Hi All,

I've had my AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 since November of 2009 and am just experiencing this problem.

My device is set so the backlight goes off after 20 seconds. Whenever I put it down or lock it, the backlight goes off just as it should. But, within 5-10 minutes, it turns back on without provocation and won't shut off again until I unlock and re-lock the phone.

As you can imagine, this is killing my battery life. I've tried playing with the settings, but nothing seems to do the trick. I've rebooted several times and removed the battery twice, but neither has worked.

Anyone encounter this issue and/or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thank you!!

Todd
    07-06-10 09:51 PM
    unless you have that app that keeps the backlight on as desired, i would reinstall or update the OS. i bet that would definitely fix the issue, as it sounds as an OS related fault.
    07-07-10 02:29 AM
    mmm . . you might want to consider upgrading your OS as dictorenso stated above

or maybe you have installed a theme which is messing things up
    07-07-10 02:33 AM
    mmm . . you might want to consider upgrading your OS as dictorenso stated above

or maybe you have installed a theme which is messing things up
    i doubt a theme would control the backlight. only apps or the OS would control it.
    07-07-10 02:36 AM
    i doubt a theme would control the backlight. only apps or the OS would control it.
    I shall add this to my CB daily info gained
    07-07-10 02:53 AM
    I shall add this to my CB daily info gained
    yea the OS will control backlight settings (stock feature, user defined auto dim on/off and time to dim). the aftermarket app thats used to keep the backlight on (for example, constant gps use), will just override the stock OS settings. a theme will control nothing more, as far as i can tell, than GUI appearance, wallpapers, menus, icons and maybe sounds but i doubt it.
    07-07-10 03:13 AM
    I have to agree its either the OS or an APP controlling and affecting the back lighting. I also had this issue before and mine was a combination of OS and App that was automatically updating turning off the light and then turning it back on. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Bassferg likes this.
    07-07-10 03:21 AM
    ive seen my backlight randomly turning on unprovoked every now and then, but it just dims itself again after like 20 seconds.
    07-07-10 03:26 AM
    Happens to me every once & a while. Usually I just throw my phone at the nearest wall. Fixes it every time. Screen turns off just like I wanted it to.

Warning- results may vary

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 01:39 PM
    Something similiar happens to my 9100, when i put it on charger and lay it down the black light doesnt go off unless i hold the mute button on top
    07-07-10 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD