature on it. I tried installing Opera Mini to see if that would connect, but since I can't use the browser I cannot use OTA, so I downloaded the alx/cod files from https://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions onto my computer and used Blackberry Desktop Software. However, DS refuses to install either OM 8 or 4.5, and gives me no error message either. The 9780 is an unlocked Telus with no SIM card, if that helps any, and my Torch 9800 (AT&T with no SIM card) can connect to the internet just fine through the same network using BB browser, although its battery is dead.
    08-14-22 06:09 PM
    I recently picked up a secondhand 9780, but the built-in browser refuses to connect to any websites. The WiFi isn't the problem because the phone is connected to my home network which works just fine, and I can even use the auto-updating clock feature on it. I tried installing Opera Mini to see if that would connect, but since I can't use the browser I cannot use OTA, so I downloaded the alx/cod files from https://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions onto my computer and used Blackberry Desktop Software. However, DS refuses to install either OM 8 or 4.5, and gives me no error message either. The 9780 is an unlocked Telus with no SIM card, if that helps any, and my Torch 9800 (AT&T with no SIM card) can connect to the internet just fine through the same network using BB browser, although its battery is dead.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often…. Love the screen name and your avatar picture.
    08-14-22 08:50 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often…. Love the screen name and your avatar picture.
    "Col Klink" actor's father, Otto Klemperer, directed the recording of Beethoven's 5th symph included on Voyager's golden record.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-14-22 11:55 PM
    Some info on setting up an old BlackBerry without BIS.... The Bold Explorer

Might look on the site for BBSAK as well.

And be a good idea if you have an old PC laying around to utilize it for the desktop software....

I'd suggest a fresh install of the OS and then running through the steps on THE BOLD EXPLORER. But there is always a risk with "old" secondhand products... the reason the owner got rid of it, is something wasn't working.
    08-16-22 07:42 AM
    I'd suggest a fresh install of the OS and then running through the steps on THE BOLD EXPLORER.
    The only compatible OS I can find is on this website from AT&T;
    https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...wseSoftware.do

Would these work with any carrier, or do I have to look for Telus OSs?
    08-16-22 12:42 PM
    The only compatible OS I can find is on this website from AT&T;
    https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...wseSoftware.do

Would these work with any carrier, or do I have to look for Telus OSs?
    Here is the Telus site.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...E607FE7CC0E1A0
    08-16-22 01:33 PM
    Thanks for the link, I reinstalled the new OS (v6.0.0.666), and I set up my WiFi and APN settings. However, the APN settings default to bb.telus.com, but it seems the APN url for Telus devices is sp.telus.com. I tried with both, but the browser still doesn't connect to Google or any other website either way, saying "Unable to find the requested server."
    08-16-22 04:44 PM
    Thanks for the link, I reinstalled the new OS (v6.0.0.666), and I set up my WiFi and APN settings. However, the APN settings default to bb.telus.com, but it seems the APN url for Telus devices is sp.telus.com. I tried with both, but the browser still doesn't connect to Google or any other website either way, saying "Unable to find the requested server."
    BBOS requires BIS for mobile data - which BlackBerry shut down last January.
    08-16-22 05:21 PM
    BBOS requires BIS for mobile data - which BlackBerry shut down last January.
    But connecting to the internet via a home network shouldn't require mobile data, and my Torch can connect without any data either.
    08-16-22 05:45 PM
    But connecting to the internet via a home network shouldn't require mobile data, and my Torch can connect without any data either.
    Yes, but you were talking about the Telus APN settings for a mobile data connection. They don't matter.
    08-16-22 08:00 PM
    Ah ok. But after wiping the device and installing a fresh OS, the browser still doesn't connect to websites, giving the same "Unable to find the requested server" message after trying and failing to request the page. Is there any way to fix this?
    08-16-22 08:24 PM
    Ah ok. But after wiping the device and installing a fresh OS, the browser still doesn't connect to websites, giving the same "Unable to find the requested server" message after trying and failing to request the page. Is there any way to fix this?
    Try another browser.

Or look here for instructions:

http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/browser.html
    08-16-22 09:26 PM
    Try another browser.

Or look here for instructions:

The Bold Explorer
    I've already tried the instructions from that page, to no effect. I also tried to install Opera Mini 8, but using Blackberry Desktop Software I got no error message and it would not install. I found out while trying to install a .jad of Opera Mini from my SD card, that a 910 Application authorization failure was what was stopping the install, but I'm not sure how to fix that since I downloaded the browser from Opera's website under Opera Mini 8 for Blackberry.
    08-17-22 12:12 PM
    I've already tried the instructions from that page, to no effect. I also tried to install Opera Mini 8, but using Blackberry Desktop Software I got no error message and it would not install. I found out while trying to install a .jad of Opera Mini from my SD card, that a 910 Application authorization failure was what was stopping the install, but I'm not sure how to fix that since I downloaded the browser from Opera's website under Opera Mini 8 for Blackberry.
    Folk have complained for years about Opera not loading or not working on BBOS devices... But other say it works just fine. Your dealing with used hardware that might not actually be working right, your dealing with an EOL Platform, and your dealing with old apps that were designed for a different age. And most user have moved on, so really not much of a support group anymore.

1) Use an old PC and old version of Windows, along with BlackBerry Software & drivers from that time.
    2) Buy another unit to rule out the hardware being the issue.
    3) Make sure IT policy has been removed from any used devices. (reloading the OS doesn't always clear that)
    4) Install Factory OS
    5) Follow steps outlined on Bold Explorer
    6) Use different ports and cables
    7) Rinse and repeat a dozen times and then try other hardware.
    08-18-22 08:40 AM
    While on Wi-Fi, visit m.opera.com and download Opera Mini. You could also download Opera Mini to your PC and send it via Bluetooth.
    11-14-22 02:38 AM