My only issue so far has been the volume with 2 apps. Both telenav an slacker are very low. I have the volume set to its highest but still can barely hear them....anyone else run into this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 07:50 AM
    Can you please explain *288 and which PRL to update. Already running 599. Thank you in advance.

06-07-10 07:57 AM
    Excuse me *228

06-07-10 07:58 AM
    I had this same issue too - UNTIL I went in thru OPTIONS -> SMS Text -> Delivery Report and set to 'On'. Everytime I tried to set the option while in SMS and then OPTIONS, it just reverted back (very annoying). So, try to set it thru the main options and see if that works - it did for me!
    Thanks! I was having the same problem but changing the setting from main options also fixed the issue.
    06-07-10 08:36 AM
    My vibe is weak also, but coming from an ozone(to much in meetings) I actually find it a nice change.
    My RF is steady and fine. I don't use global mode tho. Don't know if that helps or not.
    06-07-10 09:58 AM
    Has anyone who upgraded from an 9630 found that for the same ringer or alert tones that you have to increase the setting by 3. For example to get the ringer to equal the loudness of setting 6 on the 9630, I have to set the 9650 to 9.

Anyone else?
    Noticed this along with the vibration being weaker.
    06-07-10 02:00 PM
    I'm thinking its more of the device being heavier and not as light and plasticy like the curve 8330

*talking abt the vibration level
    06-07-10 02:04 PM
    My vibration is just as good if not stronger than my tour was. Also, my reception is better too. Mine doesnt fluctuate at all. As far as volume mine is definitely not as loud as my tour was but I can still hear it at least. My only other gripe is the trackpad being crooked and sticking up further on the left hand side.
    06-07-10 02:14 PM
    My "J" key doesn't work from certain angles. I just have to push harder. A little annoying, but not a deal breaker.
    06-07-10 04:23 PM
    Is it me or is the browser very slow? or is it because ive been using an incredible for a few days already
    06-07-10 04:58 PM
    The probable cause for the vibration being weaker is that the 9650 is heavy...

The heavier the phone, the less the phone will move.
    06-07-10 05:00 PM
    The probable cause for the vibration being weaker is that the 9650 is heavy...

The heavier the phone, the less the phone will move.
    I understand that, but its so weak, vibrate is now a useless feature. Maybe it is only an issue with me considering how much I use it. I've considered taking the phone back (briefly) for that reason alone. No, I'm not one of those people who switch phones constantly or complain about every feature, I just want, first and foremost, that any phone performs the basic phone operations and features almost perfectly. Otherwise, what's the point?!

06-07-10 05:19 PM
    If it's a dealbreaker, take it back. But for most it won't be and for most the vibrate isn't useless.
    06-07-10 05:32 PM
    If it's a dealbreaker, take it back. But for most it won't be and for most the vibrate isn't useless.
    No, I understand that it isn't a deal breaker for most, I was trying to gauge just how weak it was for other people or if it was an isolated issue. It appears to be a solid device and that is my main gripe up to this point.

06-07-10 05:38 PM
    Problem is it's hard to gauge what you are considering a weak vibrate. It's sorta subjective and not that easy to describe. I can tell if the device vibrates, but it's not the strongest vibrate I've seen.

You could just always go to a store and see if the demo unit vibrate is similar.
    06-07-10 05:47 PM
    Problem is it's hard to gauge what you are considering a weak vibrate. It's sorta subjective and not that easy to describe. I can tell if the device vibrates, but it's not the strongest vibrate I've seen.

You could just always go to a store and see if the demo unit vibrate is similar.
    Thanks for your responses. Yes, I plan to head to the store and test another unit.

06-07-10 05:50 PM
    I wonder if the bold is like the tour in that changing the global setting to 1XEV might help battery life.
    if remember correctly, removing the sim card from the storm 1 and changing the setting you mentioned made the device actually run faster and more stable. i know as soon as i read that i tried it and half of my problems disappeared. i dont go global so i dont care about the simcard. but turning off global should help battery life, at least i would think so anyway.

i have an 8330 now and the battery life from my womans tour is at least double what i get with similar usage on my curve and we both keep programs running to a minimum. i always thought the curves battery was weak sauce and my storm 1 and 2 had better battery than my curve 8330. and i had my battery replaced a few times, upgraded SW, etc and it wasnt helping at all.
    06-07-10 06:19 PM
    The curve series tend to have smaller batteries in general, but they also run smaller displays, etc so it's more of a tradeoff.

Problem with the 8330 is that the cpu is so slow and the app memory is so low that you can run the phone at high usage pretty easily... On the flip side it's not a very powerful cpu, but it might not be terribly energy efficient. I don't know the specs on that.
    06-07-10 06:25 PM
    The curve series tend to have smaller batteries in general, but they also run smaller displays, etc so it's more of a tradeoff.

Problem with the 8330 is that the cpu is so slow and the app memory is so low that you can run the phone at high usage pretty easily... On the flip side it's not a very powerful cpu, but it might not be terribly energy efficient. I don't know the specs on that.
    i think the tour/bold both have 512mhz and the curve 83XX has a 211mhz from what ive read recently. i havent used a curve in almost 2 years (i went from a curve to a storm 1, then a storm 2) and have been using even more powerful phones since and when i started with my curve again which actually was a brand new device sitting on my shelf for over a year i really noticed how slow it really is and how crummy the browser is and its on 4.5. i knew it was only temporary anyways so i am not overly concerned with the speed and downgrade. less than 2 more days and ill have my bold.

as for the vibrate....i personally have not used vibrate for many many years.
    1. i saw a drastic reduction in battery life
    2. if i needed silence for a specific reason i found that i ended up not even needing to use it at that time anyway
    3. when i was in law enforcement i did undercover work that many times required me to be stealth, and on some phones i noticed the vibrate was very loud and in a completely silent environment. not to say that others would hear it but i heard it and thats why i decided to not use it anymore, and i wasnt at liberty to use it at those times anyways as i was in a lot of dark environments and the phone lighting up was enough to be considered an open target lol.
    4. in a noisy environment where you probably cant hear your ringer (IE streets of NYC) you would use vibrate, but even then i didnt feel it as there are so many instances that interfere with it such as people bumping you, grazing you, other loud noises from the street that can vibrate your body a bit to make you feel that your phone is going off, etc and when i did hear my ringer or just happened to check my phone or even make a call i could never hear the other person anyways from all the background noises on the street SO it was pointless again lol

i know everyones needs are different, but hey im just making a point that vibrate isnt always needed or can even work when the silent mode tends to work just fine. if i need silence but am expecting a call or a message ill just keep my eyes open for the LED or something indicating i have a message or a call.

i guess ive given up on vibrate years ago that i found reasons to not bother with it lol. but i do remember when i did use it i always tested the vibrate a lot before buying because some phones were worthless and some were crazy loud and strong and it mattered to me at one point, and i noticed about 5 or 6 years ago vibrate on phones seemed to get worse and on BB's i was never impressed with vibrate but the BB functionality far outweighed my need for vibrate and i started to realize i really dont need it and havent used it for at least 5 years.

ok babbling over lol

also, what is your screen brightness and auto dim settings at? i noticed my first day back to my curve that i was getting horrid battery life then i checked and auto dim was off and my brightness was at 100. i reduced it to 40 and put autodim on and ill get over a day with my curve. my tour was still better (woman has it now) and still is great almost a year later. remember, screen brightness, and running apps like hullomail and youmail tend to KILL battery life. i think poynt was another one that killed battery life. weather programs im not sure never really used them much i just bookmarked a webpage for that.
    Last edited by sigtwenty; 06-07-10 at 06:50 PM.
    06-07-10 06:47 PM
    Trackpad is off a little but that seems common. But my "back" button is creaky and driving me crazy. Probably will swap it out when the local stores put them on sale

And the other thing I noticed is that the battery meter doesnt reflect the actual amount left. For example it might say i have 70% battery. I will do a restart and it drops down to 20 %
    Last edited by marc34; 06-07-10 at 07:31 PM.
    06-07-10 07:24 PM
    as for the vibrate....i personally have not used vibrate for many many years.
    1. i saw a drastic reduction in battery life
    Yeah, ideally you don't want to use vibrate because it does kill the battery (especially with push email if you have a lot of emails or messages coming in that keep triggering it).
    06-07-10 07:30 PM
    Just picked up the 9650 today! Huge upgrade from my 8330. I cant seem to get the wifi to work properly. The wifi bar is constantly grey and black, my home network name appears at the top of the screen and it says wifi is connected in the services status menu. but when i turn of the radio nothing works no email or internet browsing. Was curious to see if anyone has an answer for this, verizon is useless
    06-07-10 07:36 PM
    Trackpad is off a little but that seems common. But my "back" button is creaky and driving me crazy. Probably will swap it out when the local stores put them on sale

And the other thing I noticed is that the battery meter doesnt reflect the actual amount left. For example it might say i have 70% battery. I will do a restart and it drops down to 20 %
    i would definately swap out your device because of the creaky button that would drive me nuts.

sounds like a software update is needed for this battery issue.

i remember some samsung windows phones i had that would say i had 25% battery left, but on a restart i had 50% left. i know its the opposite of what you are saying but same concept. for some reason i cannot imagine a nearly identical device to the tour in many ways including same screen and processor not get the same battery life or at least damn near similar.
    06-07-10 11:05 PM
    Same exact issue. Almost as if the buttons next to the track pad are not totally solid and squeak a little when pressed. I ordered online. Do you think I could take it to my local VZW store and get a new one? Would they just send me away and say it works fine? How have people's experiences with things like this been??
    06-08-10 12:27 AM
    Can you please explain *288 and which PRL to update. Already running 599. Thank you in advance.

It updates your radio file based on your location basically. my reception has been a little better since doing this.
    06-08-10 01:25 AM
274 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD