i just got my blackberry bold 9700 and im coming from the htc hd2. My friend was telling me that i was dumb because blackberry are out of date. what are yall opinion? should i keep?
    06-17-10 09:20 PM
    You should throw it in the trash and get an Iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 09:22 PM
    Many people hate on the BlackBerry saying it is out of date. That is a very uneducated statement. Not everyone is in need of millions of applications, or the ability to add widgets to their home screen. Personally, instant communication is far more important for me, which is why no matter how many times I may stray, I always end up back.

It will be based on your personal needs / preferences, but I would certainly not return the device based on your friends statement.
    06-17-10 09:22 PM
    ^^ i couldnt have said it better, its the same with me, as many times as ive left, ive always came back.

its the ease of doing things, the life of the battery..

theres nothing out of date about it, it may not be a 5 inch touch screen with a slick gui, but its a powerhouse that does what i need it to do when i need it to do it.
    06-17-10 09:26 PM
    Communication isn't instant on other platforms?
    06-17-10 09:27 PM
    Communication isn't instant on other platforms?
    Depending.

Android handles gmail pretty well, near push speeds, but other emails are pull.

iPhone can only handle one "push" style account as well.

BBM = instant and only on BB and yes there are alternatives like gtalk and AIM, but they are not always as convenient.
    06-17-10 09:28 PM
    Its all about personal preference. I don't need all those apps I probably would use once every blue moon. I got all the apps I need youtube app facebook app and twitter. I had a iphone in the past and thought it was so pointless for me personally to have it. Also I'm not a huge fan on touch screens. All I need is a reliable keyboard a good battery life and a few good apps. But everyone is different just sit down and think about how you use your phone. There's nothing wrong with exploring the cell phone market and experimenting with other phones. In the end its up to you, you are the one that has to use the phone on daily basis not your friends. Yes I agree putting the blackberry head to head with adrioid or htc phone they are no doubt out of date but that doesn't mean that blackberry isn't a awsome phone. I will never leave blackberry I've done my experimenting and I have a phone I'm confortable with reguardless of what my friends have or what comes out.

06-17-10 09:33 PM
    communicate-blackberry<--win
    entertain-every other phone

How often am I going to sit and watch a movie on my phone. never
    06-17-10 09:40 PM
    i just got my blackberry bold 9700 and im coming from the htc hd2. My friend was telling me that i was dumb because blackberry are out of date. what are yall opinion? should i keep?
    Dude..

Ignore your friends.
    If you like your Blackberry (Like most of us do here) and it suits your needs, then that's it! End of story! Period! Full stop! You don't have to listen to your friends.

The bottom line is, before you buy a phone (any brand), ask yourself, what do you want/need from your phone? Then do a research.. check which phone is suitable for you. Check the company background, whether it's a good one with good service. Check the general build quality.. Etc. And when you come up with the final options, just look for one you like. Easy isn't it? =)
    06-17-10 09:49 PM
    The one dating thing or downside to the blackberry I have found is the cameras. They have around 3.2MP cameras that aren't that great quality up against many of the android phones with 5MP+. Megapixels(myth) aside from from what I have seen in actual pq by looking at photos taken from both devices the androids win hands down every time..
    06-17-10 11:21 PM
    Old dogs don't like learning new tricks... At least that is my excuse. The BB OS is generally backward consistent. From my first BB about 6 years ago to today, the core remains the same.

I have friends that go through a new phone every 6 months and they spend 2 months learning how to add a contact, or find their calendar...

I probably went through that too, back in the early 90's when Nokia was the bleeding edge of new phones.

I find BB comfortable. The iPhones seem nice, but I'm not with ATT, and I kind of like TMO.
    06-18-10 02:59 AM
    You should throw it in the trash and get an Iphone.

+10 that is all
    06-18-10 03:04 AM
    Depending.

Android handles gmail pretty well, near push speeds, but other emails are pull.

iPhone can only handle one "push" style account as well.

BBM = instant and only on BB and yes there are alternatives like gtalk and AIM, but they are not always as convenient.
    come June 24th this email problem will be fixed don't worry Apple has your back

when it comes to email even the email champs i guess you could say are starting to lag behind with their truncated email system. here how Apple does email Apple - iPhone 4 - Take your mail with you everywhere
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 06-18-10 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Apple iPhone 4 Email link
    06-18-10 03:13 AM
    I didn't see anything in there that my 9700 doesn't already do...

The one dating thing or downside to the blackberry I have found is the cameras. They have around 3.2MP cameras that aren't that great quality up against many of the android phones with 5MP+. Megapixels(myth) aside from from what I have seen in actual pq by looking at photos taken from both devices the androids win hands down every time..
    There was a great writeup today on Ars Technica about cell phone megapixels, light sensitivity, CCD size, and pixel pitch. Of course, it's about the iPhone's new camera, because Ars has a "raging clue" for Apple, but it was informative nonetheless.

Sizing up the iPhone 4 for shutterbugs
    06-18-10 04:23 AM
    [QUOTE=hammerhand;5252593]I didn't see anything in there that my 9700 doesn't already do...

There was a great writeup today on Ars Technica about cell phone megapixels, light sensitivity, CCD size, and pixel pitch. Of course, it's about the iPhone's new camera, because Ars has a "raging clue" for Apple, but it was informative nonetheless.

Sizing up the iPhone 4 for shutterbugs[/QUOTE

Your 9700 truncates email end of story. I was just showing email from the iPhones point of view as opposed to the Blackberry.
    06-18-10 04:35 AM
    Oh, I've never had a truncation issue. At what size does it truncate? My old BlackJack on the other hand... Man, talk about making email a pain. It truncated after the first paragraph/ couple sentences, then almost always failed to download the rest when I told it to.

06-18-10 04:49 AM
    Went to the shop to look at the HTC desire and HD2
    The assistant has the HD2 and the shop had the desire running
    Wanted to search something on the web so we googled my bold with the two HTCs together - My bold not only came up with the results faster but fully rendered the web page faster, my screen was smaller but brighter and clearer than the HTC's and the shop assisstant reported that his battery life (HD2) was terrible - He was so impressed he said he may go back to the Bold - I needless to say will stick with my bold and its rubbish browser.

before the doubters start to chime in

we were both 3g and with the same carrier - T-Mobile.

It does what it says on the tin - no more, no less, and I am thankful for that
    06-18-10 08:42 AM
    WOW that's a really cool story you just told.
    06-18-10 10:34 AM
    Not out of date. Timeless class. I for one am thankful RIM don't launch a new model frequently; if you buy an Android (kid's phone) there'll be a gee-whizzier one out next week. When I became a man I put aside childish things.

06-18-10 11:55 AM
    You rate your manhood off of a smartphone hahahah wow, sounds childish don't ya think , also I think you meant your happy RIM doesn't come out with a new operating system update. RIM releases new Blackberry's pretty frequently.
    06-18-10 12:41 PM
    BB's may not have the latest and greatest, but what it does it does great. Bland and boring (according to some) is a sign that it is dependable, reliable, and functional. people get so used to what works and begin to take for granted that it works and want to try out the new tech (myself included) and then missed what they had.

overall, it's what works for you and your needs. But no not outdated.
    06-18-10 12:43 PM
    RIM releases new Blackberry's pretty frequently.
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. RIM does NOT release new blackberry's frequently. They re-release the SAME blackberry's frequently (with a trackpad and wifi of course!).
    06-18-10 12:48 PM
    overall, it's what works for you and your needs. But no not outdated.
    That's it, plain and simple. People claim they're outdated because of the lower numbers of camera pixels or processor speeds, when in reality the numbers mean absolutely nothing.

For me and my needs, the BB does everything I need it to and does it without all the extra useless flash and bloat of the droid or iphone. Plus, a smartphone without a physical keyboard is the bottom of the heap as far as I'm concerned, as it's a huge functional drawback to me. So while one can say the BB is outdated, I can say the other phones are taking steps backwards by not having physical keyboards. It's all about personal preference.
    06-18-10 01:02 PM
    The 9700 is the best phone on the market for me. You should really try the phones out for yourself and then pick the one that fits you the best.
    06-18-10 01:23 PM
    Wow, I've been writing about that here in the forums for two years. Most people do not understand the whole "megapixel" thing and simply think "bigger is better." Not all MPs are the same and where "bigger IS better" has much to do with the SIZE of the megapixel, not the quantity. My high end professional cameras range from 12.5 MP to 22 MP. On that lower end, many cell cameras are nearing that, but there is simply no comparison between the two.

I didn't see anything in there that my 9700 doesn't already do...

Sizing up the iPhone 4 for shutterbugs
    06-18-10 01:27 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD