Hi all, my first post here despite having read quite a lot on these forums.
    Basically I had my blackberry 9700 stolen yesterday - which has annoyed me to no end especially as I was stupid enough not to have a password on it!
    Anyway, I have used the blackberry app on my mac to 'backup' the data from my blackberry, so my question now is, how to i move the info on my Mac to my new bold that I will get tomorrow or friday.
    I ask because I do not want my contacts etc that it backed up to disappear when I connect a new Bold !!!

I have tried reading everywhere but could not find anything that answers this.

Also does anyone know if I can get themes and apps that i previously bought for my stolen blackberry back or do I have to pay for everything again?

Also anyone know if there is any way at all to remote wipe a blackberry with BIS and not BES>?

Thanks for any help,
    chris
    06-23-10 02:08 PM
    you just need to use the switch option to transfer it all over and/or just apploader to just push your contacts, calendar, etc to the new phone once you have it set up.

I use the free version of smrtguard on my phone so just in case that happens i can still swipe it provided it is still on when i realize its gone.

might I suggest buying addonis to autolock your phone for you ?
    06-23-10 02:14 PM
    Damn dude, password really renders it useless to the thief.

I know that if I ever misplace my phone or it gets stolen, it will be useless to the damn thief after i call bell to report!
    06-23-10 02:25 PM
    Also anyone know if there is any way at all to remote wipe a blackberry with BIS and not BES?
    I have this program installed:
    e-GPS - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

You simply send an email to your phone to wipe it, I've tried it and it works VERY well!
    06-23-10 02:40 PM
    Damn dude, password really renders it useless to the thief.

I know that if I ever misplace my phone or it gets stolen, it will be useless to the damn thief after i call bell to report!
    If the phone has a sim card slot after wiping your phone by typing in the password wrong 10 times unlocking the device so that its able to be used with any carrier they have a new phone period. If the person isnt honest enough to return it they have a brand new phone and its pretty tough for you to do anything about it
    06-23-10 02:52 PM
    If the phone has a sim card slot after wiping your phone by typing in the password wrong 10 times unlocking the device so that its able to be used with any carrier they have a new phone period. If the person isnt honest enough to return it they have a brand new phone and its pretty tough for you to do anything about it
    thats what i thought, unless they were looking for info in ur phone, stealing the phone gives them a new phone period.
    06-23-10 03:40 PM
    thats what i thought, unless they were looking for info in ur phone, stealing the phone gives them a new phone period.
    Free 99... All the way
    06-23-10 03:44 PM
    Free 99... All the way
    whats that?
    06-23-10 03:53 PM
    That means something you dont pay for. LOL
    06-23-10 03:58 PM
    That means something you dont pay for. LOL
    LMAO
    but unless ur some high profile CEO, executive, celeb etc...ur BB is mostly stolen because of the device itself lol...thats why I dont really get why ppl put password on their bb for 'thief' purposes.

I can only see ppl putting password for reasons such as keeping it away from noisy people, storing those explicit photos *wink wink* rofll
    06-23-10 04:02 PM
    Dont carriers Blacklist the EMEI number etc? EMEI is unique to each phone, isnt that what they do?
    06-23-10 04:04 PM
    LMAO
    but unless ur some high profile CEO, executive, celeb etc...ur BB is mostly stolen because of the device itself lol...thats why I dont really get why ppl put password on their bb for 'thief' purposes.

I can only see ppl putting password for reasons such as keeping it away from noisy people, storing those explicit photos *wink wink* rofll
    Yeah I just use my password for nosey ppl.
    06-23-10 04:07 PM
    Dont carriers Blacklist the EMEI number etc? EMEI is unique to each phone, isnt that what they do?
    Yes, it is known for carriers to restrict the IMEI of a stolen phone but once the phone is unlocked and used on a different carrier it is impossible for the new carrier to know that this phone was stolen.

Example. If a stolen 9700 from T-Mobile was unlocked, it can be used on AT&T no problem.
    06-23-10 04:14 PM
    LMAO

Would you want some creep lunatic, serial killer etc to know almost everything about you?

Contact pictures, addresses, emails, work place info, names etc

Pictures of your wife, kids, friends, house, etc

How about your emails, text messages, resume, files etc

Want more? How about memo pad to-do list, schedule, routines, places to be, doctors appointments, web browsing history etc

Theres tons of information I would never want someone who just stole my phone to see.

Everything in my phone, including all media is encrypted, and secure.

Would you hand over your phone to just anyone to see everything in your phone? If you answered no, then why is putting a password a wrong thing to do, when its the right thing to do for privacy.

Its like having your wifi hot spot wide open with no security for anyone to access, you do that?

Ever hear of packet sniffers? Something hackers could do to get banking numbers etc from your connection if it was unsecure to a well equipped knowledge hacker?
    06-23-10 04:16 PM
    Would you want some creep lunatic, serial killer etc to know almost everything about you?

Contact pictures, addresses, emails, work place info, names etc

Pictures of your wife, kids, friends, house, etc

How about your emails, text messages, resume, files etc

Want more? How about memo pad to-do list, schedule, routines, places to be, doctors appointments, web browsing history etc

Theres tons of information I would never want someone who just stole my phone to see.

Everything in my phone, including all media is encrypted, and secure.

Would you hand over your phone to just anyone to see everything in your phone? If you answered no, then why is putting a password a wrong thing to do, when its the right thing to do for privacy.

Its like having your wifi hot spot wide open with no security for anyone to access, you do that?

Ever hear of packet sniffers? Something hackers could do to get banking numbers etc from your connection if it was unsecure to a well equipped knowledge hacker?
    i'm not saying its wrong...sure put a pw if it makes u feel better. But writing all of that, lol ur in way over yourself...what u wrote up there is what i would called paranoid; 'Why a-a-are you paranoid (kanye west)'

Btw, half the stuff u name up there, I dont even have on my bb...& the creeps, the lunatics, stay away from the Hollywood movies.
    06-23-10 04:31 PM
    Now, if you report it stolen wouldn't that render your PIN unusable? I know that with the IMEI there is nothing you can do except report it stolen. This will prevent anyone from activating the phone with that same provider. As far as the PIN, I believe that the person will not be able to use any of the BIS/BES features of the phone, since that PIN is reported lost/stolen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 04:48 PM
    Now, if you report it stolen wouldn't that render your PIN unusable? I know that with the IMEI there is nothing you can do except report it stolen. This will prevent anyone from activating the phone with that same provider. As far as the PIN, I believe that the person will not be able to use any of the BIS/BES features of the phone, since that PIN is reported lost/stolen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    'only prevents from the activating the phone with the same provider'...well then whats the point of even calling then?
    Is this the way of 'sticking it to them' for stealing your phone? This doesnt really benefit or even your side of the playing field either, just saying...
    06-23-10 04:53 PM
    ok first... it would be a good idea to put a PW, yes it may be pointless, as the device is most of the time stolen for the device itself.... but if you do have senstive info in it, ever hear of identity theft? could happen... why take the risk... its easy to put a quick password on it...

and second... if your carrier blacklists the IMEI and PIN, its blacklisted everywhere on that continent... so if my Rogers 9700 is blacklisted, it will not work on ANY carrier in North America (beside phone calls and SMS)... in Europe it MIGHT work... that i do not know... but simple as that, if its blacklisted the BB services are disabled on the RIM servers... RIM doesnt care what network your trying to use it on, it still goes through their servers, thats where the block is... no way to get around a blacklist once its on the list...
    06-23-10 05:15 PM
    He's not the only one concerned about the privacy. Yea, my information may not be relevant to national security, but that doesn't mean I'm fine with anyone else seeing it without my permission. Maybe it's paranoid, maybe it's feeling safe knowing nobody can view your stuff. If it's paranoid then I'm paranoid and fine with that.
    06-23-10 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD