Hi everyone! This is my first post and I am a little curious as to if the Blackberry Bold 9000 (NOT 9900) is worth buying nowadays... I see it brand new unlocked at Best Buy for 79.99 and I'm wondering if it's a good deal. Thing is I have an iPhone 5s and AT&T won't unlock it (cos im in contract) so I need a phone for when I travel abroad (which is very often). I've ALWAYS wanted a blackberry and I see this as an opportunity to finally get my dream phone haha. I want a Bold, but I can't find an unlocked 9900 anywhere and the ones that offer it (ebay, craigslist) want like 250!
    So does anyone still use their BB 9000? Is it worth getting? I only need it to surf the web, text and talk when I'm abroad (I use O2 carrier). Is the web browser good? I don't need the camera cos thats what my iPhone is for. I would be more using it to find Tube times, and buying tickets and etc.

Also, a big thing... does WhatsApp work on the 9000? I've googled this extensively and people are saying it doesnt, but I don't know if thats EVERYONE or just the few posts I saw.
    This won't be a business phone- so I won't be doing emails 24/7. Not yet anyways.

Thanks guys!
    05-08-14 02:20 PM
    Hi and welcome to CrackBerry. The 9000 was a great phone and for what you described will do fine. It runs on OS 6 though, so that's why some may say the Whatsapp may not work. And the browser is not bad. Now the 9900 is fabulous, with a decent browser and Whatsapp will work for sure. PM about a 9900...I have one that I'm selling.
    GuyRichy88 likes this.
    05-08-14 03:21 PM
    The Bold 9000 shipped with OS 4.6, and can be upgraded to OS 5.0.
    WhatsApp definitely will run on it, though we strongly recommend upgrading to the latest OS version you can find for it. (OS 4.6 is far more limited)
    GuyRichy88 likes this.
    05-08-14 05:04 PM
    I don't know. Pretty ancient by today's standards. It will still make calls and do email fine though
    GuyRichy88 likes this.
    05-08-14 05:20 PM
    9000 was a great phone.. but no way ill use it again. 9900 works good and i miss it.

Posted via CB10
    GuyRichy88 likes this.
    05-08-14 05:24 PM
    Thanks everyone! Do you think the Bold 9000 would be fine just for when I travel abroad? Main thing would be using the broswer to find the quicket tube routes and booking tickets to a west end show and all that good stuff. I would only use it for about 2 weeks every 3 months. It will NOT be my daily phone. I might try to Bluetooth tether it so I can use my iPhone more. (Is that even possible with this model??) Would it be suffice for that? Ive read thats its slow and stuff and I don't want to be waiting 5 minutes for a page to load when I have 30 seconds to hop in the tube or not haha. I know I wont get the same apps as I have on iPhone or Android people but its called Google. I can just look for info haha. I can get the Bold for 50 bucks on Best Buy. Worth it? Don't want to spend a whole lot on my first blackberry in case it doesnt crak out to be all tht I thought it would be.
    05-09-14 09:18 AM
    for communications it cant be beat (except for by another Bold model)

have you considered a 9700? its a generation newer and its a bit snappier

So for calls and texts i would use the unlocked BB for sure.
    05-20-14 02:16 PM
    Hi and welcome to CrackBerry. The 9000 was a great phone and for what you described will do fine. It runs on OS 6 though, so that's why some may say the Whatsapp may not work. And the browser is not bad. Now the 9900 is fabulous, with a decent browser and Whatsapp will work for sure. PM about a 9900...I have one that I'm selling.

9000 isn't capable of BBOS6. OS5 is the best it gets, and it needs to be shrunk way down to run OS5, or else that spinning black clock will really get going. I had a 9000. It was a great device 5 years ago, but I'd never recommend it now. The only legacy devices I'd recommend are the 9900/9930.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    05-20-14 02:53 PM
    Thanks everyone! Do you think the Bold 9000 would be fine just for when I travel abroad? Main thing would be using the broswer to find the quicket tube routes and booking tickets to a west end show and all that good stuff. I would only use it for about 2 weeks every 3 months. It will NOT be my daily phone. I might try to Bluetooth tether it so I can use my iPhone more. (Is that even possible with this model??) Would it be suffice for that? Ive read thats its slow and stuff and I don't want to be waiting 5 minutes for a page to load when I have 30 seconds to hop in the tube or not haha. I know I wont get the same apps as I have on iPhone or Android people but its called Google. I can just look for info haha. I can get the Bold for 50 bucks on Best Buy. Worth it? Don't want to spend a whole lot on my first blackberry in case it doesnt crak out to be all tht I thought it would be.

The browser on the 9000 is junk compared to that of any modern devices. The 9900 has a much better browser.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    05-20-14 02:55 PM
    have you considered a cheap unlocked Lumia? i think they have some starting at about 100
    05-20-14 03:16 PM