I currently have an iPhone 3GS but I am getting kind of sick of it. I am looking to get back into a Blackberry but I am torn between sticking on AT&T and getting a 9700 or going to Verizon and getting a storm2..

I don't have 3G in my area from AT&T however I do have it on Verizon. I really like that Verizon has NFL on their network now. To me the Bold is one of the nicest looking phones on the market right now however the storm2's screen is comparable to the iPhone and so it wouldn't be that be of a jump.

What are your guys opinions on this? Also anyone who made the switch from an iPhone to either Blackberry would be very helpful too!
    05-22-10 04:07 PM
    Dont know about the S2, but I have had two S1s. Its a solid device, but typing on them was a nightmare (for me). The Storm series doesnt hold a candle to the 9700, IMO no other Berry does.
    05-22-10 04:41 PM
    I had an iPhone and went back to a BlackBerry smartphone. It was a great move for me. I did get a 9700, but I have a Tour now. I absolutely love it. If I were in your position, I would go for the Storm 2. Have always wanted to have one of those. The screen is actually better than the iPhone to me. It seems to be a lot brighter and clearer. I love the surepress and suretype keyboard on the Storm. With that said, you can never go wrong with the 9700. Next to the 9650, its the best all around BlackBerry smartphone you can get. Also, since you have good reception from Verizon, it may be the way to go. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 04:47 PM
    VZW will soon be releasing the Bold 9650, which has even better specs than the Storm2. I would suggest waiting for it if you are going to switch to VZW.
    05-22-10 04:50 PM
    If you have better coverage with Verizon, I'd suggest looking at the 9650 vs 9550 instead. Always go with the best coverage for your needs

For myself, if Verizon was better for me, I'd choose the 9550...or the Incredible

05-22-10 04:55 PM
    I was just in a Verizon store around my town and they have a picture of the new bold coming out, no date though of when.

05-22-10 07:27 PM
    I think the new 9650 will be a great phone
    05-23-10 10:16 AM
    If I were you, I'd wait it out for the 9800. This way you get the toys of a touchscreen with the reliability of a Blackberry keyboard.
    05-23-10 01:38 PM
    I had an iPhone and had to get rid of it because where I moved AT&T had no service. I'm on a Tour with Verizon right now and love it! It definitely is different at first but I'm not looking back!
    05-23-10 01:52 PM
    9700 because it's a better phone and you'll have 3G whereas you'll be out of luck with the S2.

9700 = best BB you can get IMO, even beating the 9650
    05-23-10 01:55 PM
    9700 because it's a better phone and you'll have 3G whereas you'll be out of luck with the S2.

The OP did post that they were thinking about moving to vzw and buying a storm 2.
    05-23-10 04:37 PM

I do not have 3G in my area with AT&T. However, I've heard we are supposed to be getting it by the end of June but I've heard the same thing back in '07 and it still hasn't happened. Anyway, Verizon's 3G is much more extensive in my area then is AT&T's.
    05-23-10 06:28 PM
    If I were you I'd be asking myself these questions:

#1. Coverage. You said no 3G with AT&T, but is their EDGE getting it done for you or are you having dropped calls and no service areas?

#2. Touch screen. Do you really like having a big touch screen or do you miss a physical keyboard?

#3. People you talk to you most. What carrier are they on for the mobile to mobile calling?

I love my 9550, it's a great phone. But if I was an AT&T customer I would have a 9700 for sure, no question about it. Just my 2 cents.
    05-23-10 10:45 PM
    Since you didn't mention the Bold 9650 I assume you don't want to wait it's VZ release (that's what I would do in your situation if I wanted back on a BB). So, given the options you've mentioned and your explantions I would go with the Storm2 on the more reliable network in your area.

AT&T in my area (test-market city) is not very good and it wasn't very good any time in NYC either. I am forced on it through work so I roll with the 9700. It's a nice phone but I feel it is wasted a bit on a flakey network. I also suspect my phone is having issues jumping from one connection to the next (3G to EDGE to WiFi to...) continuously every few minutes. The WiFi is suspect, too. It drops often and while my laptop and my iPod Touch in different rooms remain connected.

05-23-10 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD