With Verizon dragging their feet on the 9650, it's looking like it's going to be June before they release it.

My contract is up in June, so I'm thinking I may just jump over to AT&T and go with the Slider 9800 when it comes out in June (rumored date).

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/sl...t-pics-470924/

It looks like a Storm with a slideout Bold qwerty keyboard. It will be interesting to see which comes out first, the 9650 with VZW or 9800 with AT&T.
    05-21-10 03:06 PM
    Since it will probably be the first OS6 device out, I would definitely think twice about doing that. Make sure OS6 has time to mature and the Webkit browser is really all its talked up to be.
    05-21-10 03:09 PM
    Since it will probably be the first OS6 device out, I would definitely think twice about doing that. Make sure OS6 has time to mature and the Webkit browser is really all its talked up to be.
    I would assume it would be possible to downgrade to OS5 if OS6 is buggy at first? I don't know for sure, I may be wrong. I am just so frustrated with Verizon right now. I swore I would never go to AT&T but they are getting the best Blackberrys now and in the near future.
    05-21-10 04:39 PM
    Yeah i was in between getting the Bold, Waiting 4 the EVO to come out, OR waiting til Q4 to get the Slider... I ended up going with the Bold... Ordered it today as a matter of fact... I wont use everything on the EVO, and im going to wait til the bugs are out of the Slider... I'll upgrade to that next year...
    05-21-10 04:59 PM
    I would assume it would be possible to downgrade to OS5 if OS6 is buggy at first? I don't know for sure, I may be wrong. I am just so frustrated with Verizon right now. I swore I would never go to AT&T but they are getting the best Blackberrys now and in the near future.
    Man, I'd never change providers for any phone. But that's just me. Verizon has coverage(+3g) where att has nada. A plus imho.
    I'm not much interested in a touch screen device anyway so I'd pass on it. When I think BB, I think solid physical kb with the old tried and true bar form. They are the last hold out for that and the reason I'm coming back to BB as soon as V gets the 9650. I know they're trying other forms and touch devices. I just prefer the solid old form.
    05-21-10 05:01 PM
    I'm all over the slider as soon as they bring it to T-Mo...
    05-21-10 05:48 PM
    If the phone comes out with OS6, there's a good chance you will not be able to downgrade the OS. Many times newer technology can't downgrade to older OS's due to the hardware in the phone. I'm not sure about this, but it wouldnt surprise me if you couldn't. Anyone else care to ring in on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 12:22 AM
    If the hardware is the same as a currently-released device, it *MAY* be possible to make a hybrid downgrade... But highly unlikely. I'm sure the 6.0 radio won't work with 5.0 files.
    05-22-10 12:50 AM
    I'm guessing not... Since this will b the 1st OS 6.0 Device out, there is no 5.0 OS to go to... 5 was never created for the slider, since it will initally have 6...
    05-22-10 05:56 AM
    good luck with the 3G coverage... which i am sure you know is ranked
    1. vz
    2. sprint
    3. att
    4. tmo

so you want to pay the most money for the 3rd best network?.. okie dokie!
    05-22-10 07:28 AM
    good luck with the 3G coverage... which i am sure you know is ranked
    1. vz
    2. sprint
    3. att
    4. tmo

so you want to pay the most money for the 3rd best network?.. okie dokie!
    I couldn't agree more. If not for GSM's lackluster coverage/service in the US I would have a Bold 9700 by now. I just can't get myself to leave the solid CDMA networks i've grown to know and love.
    05-22-10 08:24 AM
    Where I live At&t coverage is not 3g. I must drive about 190 miles to get 3g on At&t while Verizon 3g is good here. But I also agree that At&t has the better selection of Blackberry phones. Maybe one day Verizon will get ahead of At&t and I will enjoy the latest Blackberry's and good coverage. I prefer Blackberry to other phones.
    05-22-10 08:38 AM
    Where I live I know lots of people on the AT&T network and they seem to have adequate data speeds. I guess it's a regional thing.
    05-24-10 09:52 AM
    I'm planning on upgrading to the 9650, but if this bad boy comes out with the 9650's innards (CDMA goodness at home, Unlocked GSM SIM, HSDPA for traveling, EDGE at home in a pinch) I will hold out.

We need to see an FCC filing or bribe a leaker to crack this thing open so we can make up our minds.

--Qfg
    05-24-10 09:58 AM
    There was rumor of the 9800 coming to Sprint by the end of 2010... that would be great if that were true... Loving the 9650 so far, and not ready to flip it just yet

But I have phone upgrade-itis, and by year's end, I'd probably be ready for the 9800... but only if it comes to Sprint... not going back to at&t... no way (I've been on all 4 carriers... T-Mo recently... great but p!ss poor data speeds... Sprint has been the best so far on all fronts (cheap plans, fast data, great voice and signal)...
    05-24-10 10:08 AM
    I've seen the Sprint rumors, but the unknown is whether it will be just a CDMA phone, like the Curve, or a multiband world phone.

Come on, leakers, give me a sign!

--Qfg
    05-24-10 12:04 PM

The 9800 is freaking ugly.
    05-24-10 12:15 PM
    I've seen the Sprint rumors, but the unknown is whether it will be just a CDMA phone, like the Curve, or a multiband world phone.

Come on, leakers, give me a sign!

--Qfg
    It won't be CDMA initially, that's why AT&T gets first crack at it.
    05-24-10 01:08 PM
    9650 because it's available NOW
    05-24-10 01:20 PM
    9650 because it's available NOW
    Not with Verizon it's not. That's the whole premise of this thread...if the AT&T Slider 9800 and the Verizon Bold 9650 come out the same month, which is the better phone?
    05-24-10 02:50 PM
    So you're wanting to compare the ***AT&T*** 9800 with the ***Verizon*** 9650, but dismiss the ***Sprint*** 9650? Your logic makes no sense... It's not like Verizon is getting the 9800.
    05-24-10 03:04 PM
    I don't think I would like a slider....
    05-24-10 03:20 PM
    So you're wanting to compare the ***AT&T*** 9800 with the ***Verizon*** 9650, but dismiss the ***Sprint*** 9650? Your logic makes no sense... It's not like Verizon is getting the 9800.
    No, I'm saying it may be worth switching carriers for a superior phone. I wouldn't switch to Sprint to get the same phone that will be at Verizon within the next month (I hope), but I may be willing to switch carriers for a phone with more features, more memory, and a faster processor.
    05-24-10 04:01 PM
    Dang, another Slider 9800 video released. I've really been looking forward to the 9650, but this 9800 looks really cool.

05-24-10 09:46 PM
    It won't be CDMA initially, that's why AT&T gets first crack at it.
    I know. The specific rumor I referenced is that CDMA will be along in Q4. But RIM uses two different CDMA innards: the CDMA-only bits from the Curve and Pearl, and the CDMA+GSM/HSDPA guts of the Tour, Storm, and new Bold. With differences between models.

If the 98xx series comes out in CDMA form using the 9650 radios, I'd wait. If it's only going to be CDMA, I'd jump on the 9650 now.

That's all assuming I don't want to jump carriers, of course. That would depend on the 3G radios inside the 9800. If they're quad-band HSDPA that work on both AT&T's US 3G network and the European 2100Mhz 3G bands, that would be tempting. That's why I asked earlier what "world phone" really meant.

Come on, leakers, give us an FCC filing or crack one open!

--Qfg
    05-25-10 08:07 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD