It can be done, based on what you want.
    ^
    |
    this part is subjective...

I can do a comparison of the iPhone 3g vs Bold right now, but who the **** cares? It would just be based on opinion. What's a pitfall to me is not to someone else.

I don't have major loyalty to either brand and I'm getting rid of my Bold anyways, so the bias crap can go out the window.

You have a 30 day return window and the resell values are high on newly released devices. People not doing homework is the problem, not a lack of comparisons. The damn comparisons are all over the place... You could find Bold vs iPhone 3g comparisons before the Bold even released...
    06-11-09 06:33 PM
    I would care about your opinion, especially if i was in the market to spend 300 dollars on a new device that i would HAVE to keep for the next 2 years...or upgrade to another phone and pay 400 to 500 dollars...s yes, i think your opinion would matter to me considering you have some knowledge dealing with both devices.

You see it all the time, people go to ATT stores, (i do this myself) scroll through the options, then say "how does this compare to phone x?" the employee could care less but push whatever phone they will get a better commission on.

people dont even know what they have till a couple of months down the road anyhow...like most with the Iphone, after they load all the applications in the world, play movies..get bored 3 months later, they want to chuck the phone accross the street cause it cant type a simple phone number
    Last edited by jesse101; 06-11-09 at 06:41 PM.
    06-11-09 06:38 PM
    You don't though, there's a 30 day window to return it and get a new phone with upgrade discount.

And what smartphone releases (even entry and mid level range) don't have multiple comparisons you can look up online?
    06-11-09 06:42 PM
    30 days isnt long enough...

and yes people should do their homework before they buy or get a new phone, but who really does? like i said, same deal with Car and Driver, or Motor trend...

people can go to any dealership and "test drive" a car, but they honestly dont know what they are getting, which is why they can rely on reviews such magazines and editors make. You are not going to be able to hit the highway then come to a complete stop and guess what is the cars frontal crash ratings...

I personally did go online, look at the differences between both phones, went to the store and held both phones (non 3GS just 3G) and came up with a decision...i honestly wanted an Iphone at first, especially considering the 8GB was selling for 99 dollars..but before i did, i looked into all blackberry devices, even with other carriers (such as Verizon, which is better service in most areas)...

my point is, i spent weeks making my decision..i think it would have been nice to pick up a magazine, look at what the editors chose...and no they cant be just any editor, at least somebody experienced dealing with such devices..

that would be awesome, saves me weeks of research, the headache on going around on forums or youtube to get other peoples opinions on such devices and so on..30 days?

thats JMHO.
    06-11-09 06:53 PM
    I don't get it though.

-The comparisons are there. There is no lack of them.

and yes people should do their homework before they buy or get a new phone, but who really does? like i said, same deal with Car and Driver, or Motor trend...
    If you choose not to, what good are said reviews/comparisons going to make?
    They're all over various blogs and the information is practically handed to you. But the problem is that people just don't want to bother? If a person buys $20,000 cars and $600 phones on a whim, I dunno what they expect in regards to "buyer's regret" because they didn't want to use easily available research.
    Last edited by papped; 06-11-09 at 07:00 PM.
    06-11-09 06:57 PM
    there is a lack of them, when you read such comparisons, some people didnt even know about the phones features! which is the point i was trying to make earlier (the guy who got a free bold to run a review and didnt know how to use its email). Or they sum up the review (most common) "devices are too different to compare" basically they dont want to take the time to actually make a comparison, or dont want to get flamed, or want the next free phone, or want more ads for their site...or want more hits...
    06-11-09 07:09 PM
    This is why it's not that easy to compare though...

Bold as a media device:
    -Is the Bold a good media device? Yeah.

But, the only reason video playback good is because I can convert movies quickly and easily, so I can store a ton of them on a microsd.
    Was it crystal clear or simple getting to that point myself? Not really... Now it's cake though.

If you're talking unconverted videos it's horrible and most videos won't even work. Dealbreaker for some, minor issue for others. I can watch any videos I want without issue because I know how to do it.

MP3's? Works great for me. But I also don't use the media manager and my mp3's are tagged very cleanly and I manage everything through MediaMonkey before transferring them directly to the microsd.
    Compare this to someone who's transferring itunes DRM files mixed in with who knows what else, doesn't know what id3 tags are and is using the blackberry media manager to sync and the experience could easily be 100% different.

Pretty good media player for my use.
    Disaster for someone else.

Make it more complicated? Some of the videos probably wouldn't work on the official .167 OS, whereas they will on later OS's. So two people with the same phone (who likely won't mention what OS they are using) can end up with different results on the same video.
    Last edited by papped; 06-11-09 at 07:20 PM.
    06-11-09 07:18 PM
    So the iPhone is a toy because it can do more fun things than a BB can, but is still used in the corporate world and offers exchange, push email, and mail folders. That makes sense.

Brick breaker comes preloaded on every BB, I guess because it comes with a game that makes it a toy too. I mean, you have to go to the iTunes store to get your first game for the iPhone. App world has more games than anything else so that makes BBs more of a toy than a business tool.
    06-11-09 08:16 PM
    If someone published a book: Bold vs. iPhone, it would be a NY Times bestseller overnight for how many people are interested in comparing apples and oranges.
    06-11-09 08:22 PM
    Well Papped maybe you can come up with a tutorial to show me how to easily convert movies on my micro sd card. Its a freakin nightmare for me to convert my DVD to my bold with high quality...I have handbrake and it doesn't work on anything I have, tried using it to convert my DVD but the screen is distorted at the end...you are right though, if I can convert the movies on my own, I might think twice about the BB media device..but as of right now, I would rather pay 5.99 for a movie I want that's HQ..jmho.

I see your point, but I still like seeing shootouts of just about anything lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 01:34 AM
    I had a step by step guide on my site, took it down recently though.
    06-12-09 01:50 AM
    If someone published a book: Bold vs. iPhone, it would be a NY Times bestseller overnight for how many people are interested in comparing apples and oranges.
    Apples and Berries, because everyone knows Apples are better than oranges.
    06-12-09 09:40 AM
    Here is what would cement my decision in the Bold, or would cause me to jump ship to iPhone 3GS:

If I miss something (instant message, text, call, calendar reminder) on the Iphone, how do I know without touching the screen every now and then to "verify"? Can I set it to vibrate indefenitely? Can I set it to continually play a tone? Can I set it to turn on the screen and keep it on? If I can do one or several of these, I would probably change unless I get my Bold issues sorted out.

What I love about my Bold is that I just look at the LED and I know "something happened", I am considering buying the program to customize the LED.

What I hate about my Bold is the video playback and the crappy synching with Gmail. I have followed numerous guides and tried several conversion programs and my video never looks even close to the demo speed racer, or close to my iPod Touch. To make things worse most videos tend to sputter by temp pausing and then often video and picture get out of sync. Often times to get through a video it has to be started and stopped several times. Also, I have real lag when fast forwarding. I am not blaming the Bold yet, (maybe my SD card?), but until this gets sorted out, I am still shopping. In regards to Gmail, it is ridiculous that paying $30 a month for BIS I cant use folders, and messages read and even deleted on desktop still have to be viewed on Bold... both of which, my iPod Touch handles perfectly.

Any suggestions or advice that is helpful other than general statements or biases such as "just keep them both" or "be happy with the limitations"?
    06-12-09 09:48 AM
    I can put my video conversion steps back up if you want. I never have any sync issues or anything

06-12-09 10:51 AM
    I got an iPod, a Bold, no need to get this iCrap. Corporate Greed is the real deal here. They are holding back the true capabilities that Apple has, but just releasing them in increments to find suckers to buy the so called "newest technology" when in reality, the true technology was built 2-3 years ago, and they just improve here and there, rather than releasing it all at one time. Total scam.
    People and their ideas of how they should release, build, and advance phones is just crazy.. really. I have a Bold, and iphone 3g ( just upgraded to 3gS) and a nokia e71.. they all do different things for diferent people, all of them are great phones..this new iPhone is going to be MUCH better than the last (hoping), currently I can do things on the iPhone 3g that other phones can only dream about.. 32gb of Ipod, Iphone, navagation, cut copy, voice activated, NIke-ipod control, video taking editing, bliss is on the way in a beautifully crafted all glass screen now with anti fingerpring technology,... and the list goes on.. seriously.. I LOVE the Bold.. but the iPhone 3GS blows it away in every category except a physical keyboard.. I have to go back to watching my slingbox on my iPhone in huge landscape view...
    06-12-09 11:06 AM
    I can put my video conversion steps back up if you want. I never have any sync issues or anything
    That would be awesome Papped! I tried others and i get nowhere lol maybe its because i am running Vista? handbrake seems almost pointless....unless i am using it incorrectly. who knows. But it needs to be detailed man, not too inclined with this whole video conversion ordeal.

I mean im not trying to burn anything or rip off any DVD movies, i personally OWN these dvd's which i purchased and would just like to put some of them on my bold for when i go on a long trip on a plane..
    Last edited by jesse101; 06-12-09 at 11:09 AM.
    06-12-09 11:06 AM
    So my contract with T-Mobile is coming up here in about two weeks. I had my mind made up about the Bold until I heard about the release of 3G S and now I'm not so sure.

I think the biggest thing that is keeping me from making the decision is memory, but I don't know if that's a big enough sticking point to abandon the full keyboard.

Because now, iPhone can do most of the things the Bold can, at about the same speed with more memory. Really, I would say the only thing keeping me from making the decision to iPhone is the keyboard.

Any thoughts, input?
    06-12-09 11:13 AM
    Multitasking.
    Multitasking.
    Multitasking.

06-12-09 11:22 AM
    Let me put it like this...the most advanced phone I've ever owned is a Razor. So when you say multitasking, I guess it just doesn't click. Example?

Also, wouldn't that eat away significantly at the memory?
    06-12-09 11:26 AM
    Example is simple. I have 3 browsers on my bb and open CB, engadget and boy genius at the same time.

That's multitasking.

06-12-09 11:32 AM
    Yeah, but what is the benefit of that as opposed to closing each program and opening the other. I know you can't have them all on the screen at the same time.

You can have several webpages open on the iPhone at the same time, and even after closing it you can open it up to the same pages.
    06-12-09 11:39 AM
    So my contract with T-Mobile is coming up here in about two weeks. I had my mind made up about the Bold until I heard about the release of 3G S and now I'm not so sure.

I think the biggest thing that is keeping me from making the decision is memory, but I don't know if that's a big enough sticking point to abandon the full keyboard.

Because now, iPhone can do most of the things the Bold can, at about the same speed with more memory. Really, I would say the only thing keeping me from making the decision to iPhone is the keyboard.

Any thoughts, input?
    more memory? i thought the new 3GS still isnt as fast as what comes with the bold...at least after i read the specs on the 3GS...its faster than the old 3G, but not the bold from what it seems.

at the price of a 32GB SD card it will have just as much memory, the device memory is more on the bold and processing speed is faster on the bold as well....but again, thats just reading the 2 in comparison. not actually holding the two and comparing them side by side.
    06-12-09 11:56 AM
    more memory? i thought the new 3GS still isnt as fast as what comes with the bold...at least after i read the specs on the 3GS...its faster than the old 3G, but not the bold from what it seems.

at the price of a 32GB SD card it will have just as much memory, the device memory is more on the bold and processing speed is faster on the bold as well....but again, thats just reading the 2 in comparison. not actually holding the two and comparing them side by side.
    The 3G S has 256MB RAM compared to the Bold's 128MB. And yes, the Bold is faster, but just slightly. Not enough to be a deal breaker, IMHO.
    06-12-09 12:02 PM
    Yeah, but what is the benefit of that as opposed to closing each program and opening the other. I know you can't have them all on the screen at the same time.

You can have several webpages open on the iPhone at the same time, and even after closing it you can open it up to the same pages.
    Thats web browsing, the I-phone has always had an excellent browser. But what he is trying to explain is when you open up an application, you can go back to it and it will be started where you left off..

when i use my Itouch, go into an application, close it and start another, i have to start all over again...

my Bold, i can have facebook open, myspace open, click back and forth and wont lose any info...weather bug can be going at the same time, along with google maps, web browser....its really nice. Never thought i would have so much opened at once, but i do.
    06-12-09 12:03 PM
    Thats web browsing, the I-phone has always had an excellent browser. But what he is trying to explain is when you open up an application, you can go back to it and it will be started where you left off..

when i use my Itouch, go into an application, close it and start another, i have to start all over again...

my Bold, i can have facebook open, myspace open, click back and forth and wont lose any info...weather bug can be going at the same time, along with google maps, web browser....its really nice. Never thought i would have so much opened at once, but i do.
    Back to the memory issue, though, does that kill your memory? I hear so much about memory leaks and the like, and I'm wondering if that's just over exaggerated or there truly are problems as far as memory goes.

Personally, I do not want to be forced to do a "battery pull" every day.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being a pest on this thread, but I really do appreciate the responses.
    Last edited by jon.vanderlaan; 06-12-09 at 12:16 PM.
    06-12-09 12:10 PM
159 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD