Hi everyone, as everyone can see...I'm a new guy in town so please bear with me

I only got my 9780 4 days ago, and this battery draining is just making me crazy, the battery would not even last half day.

I leave it charge for 6 hours while I'm in bed, remove it 8 AM and by 12 PM the battery's percentage is at 65.

I've done the following:
    1. Updated to .546
    2. Removed any many apps that came already installed
    3. Using 2G instead of 3G

But unfortunately...I still have the problem and nothing is helping. I tried downgrading to older versions but I still have the problem.

Any help would be appreciated guys, because this is really getting on my nerves, I remember my 9000 2 years ago used to last more than a day.

Thanks in advance
    07-07-11 04:48 AM
    Normally battery life on BB9780 is pretty good. It usually lasts 2 days with med - heavy use. Try update to .576 (the latest one) and see what happens. Otherwise, you have a faulty device or battery. You should get it exchanged.
    07-07-11 05:01 AM
    What apps are you running. What have you installed. How much phone time in this period. How much Internet.

It only takes one program that is polling for data constantly to eat up the battery.

From 8am to 12pm is 16 hours and if you can't keep your hands off your new device, 65% is not too far out of being real. You were not have near the fun on your 9000 when it was lasting more than a day.

If you put your device in the charging cradle at midnight, take it out at 8am and it goes through till midnight with 65% left, you are doing pretty good.
    07-07-11 05:18 AM
    Normally battery life on BB9780 is pretty good. It usually lasts 2 days with med - heavy use. Try update to .576 (the latest one) and see what happens. Otherwise, you have a faulty device or battery. You should get it exchanged.
    Desktop manager says I have the latest(.546)

What apps are you running. What have you installed. How much phone time in this period. How much Internet.

It only takes one program that is polling for data constantly to eat up the battery.

From 8am to 12pm is 16 hours and if you can't keep your hands off your new device, 65% is not too far out of being real. You were not have near the fun on your 9000 when it was lasting more than a day.

If you put your device in the charging cradle at midnight, take it out at 8am and it goes through till midnight with 65% left, you are doing pretty good.
    8 AM - 12 PM is only 4 hours man, lol.

I don't do many calls, mostly less than 10-20 mins a day, sometimes 2 mins. Not much browsing, I just google some lyrics SOMETIMES, like 2-4 times a week while I'm bored at work. Nothing harsh.

I just read "Battery life saving tips".

These are the apps I have installed

BBM
    MSN
    Capture it
    BatteryEX
    MemoryEX
    Facebook

I removed everything else
    I turned FB off
    Put backlight timeout to 20 secs
    Lowered brightness from 100 to 50.
    WiFi and Bluetooth are off when I don't need them
    Turn off any apps when not using them basically.
    Last edited by PheNoMaiNaL; 07-07-11 at 05:57 AM.
    07-07-11 05:33 AM
    OOPS, sorry.

If you are only getting 4 hours and down to 65% you have a hardware or battery problem. Forget the changing the OS thing, I have never seen a new OS make enough difference to be worried about. I would try a new battery first.

Does you battery show 100% after charging?

I would remove all of your 3rd party software and add them one at a time while monitoring the battery over several days.
    07-07-11 07:00 AM
    Yes I would suggest that you take your phone in especially since you have only had it for four days battery life that terrible is unacceptable. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 07:58 AM
    I would try Nikesu's first suggestion of installing another update. I had a pearl 9100 once, I did a OTA update, and my battery wouldn't last for more than 4 hours, a call would drain probably half my battery. After I've manually downloaded an update and restored the phone, the battery was excellent. If that doesn't work, it could be hardware issue. But I would suggest you give it a try first, it'll save you a trip to the store.
    07-07-11 03:15 PM
    Hi guys, I guess I have some progress here, but first I'd like to thank you all for the help and replies.

Anyway, 3:00 PM @ 99+%, 10:00 PM @ 35% (65% drained in 7 hours). So I thought I'd give the profiles a shot, I changed from Normal profile to Silent for a while then changed to Medium. So if we go back, 10:00 PM @ 35%, 2:00 AM @ 15%...That looks like the thing to me.

I'll explain some things first, the "Normal" profile which I was using daily, I did some changes to it. I increased all volumes to 10. Ring tone, IM tone, and my BBM never stops shooting messages at me.

I'll have to remind you guys, all I do on my BB is text and BBM, not a lot of browsing, in fact I didn't even run my Browser in that period. Few few seconds calls, nothing great. But a lot of BBM, yeah.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by PheNoMaiNaL; 07-07-11 at 06:01 PM.
    07-07-11 05:58 PM
    No,still not normal.If you did a lot of web browsing or phone calls, that rate would be acceptable.

Get it exchanged,mate.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-08-11 12:19 AM
    No,still not normal.If you did a lot of web browsing or phone calls, that rate would be acceptable.

Get it exchanged,mate.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    That might happen tomorrow
    07-08-11 04:49 AM
    From what is mentioned and the troubleshooting already done, it appears that either the battery or the device itself is faulty. NO way a brand new BlackBerry without any applications can cause this. Get it replaced.
    07-08-11 05:07 AM
    I'll do this for last, I'll try .600 and see if it helps, if not, I'm replacing it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot guys
    07-08-11 05:13 AM
    Ok, upgrading to .600 solved 3 Software issues I've had. Now all that's left is this battery issue. Grrr!

I'll see how the battery behaves with .600 and get back to you guys later on.

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Guys I noticed that when I turn the mobile network OFF the battery isn't drained as much. I'd give it an approximate of 3 days life, lol. So does this mean the device is faulty or something?
    07-08-11 05:45 AM
    I'm on the current T-Mobile release as far as OS goes, and my battery will last up to two days without a charge, with moderate-heavy use. Bluetooth and wifi are always on, lots of texting, and always on FB or Crackberry. I would check into a new battery at the least.

07-08-11 02:37 PM
    I'm on the current T-Mobile release as far as OS goes, and my battery will last up to two days without a charge, with moderate-heavy use. Bluetooth and wifi are always on, lots of texting, and always on FB or Crackberry. I would check into a new battery at the least.

Tried that. It's my phone draining the batteries.
    07-08-11 05:17 PM

Sure it last you two days considering your car charging maybe
    07-08-11 05:39 PM
    hey how is the signal in that area? if the device doesn't have strong signal that would drain the battery because it will reach for it constantly.
    this also could indicate a hardware failure, I also have a 9780 and 6.0.0.600 and with the usage you indicate my phone battery lasts 3-4 days. I never had this battery draining issue ( once with some crap build can't remember which one I think 570 )
    07-09-11 01:39 PM
    I was having a similar issue with mine and deleted the Facebook app completely and the battery drain stopped. I still go to Facebook, using the native browser.....
    07-09-11 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD