This morning the messaging stopped working on my Bold 9650.

I decided to go ahead and install the new OS that was released a few months ago, but I am having problems connecting the device to the desktop manager or through the app loader. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to proceed getting my device going again.

I just backed it up yesterday, so would a device wipe be in order?

What should I do?
    07-26-11 03:26 PM
    You might try this procedure from BlackBerry 101. How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

I don't recommend an OS upgrade to try to fix a problem, because of the situation you are in. If the upgrade doesn't work, you're worse off than before.
    07-26-11 03:34 PM
    What would you suggest then?
    07-26-11 03:38 PM
    If your attempt to upgrade your OS has left your device inoperative, I suggest the BlackBerry 101 procedure I referenced above.

If your device is still working properly other than messaging, resending your service books and re-registering the Host Routing Table may be sufficient. If not, you will have to call your customer service department. There isn't really anything else a user can do to restore service (assuming you've rebooted already).

How to Resend Service Books
    07-26-11 04:05 PM
    Thanks for you help on this. I got the new OS software from Verizon and was able force it to install through the app loader. The app loader did not recognize the device and neither did the desktop manager.

At any rate, the new OS was installed without my data! Luckily, I had backed my device up on Sunday and ran the restore and everything turned out perfectly.

Moral of the story: Backup - Backup - Backup
    07-27-11 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD