I travel a lot for work and have Bluetooth on for a good few hours each day to connect to my hands free in the car.

I am finding this to be quite battery intensive.

Other than this issue battery life seems to be OK. Medium use mainly for calls with a few texts and e.mails thrown in.

On Vodafone UK with O/S 296 out of the box and after an 8 hour working day usually have 60% left by the time I get back home, then it's straight on to the charging pod as back to 100% within the hour.

Over a weekend with little use battery loses maybe 10% over 48 hours before a full charge prior to back to work on Monday.

Does leaving the phone on the charging pod once fully charged harm the battery at all ?
    09-08-11 11:28 AM

Does leaving the phone on the charging pod once fully charged harm the battery at all ?
    i think i have seen it somewhere that it does but i dont care because my battery already sucks anyway.
    RobNyc likes this.
    09-08-11 11:48 AM
    .353 seems to be much better on battery. I recommend updating your OS.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    09-08-11 12:01 PM
    No it does not. That is why Bedside Mode was invented. So you can leave it on charge in the pod all night and never worry.

Modern batteries (and modern chargers) are designed to allow the phone to charge until full then trickle charge or "coast" until removed from the charger.

I won't say you can leave the phone on the charger for 6 months straight and guarantee there will be 100% no harmful effects whatsoever... but harm (if any) would be negligible.
    09-08-11 12:07 PM
    As a BB newbie I'm a little reluctant to update to a leaked OS.

Have read elsewhere in this forum from a guy who works for Vodafone that there is a .4 OS in the pipeline from Vodafone UK so will probably wait for this official release as other than when using bluetooth batters life seems OK.
    RobNyc likes this.
    09-08-11 12:14 PM
    09-08-11 12:21 PM
    Bluetooth eats battery. I don't think updating will change that.
    09-08-11 01:00 PM
    Bluetooth eats battery. I don't think updating will change that.
    ALL radio use eats battery. Phone, wifi, GPS, BT, all of it. The more you use, the faster your battery drains.

Bluetooth is NOT a very heavy drain on the battery if the OS is stable. The radio signal only has a range of about 30 feet and does not require that much power. Will it drain your device excessively? No. Will it drain your device more than not using it will? Yes, absolutely. Can the device software configurations in the Bluetooth stack affect how much it drains your battery and how well it performs? You betcher bippy they can. This is why radio performance and battery life vary from build to build. The OP is reporting what he feels to be excessive drain (though I think 60% left after an 8-hour day with BT and voice calls is pretty reasonable on this device). This is why updating the OS might help. Battery life in general has been reported to be much better on .353.
    09-08-11 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD