I've got a Bold, but I noticed it doesn't have the Blackberry logo inbewtten the "3G" and the signal indicator. I'm not sure if this is the function of a theme or an OS tweek. I've seen some Bold's with it and some without. Does anybody know? Any other Bld owners notice this?
    08-18-08 08:21 PM
    Are you in an area with 3G?
    08-18-08 11:41 PM
    Yes, I have a 3G icon, but I'm not showing the RIM logo inbetween the 3G icon and the signal meter.
    08-19-08 08:00 AM
    I am starting to think that the blackberry logo comes up when you have hsdpa connection.

When it only shows "3g" you are not on hsdpa.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-19-08 09:02 AM
    Doesn't the BlackBerry logo come up when you are connected to the BlackBerry network?
    08-19-08 10:06 AM
    Doesn't the BlackBerry logo come up when you are connected to the BlackBerry network?
    I am not sure. The getting started guide that comes with the Bold is a little vague about it but when I force the Bold to use 2g for example, I am connected to BES via Edge just fine but there's no Blackberry symbol.

My getting started guide where the Bold's network status icons are explained is not in English. Perhaps someone who has an English version could take a look and clarify.
    08-19-08 10:10 AM
    Mine never came up...Always saw 3G, when I had coverage. Never, ever saw the BB logo in there...I assumed maybe due to lack of data plan or an OS tweak...Glad this was pointed out, because I noticed it a while ago when I would see pics of other devices...
    08-19-08 11:21 AM
    Maybe its a fake! Muahahaha!

08-19-08 11:50 PM
    I don't know if it's fake. If you look at some of the BGR pictures, he has it in his phone, but then others don't.
    08-20-08 06:59 AM
    Doesn't the 'User Guide' have a full definition of all posible screen icons?

They usually do!
    08-20-08 07:07 AM
    Good point. I'll check.
    08-20-08 07:39 AM
    Maybe its a fake! Muahahaha!

What's fake?
    08-20-08 09:48 AM
    Doesn't the 'User Guide' have a full definition of all posible screen icons?

They usually do!
    No they don't - strange though... It would be great if you could help me about that !
    10-16-08 12:11 AM
    I'm 99% sure the BB logo means your connected to the networks data services.

10-16-08 02:27 AM
    I've got a Bold, but I noticed it doesn't have the Blackberry logo inbewtten the "3G" and the signal indicator. I'm not sure if this is the function of a theme or an OS tweek. I've seen some Bold's with it and some without. Does anybody know? Any other Bld owners notice this?
    It is fully explained in the getting started guide page 21

http://images.pinstack.com/themes/im...en_Generic.pdf

With Blackberry Symbol:-

You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages,
    SMS text messages, and MMS messages. You can use the phone and
    send and receive email messages or use the browser with a high-speed
    data connection simultaneously

Without:-

You can use the phone and send and receive SMS text messages
    10-16-08 02:28 AM
    I have the same issue (on MTN South Africa) if there is no BB logo next to the 3G, it means that no BB services are available - PIN, BBM, Email - whenever this happens i switch off mobile network and then back on again and the BB logo returns ...

I think it might just be that my network is not yet fully setup with 3G and BB Data services as the phone is not yet available here ...
    10-16-08 02:35 AM
    It is fully explained in the getting started guide page 21

http://images.pinstack.com/themes/im...en_Generic.pdf

With Blackberry Symbol:-

You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages,
    SMS text messages, and MMS messages. You can use the phone and
    send and receive email messages or use the browser with a high-speed
    data connection simultaneously

Without:-

You can use the phone and send and receive SMS text messages
    Reading usermanuals is stupid. Finding a forum, creating an account and having the answer found for you is much easier

10-16-08 02:49 AM
    It was my understanding that the "3G" with the Blackberry dots beside it was the equivalent of the older Blackberry's EDGE or GPRS in uppercase, indicating that you were connected to your mobile provider's network, able to send and receive calls and text messages, plus all Blackberry services (PIN, Email, Web Browsing through Blackberry APN plus BB Messenger etc)

Whereas, the "3G" on its own, with no dots, indicated that you were connected to your mobile provider's network, able to send and receive calls and texts, and able to access your WAP browser, but unable to use any of the advanced Blackberry functionality.
    10-16-08 04:40 AM
    It was my understanding that the "3G" with the Blackberry dots beside it was the equivalent of the older Blackberry's EDGE or GPRS in uppercase, indicating that you were connected to your mobile provider's network, able to send and receive calls and text messages, plus all Blackberry services (PIN, Email, Web Browsing through Blackberry APN plus BB Messenger etc)

Whereas, the "3G" on its own, with no dots, indicated that you were connected to your mobile provider's network, able to send and receive calls and texts, and able to access your WAP browser, but unable to use any of the advanced Blackberry functionality.
    I don't know I just read the user the guide and go by what it tells me
    10-16-08 04:43 AM
    markuk is right. Allthough... You can do more then just use the phone and send/receive SMS.
    I've bought a Bold in Germany and I'm using my Belgian SIM card with it. I didn't have BIS in the beginning. But when I entered the correct settings from my local provider, I could surf the internet as well. I could check my Gmail, look at football scores, everything.
    I couldn't get any push email to work, so that's why I got myself BIS. And since the day this service was actived, I can see the RIM logo between 3G and the signal strength bars.

Oh yeah, you probably already know this, but if you see 3G (capital), you're connected to the Blackberry services. The same with GPRS (capital). So it doesn't really mather if you see the RIM symbol, I would say... As long as you can get your BIS/BES to work...
    10-16-08 04:52 AM
    Yes I'm not sure what the RIM symbol means because I've been messaging & browsing using BIS even without the symbol on. I've seen the symbol on mine though. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

Regarding BIS/BES, I've confirmed it using Manage Connections > Services Status. Even without the RIM logo BIS shows that I'm connected thru my Mobile Network.
    10-16-08 09:43 AM
    just to add to the debate. my understanding is full 3G (with the bb logo) means you can accept incoming emails while on the phone. infact the original Bold email demonstrates this. i've found it to be ok for me and have heard the audible beep when on a call and an email has come through.

if full 3G drops, the email(s) will only come through once the call has ended.
    10-16-08 09:48 AM
    Funny, I didnt even notice unitl today that my bold had the bb symbol. Thanks for the lesson
    10-16-08 12:55 PM
    Interestingly enough... the Bold tips from Stinsonddog put this matter to rest... here's a screenshot from his Bold tips document which explains it all well:

10-25-08 12:33 AM
    I'm going to get meyself a new sim card today and see if it resolves my problem of losing the BB logo ...

10-25-08 01:58 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD