I went through 4 9700s, this is my 5th and awesome. Had 3 with sketchy keyboards. The one I have now, I have a truesupplier keybaord which is dead on perfect! Feels very tactile and no squeaks or bad clicks!
    02-19-10 02:12 PM
    lol you guys didnt even read the question
    i said i cant use my thumbs they are too big and im forced to use nail.
    if i cut nail then i cant use anything

the shape of the buttons changed not the size
    8900 has same size keyboard but the bttons are flat with rounded edges so when i press it with my nail i press the flat part and not the edge like on 9700

this phone is not made for one handed operation if anyone even notticed

how many of you use only one hand to type?
    02-19-10 09:29 PM
    I've only had mine a few days.. I do mostly love it but I agree w/ the OP. I miss the older rubbery keys of the 8320, these keys are soft touch but they are smaller and slicker.. I have to get used to typing on it.. I don't like the shape of the keys either. Plus I'm used to griping the phone on the upper right corner while I type, the 9700 has a sharp-ish corner, it's been hurting my finger.. I just have to figure out how to do it.
    02-19-10 09:39 PM
    My only complaint is the dust collecting between the keys. Drives me nuts and I'm constantly blowing it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 10:01 PM
    ps. how about a nail clipper?
    thats what i was thinking. or you must be hard on your keyboard.
    02-19-10 10:34 PM
    the keys have a slight slant to help with not having to type with nails so much. just use the side of your thumb. again, what the slants are for.
    02-19-10 10:39 PM

8900 has same size keyboard but the bttons are flat with rounded edges so when i press it with my nail i press the flat part and not the edge like on 9700

One of the reasons why I like the 9700 is because I can type with one hand. But anyway, you should sell your phone since you are so disappointed. Maybe the next new set of bb's will have a better keyboard for you.
    02-19-10 10:47 PM
    I love my 9700, keys are al little close together but my build qulity is amazing. I'm getting used to the keys.
    02-19-10 11:10 PM
    i hated the keys at first, too used too my 8330 i g,uess but after a few weeks i actually like the keyboard better than any other full keyboard phone ive ever had. never had an issue with the build quality but then again all my 9700's were made in canada and i hear the mexican made ones suck.
    02-19-10 11:20 PM
    The keyboard I don't mind too much but agree they are abit weird at first but once you get used too them they are much easier to type on.
    02-20-10 01:41 AM
    I type with 1 hand.... That's what's great about this phone. If your thumbs are too big why didn't you get the 9000 or maybe even try out the phone b4 buying it??
    I don't consider this a problem with RIM.... This is a problem with your decision on what device to use.

02-20-10 02:06 AM

I regularly type one handed, which is one of the main reasons I prefer the small size over the larger 9000.
    Typing one handed now! :-)

02-20-10 05:21 PM
    i hated the keys at first, too used too my 8330 i g,uess but after a few weeks i actually like the keyboard better than any other full keyboard phone ive ever had. never had an issue with the build quality but then again all my 9700's were made in canada and i hear the mexican made ones suck.
    Nope - mine is Mexican made and it's perfect. There are also a lot of people here that have Mexican devices, excellent build. I don't have data as to the percentages, though.
    02-20-10 05:27 PM
    Wow, another complaint and the fanboys act up.

The 9700 is the most over rated BB ever.

One week later with it I still believe this.

Endless hourglasses even while in 3G mode

Trackpad does not allow precise movement for games, Brickbreaker isn't even fun anymore.

Browser gets stuck on ...Loading screen once a day, battery pull.

Keyboard is horrible.

Trackpad is horrible.

No need to flame me fanboys but I just find it so amusing how brainwashed a lot of you are.

The 9700 is absolutely an over rated, not any better than the 8900, device.

Same OS

Same bugs

Nothing new.

Plain and simple.

Anyhoo, my 8900 replacement is at the Post Office, I'll post pics Monday.

Muah.

02-20-10 05:51 PM
    Wow, another complaint and the fanboys act up.

The 9700 is the most over rated BB ever.

One week later with it I still believe this.

Endless hourglasses even while in 3G mode

Trackpad does not allow precise movement for games, Brickbreaker isn't even fun anymore.

Browser gets stuck on ...Loading screen once a day, battery pull.

Keyboard is horrible.

Trackpad is horrible.

No need to flame me fanboys but I just find it so amusing how brainwashed a lot of you are.

The 9700 is absolutely an over rated, not any better than the 8900, device.

Same OS

Same bugs

Nothing new.

Plain and simple.

Anyhoo, my 8900 replacement is at the Post Office, I'll post pics Monday.

Muah.

I don't have any of the problems your talking about. Mine does not lag, but again I have all of 3 apps on it so far because i don't use it for much more then radio or communication. Like I said above I'm still getting used to the keys but i can type very fast on it. My browser does not seem to get stuck but maybe down the road it is, for that i could clear the cookies and such.

Hourglass for me appears when i start it up for about 20 seconds. My trackpad isn't bad, much better then the trackball I had on the bold 1 or even the track pad on my 8520.

I don't think its over rated at all. I'm sorry YOUR 9700 didn't hold up to your standers.

Lastly brainwashed? For real? That's just ridiculous. This is a 9700 form page, obviously 75% or more of us will be 9700 lovers. You don't need to be rude about it. Respect our opinions like you wish use "fanboys" to respect yours.
    02-20-10 06:11 PM
    Compared side to side I do like the larger form factor of my older 8800 I have gorrilla hands so its a little. Harder but that's about it. I use an otter box. During the week and the leather pouch on the week end so my 2 y/o BB looks brand new.

02-20-10 07:28 PM
    I can type fine on my 9700, as this is my first BB I cant comment on it compared to other models.

My first 9700 lasted 3 days and went back after I did a reboot and the phone locked up at about 75%.. replaced no questions asked.

Then the new phone lost two keys within a month, carrier refused to replace it unless I wanted to pay a $150 out of warranty replacement.. in addition the raised dimple on the D key had the coating come off leaving a white spot..

My phone guy tried to go direct to RIM for a replacement and even showed me the email reply he got about the keyboard and RIM left me out to dry.. I went online and purchased a keyboard and did my own repairs..

FWIW this is a Canadian made BB.
    02-20-10 08:32 PM
    like a few others have said, it does have a one year man. warranty , take it back and get a new one, problem solved, just got mine about a month ago and still pristine condition, even with no case, no screen protector and one 5 foot drop onto tile.
    02-20-10 11:08 PM
    My favorite part of these complaint threads is the fact that you don't have to have the phone. It's not a replacement that you were stuck with - you peeped the phone before you bought it. You saw the keys/screen, etc. If it's too small for your liking, DON'T GET IT.

I swear, people love to ***** about stuff. A list of gripes? Really? That NOT everyone has experienced... okay. Either replace it or move on.

I don't doubt the quality is lacking sometimes - that's with any product nowadays, as far as I'm concerned. (disgusting) But I laugh when people talk about the quality of one product, quantifying it by stating how abusive and negligent they were with a previous item with supposed zero issues. lol "Man, I used to be able to let my pit bull chew on it for an hour, then drive my Tundra over it every morning before work - not a scratch." FOH You're right - if you want a smartphone that you can punt up and down your driveway, with minimal surface damage, the 9700 may NOT be the way you want to go.
    02-21-10 01:24 AM
    you just said you type with your nails, umm that's why your paint is fading, you're scrapping it off, so it isn't Blackberry, it's just you. I just got my 9700 and had a 8320, and I thought i wouldn't like the bold style keyboard, but I type better with the bold style keyboard then the curve, the curve I was typing with the inner corners on my thumbs, but not anymore. But everyone is different.
    02-21-10 03:12 AM
    where is your phone made?

ps. how about a nail clipper?
    haha....so true
    02-21-10 03:47 AM
    I didn't like mine at first but I got used to them. Luckily I don't have enough nails to have the problem with scraping off the coating.
    02-21-10 06:00 AM
    I hooked up an external keyboard
    02-21-10 10:31 AM
    your just unlucky.
    warranty?
    02-21-10 11:49 AM
    Still have no issues whatsoever on mine. OP, you must have King Kong hands......or you are Paul Wight, AKA The Big Show, lol!

02-21-10 12:33 PM
119 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD