07-05-10 03:40 PM
119 ... 2345
tools
    No quality issue here for 2 9700 I had my hands on. Keyboards design, yes. I like 9000 the best. Both 8320 and 8900 are even better IMHO. I make more mistake typing on 9700 and nail trimming is a must at least once or twice a week ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 04:48 PM
    I just updated an old thread of mine about this exact issue. This is my second device since I originally purchased the phone Dec 16, 2009. The first one was replaced for free under the 30 day warranty when I started getting huge chips in the paint that were obscuring the letters. I've had the replacement device for not even two months and I can't read 4 letters on the keyboard. It's no longer covered under the 30 day warranty (I have at&t) so I'll have to run it through my insurance to get a new one although AT&T claims this is under 'normal wear and tear'...the phone isn't even two months old yet!!!!! I have no nails whatsoever (literally no part of nail comes even close to extending past the end of my finger) and I type with the pads of my thumbs. It lives in the case that came with the phone 24/7 unless I'm actually using it.

I'm thinking I'm going to just scrap it and get a completely different phone. This is ridiculous. Very poor quality. Why are they painting the keys in the first place? Why not just make them black plastic?
    Which phone are you going to get?

02-27-10 05:22 PM
    learn to type with your thumbs, the ridges are designed to stick out so you don't need nails, not the other way around.
    02-27-10 06:13 PM
    lol you guys didnt even read the question
    i said i cant use my thumbs they are too big and im forced to use nail.
    if i cut nail then i cant use anything

the shape of the buttons changed not the size
    8900 has same size keyboard but the bttons are flat with rounded edges so when i press it with my nail i press the flat part and not the edge like on 9700

this phone is not made for one handed operation if anyone even notticed

how many of you use only one hand to type?
    I really don't do it often, but I have tried typing with one-hand and it's OK for me...
    02-27-10 10:26 PM
    i only had my 9700 for less than 3 weeks and i absolutely hate that fkn keyboard
    its small and the keys are oddly shaped which forces me to use my fingernails to type.

a week ago i notticed that the coating on the keys is wearing off already

2fkn weeks old damn it!!!!!!!!!!!

i already have 3 keys with light poking thru the hole in the coating

wtf RIM

i really hate to say this because i love the blackbery phone but it seems that the quality goes down the drain with these new devices

i dropped my old 8320 curve about 8 times on concrete and there was barely a scratch on it.
    and it was built solid. no squeaks or anything moving around

my 8900 i dropped once and it looked like a damn chew toy
    although it was still better built than 9700 at lest 8900 keys held up for about 2-3 months before wearing off

im so disapointed because i paid over 500 dollars for this damn phone.

Can you take it back to ATT?
    02-27-10 11:32 PM
    I absolutly love the keypad, mine seem very well made and the beveled edges help me hit the right ones

02-28-10 12:08 AM
    Had mine about 3months and still doin good...I admit that the transition from the 9000 to the 9700 has made me start typing more so w/ my finger tips but, for what the phone has that's a small price to pay

02-28-10 01:28 AM
    You suck . Bold 2 is imba

02-28-10 08:39 PM
    i dont know what you're rapping about OP, the keypad on this thing is perfect. I can type on this so fast, its not even funny anymore.
    02-28-10 08:56 PM
    i dont know what you're rapping about OP, the keypad on this thing is perfect. I can type on this so fast, its not even funny anymore.
    You have small fingers

02-28-10 10:26 PM
    I managed to get my keys sorted I gave orange (uk) a ring and they said my phone (which is 3 months old) was covered under warranty and they sent me out a replacement front the next day

My advice try the manufacturers warranty as its 12 months and unless its different in the states should cover any keyboard problems you have.
    03-01-10 03:16 AM
    Is it perfect now! Just need a little bit of hands on to jackup the key buttons

03-01-10 10:27 AM
    I agree about the keys being crap... I went to take my phone out of my pocket today and the arrow key fell right out of the keyboard... absolute garbage if you ask me...
    03-01-10 12:48 PM
    I have to agree that this isn't the best keyboard. My keyboard is in great shape, but I've had the 9700 since mid-November and I STILL miss the keyboard on my 8900!!

Love everything else about this BB, just wish they had stuck with the other keyboard style. This just isn't as comfortable to type on, IMHO.
    03-01-10 01:59 PM
    The keyboard is golden. Coming from a 8520.
    03-01-10 02:21 PM
    I agree about the keys being crap... I went to take my phone out of my pocket today and the arrow key fell right out of the keyboard... absolute garbage if you ask me...
    Replace a new keypad, the tear and wear rate seems higher

03-01-10 05:08 PM
    i just purchased a 9700 from AT&T (made the switch from the 9000). mine actually shipped with a tiny chip on the silver row that sits between the keys. i spoke with an AT&T retention rep, since i got the phone through an upgrade incentive. since it is under 30 days, they said i would have to send it back, and that they couldn't send me an advance replacement like a warranty repair.

i checked with my local AT&T store to see if they could do it, but they said that it was a cosmetic issue and wouldn't make the switch.

it is such a minor issue and everything else is working perfectly, so i am just chalking this up as the first of several inevitable dings the phone will get. i can always order a new one from cnn.cn for about $15 if it really gets to me. plus, i had already applied a nice screen protector by the time i noticed, so i'd have to pay again for a new one since they never apply as well the second time.

i'm still disappointed that the phone arrived with a tiny imperfection, but it seems like a small price to pay for such a fantastic phone.
    03-01-10 07:25 PM
    i just purchased a 9700 from AT&T (made the switch from the 9000). mine actually shipped with a tiny chip on the silver row that sits between the keys. i spoke with an AT&T retention rep, since i got the phone through an upgrade incentive. since it is under 30 days, they said i would have to send it back, and that they couldn't send me an advance replacement like a warranty repair.

i checked with my local AT&T store to see if they could do it, but they said that it was a cosmetic issue and wouldn't make the switch.

it is such a minor issue and everything else is working perfectly, so i am just chalking this up as the first of several inevitable dings the phone will get. i can always order a new one from cnn.cn for about $15 if it really gets to me. plus, i had already applied a nice screen protector by the time i noticed, so i'd have to pay again for a new one since they never apply as well the second time.

i'm still disappointed that the phone arrived with a tiny imperfection, but it seems like a small price to pay for such a fantastic phone.
    Good luck to you, it is hard to get a perfect phone.

03-01-10 08:57 PM
    Replace the keypad!
    It works like charm

03-01-10 09:40 PM
    What do you be doing with it? Throwing it around

Actually, I'm a girl and quite gentle with my phones, always in mint shape, always have a screen protector and in a protective case-- and have NEVER dropped it once. I didn't do anything to force my arrow button key to fall out of my keyboard. I literally went and pulled it out of my pocket to reply to a text and the arrow key just fell out. My 9700 is currently in for repairs so I suppose they will be changing the keyboard...
    03-02-10 10:50 AM
    i only had my 9700 for less than 3 weeks and i absolutely hate that fkn keyboard
    its small and the keys are oddly shaped which forces me to use my fingernails to type.

a week ago i notticed that the coating on the keys is wearing off already

2fkn weeks old damn it!!!!!!!!!!!

i already have 3 keys with light poking thru the hole in the coating

wtf RIM

i really hate to say this because i love the blackbery phone but it seems that the quality goes down the drain with these new devices

i dropped my old 8320 curve about 8 times on concrete and there was barely a scratch on it.
    and it was built solid. no squeaks or anything moving around
    I have been having the same problems!! I don't know if Rogers got a crappy batch of phones but I'm about to be on my 3rd 9700. First one had batt probs, 2nd one now has the same issue of keys rubbing off (and it's also only 3 weeks old). They sent me a refurb because I was 2 days outside of my 30 day warranty and the trackpad was a piece of crap, it was inset way below the keyboard and my finger had to fit in that little square for it to move around.

This is the most frustrating thing ever, I was a Blackberry advocate ever since my 8320, then the quality went down with the 8900 and I upgraded to the 9700 thinking I was back in business with an amazing BB but I hope this isn't a growing trend - poor quality phones.
    03-10-10 07:54 AM
    I have no quality issues with mine. Having said that, I am amazed at how many people do have issues with keyboards, loose bezels, keys falling off, paint rubbing off etc... Unacceptable.

Simple fix, call warranty until they get a device that has none of those flaws.

Sure its a hassle sometimes, but it only takes a few minutes time.

I know T-Mobile charges for shipping ( at least they did on all my warranty claims when I was a customer ) but AT&T is free, even overnight if you seem unhappy enough.
    03-10-10 09:44 AM
    so my first 9700 had really stiff keys to the point where it was annoying to type..

I received a replacement from rogers...having received it i migrated all my data, skinned it, and then upon playing with it the '0' key does not work whatsoever.

waiting for another replacement....

both phones were made in mexico..dont know if that is an issue..hopefully i am more fortunate the 3rd time...

FML!
    03-13-10 12:06 PM
    sorry to hear that. I must be lucky, my 9700 has absolutely no issues
    03-13-10 12:26 PM
    Played around with my friends 8900.

Much prefer that keypad and the build quality seems to be much higher.
    03-13-10 12:36 PM
119 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD