Does any one know if the BB Bold is UMA capable. Right now I am with AT&T and with the Iphone debacle of not having MMS and tethering cababilities. I would like to take a Bold to T-Mobile and possibly have the best of both worlds if possible, 3G and UMA

Thanks,

P. S. I don't see the Iphone having sustainable tethering capabilities through AT&T in either the near or far future, (I am definite on the near and 95% on the far)
    06-29-09 02:11 PM
    You won't get UMA with the Bold, and no 3G with T-mobile while using the Bold. If you want use of UMA on T-mobile, your best bet is to get a 8900.
    06-29-09 02:15 PM
    What is UMA

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 02:59 PM
    06-29-09 03:02 PM
    unlicensed mobile access- wiki
    06-29-09 03:03 PM
    Does any one know if the BB Bold is UMA capable. Right now I am with AT&T and with the Iphone debacle of not having MMS and tethering cababilities. I would like to take a Bold to T-Mobile and possibly have the best of both worlds if possible, 3G and UMA

Thanks,

P. S. I don't see the Iphone having sustainable tethering capabilities through AT&T in either the near or far future, (I am definite on the near and 95% on the far)

I have a Blackberry Bold for Tmobile, unlocked of course, and UMA will NOT work, however I also have the 8900 Javelin, and UMA works perfectly.
    06-29-09 03:14 PM

Thanks,

I have tethering now on AT&T....jailbreak that puppy and download PDANet on Cydia and your good to go.
    06-29-09 03:14 PM
    So is my Bold using UMA?

06-29-09 03:20 PM
    No At&t doesn't offer UMA
    06-29-09 03:24 PM
    No...your Bold accesses the internet thru wifi, that's it...with Tmo, UMA allows VoIP calling, so as not to chew on cellular minutes...(kind of like vonage or Skype).

To my knowledge, at this point ATT does not have any phones that have that feature...
    06-29-09 03:27 PM
    I have tethering now on AT&T....jailbreak that puppy and download PDANet on Cydia and your good to go.
    It's already broken out of jail. Jay, is PDAnet for the tethering or the UMA function. I'm currently know looking for the UMA ability. If you would please give me the url for PDANet, it would be a help.

Thanks,

FYI, if you didn't already a company called ICALL.com will do VOIP on IPHone.
    06-29-09 03:49 PM
    No...your Bold accesses the internet thru wifi, that's it...with Tmo, UMA allows VoIP calling, so as not to chew on cellular minutes...(kind of like vonage or Skype).

To my knowledge, at this point ATT does not have any phones that have that feature...

FYI, tmotytn;2916922 AT&T recently added the BB8900 to their inventory which is UMA capable. But I think rolling out the UMA capability on its network is the furthest thing from what is left of their minds. First they have to fix the mishaps with the inventory they currently have, to then tackle something new.

Later
    06-29-09 04:05 PM
    So what's the deal with the bold not having UMA capability but the Javelin does? Is it something newer software could address?

06-29-09 09:49 PM
    So what's the deal with the bold not having UMA capability but the Javelin does? Is it something newer software could address?

I heard it was something to do with UMA and 3G not working well together.
    06-30-09 12:15 AM

Good question. I'm looking forward to reading a well explained response on this one!

07-09-09 01:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD