Do you really intend to sell hand modified lithium ion batteries for a device that is held to the side of ones head? I hope you have a lot of insurance, because when the first one overheats and burns someone you will be cleaned out otherwise.
    12-23-08 10:46 PM
    Do you really intend to sell hand modified lithium ion batteries for a device that is held to the side of ones head? I hope you have a lot of insurance, because when the first one overheats and burns someone you will be cleaned out otherwise.
    Each battery HAS the electrononic circuit board which will prevent it from over loading. They are OEM batteries just "syncing" together and the bold reads it that way. I've had mine now for a week and running beautiful.

Anyways here's some pics of the "close to finish product.
    Last edited by Mosbb; 12-24-08 at 06:06 PM.
    12-24-08 05:48 PM
    I added some leather conditioner to the back to make it look nicer.
    12-24-08 05:49 PM
    It looks like good work, especially for a prototype. Have you considered keeping the 'leather' texture on the final unit? I find it to a be a big part of the 'feel' of the Bold and would be loath to give it up.

I just dont understand why you insist on exposing yourself to the liability of modifying existing batteries. Why not at least use the existing 3500mAh Seidio battery with your 'slimmed down' cover.
    Last edited by bryanharig; 12-24-08 at 11:23 PM.
    12-24-08 11:12 PM
    ahh the age old bb question , more battery life .

i agree with rikter .
    but again it comes down to what you want but for me i like the size of the bold and any bigger might be too big . i will also not open a battery to do some crazy thing just for another 5 hrs of life .
    12-24-08 11:22 PM
    whats the battery life like? Does it really last twice as long?
    12-24-08 11:38 PM
    Bryan, that is exactly what I'm doing. I just told some of the guys at howard forum what I'm doing. I can either put together two OEM batteries or the seidio. AND, I am keeping the OEM leather because iits that cover I'm going to do the work on. So basicly the only thing people have to do is send me their cover and I send them one of these you see in the picture. Of course there will be a price for my work, just don't know how much as of yet. At the end you will have a bold with the extra battery power, which will last WAY more than 5 extra hours, LOL. If your in, PM me and we can continue. Btw, this cover will fit the original case that comes with the bold. You just have to break it in a little. I dont know yet about the 3500 seidio battery as I don't know how thick it is. I'm trying to find out. Thanks.

It looks like good work, especially for a prototype. Have you considered keeping the 'leather' texture on the final unit? I find it to a be a big part of the 'feel' of the Bold and would be loath to give it up.

I just dont understand why you insist on exposing yourself to the liability of modifying existing batteries. Why not at least use the existing 3500mAh Seidio battery with your 'slimmed down' cover.
    12-24-08 11:43 PM
    As it stands I am going to be moving to a 8900 in 1.5 months. Thus I dont think it prudent for me to spend $65 for the Seidio battery + $X for your work and $18 for a new battery door to use in the interim while you modify the original door. So I will not personally be purchasing one.

However, I think your design could be very popular. It preserves the original feel of the Bold and offers maximum battery life for its size.

Bases on the prototype pics you posted the quality of the work looks good. I will follow the thread, if my plans change perhaps I will be one of your customers in the future.
    12-25-08 12:37 AM
    Sounds good. If the battery life is not that good on the 8900 I will be doing this to that model as well. But it might be okay since it does not have 3g. I was also thinking of going to the 8900 till I saw side by side pictures. I would really miss the keyboard/screen size of the bold. What I was not happy with the bold was the battery life. And now that has been fixed. It will out last many phones out there
    12-25-08 08:26 AM
    what happped to the pictureS? I want to see this
    12-25-08 10:45 AM
    Yeah man dont let some people let you down!
    12-25-08 11:14 AM
    Yes, but there's also alot of people who DO mind having to worry where to charge and having to take the power/usb cord with them everywhere. These are the ones I'm offering these solution. And I'm not expecting 2000 people to confirm an order. I simply want to know who might be interested,thats all.

If ONE person says "this is great, I won't mind buying this" the odds are there are many more that will think like he does. Just like with you, you see no point to have this and rather save money. There will be many other people who think like you do. So for every positive post or comment I get on this the chances are that people will like this product. So far most of the posts have been great (thanks guys). The only thing I need to do now is post better pictures. But I'm trying to make it clear that no matter what I do regarding the looks of the battery cover, that is not what I will be selling.

The final cover will be plastic just like the oem but without the pleather. But I can't show that cause it has to be made. I would have to pay for the tooling and than they will run samples.........

So all I'm trying to show now with the cover I have made is how slim it will be having 3000mah battery power. If people like the SLIMNESS (not the looks) than it will go into production. Hope this makes more sense.
    Once you get a set price, let me know. I'll get with you on any questions that come up. Still not sold, but interested.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 11:37 AM
    what happped to the pictureS? I want to see this
    .................................................. .................
    Pictures are on page 2 post #28. I'm not going to stop doing this because of what people say. I know how these things are, you will never get 100% interest or positive comments. I already have people interested in 3 forums so this is available. Just pm me and will give details. Thanks.
    12-25-08 12:24 PM
    whats the battery life like? Does it really last twice as long?
    .................................................. ....................
    For sure you will get double the battery or more if you set your screen to 30-40 brightness. I have mine set now on auto, I get crazy battery life. Feels nice to leave everything on and not worry where your battery meter is at. It also fits the holster, I'm at the gym right now taking a breather. Streaming music via bluetooth headset and posting this stuff on the forums. Been using the bold heavy since this morning from 8:30 to now 12:30 and only ONE bar has gone down on the battery. That's HEAVY use people, not just checking email and responding, that's not heavy use. All I can say is this is really sweat.
    12-25-08 12:34 PM
    For those concerned about putting two batteries together, please read the last section of the link below.

EcoDepot USA - Let us put a little sunshine in your life!

Here's what it says:

Battery Installation and Wiring
    Batteries may be wired in either series or parallel configuration. When a battery is wired in series the positive terminal is wired to the next battery's negative terminal. This increases the voltage while maintaining amperage of the two batteries. With parallel wiring the positive terminal is wired to the next battery's positive terminal. and the negative to the next negative. This arrangement increases amperage while maintaining voltage. One common mistake is to believe that both amperage and voltage will increase when wiring batteries together. It will not; only one value will increase with respect to the arrangement. A battery bank may combine both series and parallel wiring configurations. Series strings of batteries are used to achieve the correct voltage, then a number of these series strings are attached in parallel to increase the amp hours of the total battery bank.
    12-26-08 02:09 PM
    For those concerned about putting two batteries together, please read the last section of the link below.

EcoDepot USA - Let us put a little sunshine in your life!
    Yeah, I've been lurking around this thread. I understand that the series configuration of the LIon batts have already been configured to the proper amperage and all you are doing is then running 2 batteries in paralell. The problem here though is the Voltage side of the equation. The psu (in this case, the battery) is configured to deliver a set current. This will vary depending on phone demand; hence the battery will deplete sooner if amperage flow is higher. What I'm concerned about is something called "dielectric breakdown" which is a function of current AND voltage and the charectoristics of the dielectric material used to manufacture the components used to regulate power. This often goes unnoticed until the point of "avalance voltage" is reached. It is at that point that more bad juju called "cell reversal" is prone to develop. You have doubled the amount of voltage (read electric potential) with no new safeguard in place to prevent "cell reversal". Cell reversal is what causes batteries to heat, burn, explode and maime people. I would say this is most likely to occur during a point of high demand (read as in when you are talking on the phone). I'm not downplaying your work but it seems a bit overly simplified. In the real world, you'd probably burn out the fusable link (which I hope is not damaged by the soldering iron dwelling on the contacts) and lose one of the 2 batteries. This circuit on each of the cell groups was made to be a safeguard and not to be relied upon as an on/off switch. Hopefully it will be the "Piggy-Backed" battery so that the phone does not complety lose power as it would if the first battery in the series-paralell config. Anyway, it looks like you did a good job with the prototyping of the batt. cover. I think that slapping this in your phone would most likely negate any warranty coverage. Just my thoughts as a career electronics technician with over a decade of compenent level repair/fab experience. Keep going, your doing a great job but please do think of adding voltage regulation into the mix before you hurt someone. A really simple circuit can be added. Ohm's law is a simple equation (E=I*R). Wikipedia is a good source to get you going, should you need it. On paper, it looks like you will have to remove the old safety circuits and replace it with one (simplistic approach). On the other hand you can hope that both the cells equalize each other and are stable "enough" to make this work. As demand from one increases, demand from the other should decrease hopefully. Basically, one will charge the other constantly (hopefully). I don't think I'd sell these things without A LOT of observation in various conditions (i.e. on a hot car dash in summertime, etc). BTW, kudos for being inquisitive and working towards a solution. Even if this doesn't work out, you'll be wiser having tackled it.
    Last edited by bigwill5150; 12-26-08 at 03:04 PM.
    12-26-08 02:54 PM
    Ten Charectors
    Last edited by bigwill5150; 12-26-08 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Double post due to "server error".
    12-26-08 03:00 PM
    Thanks Bigwill. The batteries do charge equally and discharge as well. I been using it HEAVY including speaking on the phone,treaming music while on bluetooth and watching movies. The bold and the batteries never get hot. You know if this is a concerm than I won't make for people, those that want it just send me a PM. I'm noy pushing this on anyone.

Here's the new version I have for those that wanted to see it.

Free Image Hosting - xs.to - Image hosting - share images slideshow generator and screen capture tool
    12-26-08 03:20 PM
    12-26-08 03:21 PM
    12-26-08 03:23 PM
    Because this will have to be done by hand its going to be pricey. But well worth it at the end for those wanting great battery life from the bold.

So here's the break down.
    - The work will be done to an OEM battery cover, price $20.00. Or you can send me one.

- To do the work to the battery cover, $12.00 for the first version (where you can see the cut in the middle). $18.00 for the second version ( where its all even and you don't see the cut in the middle).

- Now you need to decide if you want to use the seidio 3500mah battery. 1650mah which we will need 2 of them. Or 2 OEM batteries.

- Also, you can do the soldering to get the two batteries together or send it to me. Price, $8.00.

As you can see its complicated, if you can get past this it will be worth it. If you can't, no problem. Thanks.
    12-26-08 07:59 PM
    That looks incredible!! Count me in, whenever it becomes available I would be more then happy to purchase one. Your hard work is def appreciated!!
    01-07-09 11:02 PM
    Wouldn't you just wanna use this? Comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=gvNCbil0
    Last edited by imoklo38; 01-07-09 at 11:23 PM.
    01-07-09 11:21 PM
    Wouldn't you just wanna use this? Comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=nEyYYjuP

Here is an extended battery on eBay:

Mugen Extended Battery 3600mah
    01-08-09 04:31 PM
    Here is an extended battery on eBay:

Mugen Extended Battery 3600mah
    Yes, BUT, you can't use that in a standard charging "pod"... According to the ad, it increases the phone's thickness by .25 inches; that makes for a pretty thick phone.
    01-09-09 01:23 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD