I currently use the Blackberry 9700, previously had the 9000, and before that the 8310. Long time Blackberry fan. With that being said, I'm becoming increasingly aggravated with Blackberry service lately. Here's the scenario: I reply to a message my girlfriend sent through BBM, and I get the red timer icon. Ok, not a biggie. I set the phone down, and walk away for an hour or so... figuring the phone was just doing it's thing and it would get sent sometime soon.

No, it doesn't get sent sometime soon! It just sits there with that damn red timer icon for the next facking hour and it's making me look like a facking ***** because the message never got facking sent. Can you tell that this pisses me off?

Usually when this happens, it's done one of two things: It HAS 3G coverage and it dropped the Blackberry connection (3G icon shows, but with no Blackberry icon), OR it switched to EDGE (with capital letters) and it just sits there taking it's damn precious time with my data.

So, at my wits end, I go into Manage Connections and I select "Turn All Connections Off", and then I select "Restore Connections"... and low and behold, my messages get sent... and I receive 10 emails at once.

Why does this happen? Do you think RIM understands that problems like these have people willing to jump ship immediately when literally any other phone looks like a better alternative these days? Now, I don't know that the Motorola X doesn't suffer from these issues... but you know what? I'm willing to give it a try... because other options at least give me the opportunity of finding something that operates as it should.

So with that being said... I really do not want to switch. I really like Blackberry but I feel these issues are really causing both myself and my girlfriend to want to switch teams.

Last edited by xenigo; 09-01-10 at 04:34 AM.
    09-01-10 03:15 AM
    Have you even given your carrier a call to find out if it's an issue on THEIR end? (Seems most likely the cause, tech support helps)

Have you tried a battery pull?

What is your carrier?

Also, what OS version? 5.0.0.862 is the latest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 04:11 AM
    i never have problems with my BIS disconnecting. the most recent time it did though was because of a local network failure. but in general, BIS stays connected almost all the time. if i have trouble with my internet or BBM, i just reboot or push service books and its fixed. if you want to jump ship, jump. but not all of us are having the same connection/covereage issues. there is usually a valid explanation. for example, spotty coverage area, local network issues/repairs/downtime/glitches. most can be fixed with a simple reboot. no need to ditch the service over it.

also, one of my previous OS's (i forget which one) did have an issue with losing data services sometimes. once i upgraded to .862, havent had an issue.
    09-01-10 04:15 AM
    unless there is a hardware issue.... more often than not, its a carrier based issue..... im on rogers and BIS was down from 10pm to 3 am on a saturday night, rather aggravating but its typically just maintenance or one thing or another. If the problem reoccurs frequently id request a replacement device as BIS is up 99 percent of the time
    09-01-10 04:22 AM
    btw your "jump ship" picture isnt loading anymore. may wanna rehost or remove it.
    09-01-10 04:30 AM
    Perhaps what I failed to make clear is that this is not an intermittent issue that I'm experiencing. I do battery pulls on a regular basis to ensure the phone is running efficiently. Also, I'm not referring to service outages. I'm talking about my handset dropping the BIS connection on a very regular basis. I've had these interruptions in service hundreds of times since receiving my phone about 6 months ago.

These are not intermittent issues.

Carrier is AT&T. OS is 5.0.0.602
    09-01-10 04:32 AM
    Have the network release and re reg your pin. That helped for me when I first got my handset had similar issues, that was back in December.
    09-01-10 04:39 AM
    that and try OS .862
    09-01-10 04:44 AM
    we're sorry to hear your experience..
    but it sounds like an isolated case. you may need to have your device checked if everything is normal with your Carrier.
    and if it's really important.. say a million dollar deal or a message to a Girlfriend that you'll be late...
    SEND it in different ways... BBM and email OR BBM and text msg OR BBM and Call
    09-01-10 04:46 AM
    we're sorry to hear your experience..
    but it sounds like an isolated case. you may need to have your device checked if everything is normal with your Carrier.
    and if it's really important.. say a million dollar deal or a message to a Girlfriend that you'll be late...
    SEND it in different ways... BBM and email OR BBM and text msg OR BBM and Call
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I find it rather odd that I can send an SMS message instantly but the BBM client fails due to not having a BIS connection. That's what I typically resort to. But these are issues that RIM should have ironed out by now.

I guess a better description of my frustration is that if I can turn off all connections through the Connection Manager, and then turn it back on, all while standing in exactly the same place... and have the connection function perfectly afterwards, that is an indication of something quite wrong. I shouldn't have to do that every time I get the red timer icon just to make sure my message goes out immediately.

Red timer is supposed to be an indication of the network not being available, not an indication of your phone not wanting to connect to it.
    Last edited by xenigo; 09-01-10 at 05:00 AM.
    09-01-10 04:51 AM
    I experienced some of the problems the OP has and they all got solved by finding the right OS for my 9700... in this case the .743 (tried more than 4 OS till i got it right). The latest official Os from my carrier is .593 and it sucks big time with poor signal that many times leads the phone to completely loose its signal. So the latest officil OS from your carrier might not be the best one...

IMO, find the right OS for you and the area where you live, and check if there isnt a theme or app installed that is causing all the problems youre having...
    09-01-10 04:54 AM
    what did your network operator say?
    09-01-10 05:09 AM
    Sounds like a carrier issue more than anything.
    09-01-10 05:10 AM
    not a carrier issue

i had this today tryin to send an SMS
    It was in my car out in the plain open with 4 bars after i switched to 3G mode the SMS just went on the red timer
    I turned off connections, switched back to 2G and it sends fine

3G just doesnt work wit sms it seems

09-01-10 05:14 AM
    I don't have any issues sending thru BBM.... That would lead me to believe carrier issue (ATT isn't the most reliable carrier).

If it was a RIM issue, you would have complaints flying all over this website.

All this is IMO

09-01-10 05:21 AM
    i think it would really help the ones with the problems.. and the members who are contributing if the posts will include a city and a state..
    so you'll figure out faster if it's a Carrier issue, a RIM issue or a hardware issue
    09-01-10 05:25 AM
    I currently use the Blackberry 9700, previously had the 9000, and before that the 8310. Long time Blackberry fan. With that being said, I'm becoming increasingly aggravated with Blackberry service lately. Here's the scenario: I reply to a message my girlfriend sent through BBM, and I get the red timer icon. Ok, not a biggie. I set the phone down, and walk away for an hour or so... figuring the phone was just doing it's thing and it would get sent sometime soon.

No, it doesn't get sent sometime soon! It just sits there with that damn red timer icon for the next facking hour and it's making me look like a facking ***** because the message never got facking sent. Can you tell that this pisses me off?

Usually when this happens, it's done one of two things: It HAS 3G coverage and it dropped the Blackberry connection (3G icon shows, but with no Blackberry icon), OR it switched to EDGE (with capital letters) and it just sits there taking it's damn precious time with my data.

So, at my wits end, I go into Manage Connections and I select "Turn All Connections Off", and then I select "Restore Connections"... and low and behold, my messages get sent... and I receive 10 emails at once.

Why does this happen? Do you think RIM understands that problems like these have people willing to jump ship immediately when literally any other phone looks like a better alternative these days? Now, I don't know that the Motorola X doesn't suffer from these issues... but you know what? I'm willing to give it a try... because other options at least give me the opportunity of finding something that operates as it should.

So with that being said... I really do not want to switch. I really like Blackberry but I feel these issues are really causing both myself and my girlfriend to want to switch teams.
    Instead of blaming RIM, try blaming your "facking" coverage or carrier. No one is picking on you so just chill! ALL CARRIERS have a problem on occasion. How old are you?
    09-01-10 05:26 AM
    not a carrier issue

i had this today tryin to send an SMS
    It was in my car out in the plain open with 4 bars after i switched to 3G mode the SMS just went on the red timer
    I turned off connections, switched back to 2G and it sends fine

3G just doesnt work wit sms it seems

Texting has no correlation with having 3G. That's a bit odd.
    09-01-10 05:42 AM
    How old are you?
    09-01-10 06:40 AM
    I know exactly what you mean I am using T-maybe I mean T-mobile but the bis is up 99.3 percent of the time nothing is perfect but it is more reliable than text that's for sure

09-01-10 09:15 PM
    Last night I downloaded the latest .862 and today while I was at work I was unable to receive texts or send texts for two hours even though I had 3G. Each time I attempted to send a text a red X would be there instead and claimed that the retries have exceeded. I finally did a battery pull and that worked. Was that due to a weird OS glitch or my carrier (T-mobile)?

09-02-10 01:27 AM
    this happens to me too. it happens when i'm trying to do anything BIS related as well. random and annoying. i can't stand it. the browser will take years to load a page because it is waiting for a BIS response, and it says "requesting" but clearly it is not uploading nor downloading any data. and doing the network on->off thing will clear it up. it makes me hate BIS more and more, especially since my new job doesn't allow company e-mail outside of its secured devices so my personal BB doesn't work for them. i no longer need push e-mail on my BB, and so with BIS doing this to my data programs all the time it makes me want a non-BIS phone.
    09-02-10 01:54 AM
    I've been having BIS issues as well, and on a full 3g signal. In my case I know it's not the carrier (Verizon) as I can call, text, and browse just fine whether I'm on 3g or WiFi, plus Twitter and BerryWeather work flawlessly. But, email is intermittent and messaging is failing almost completely. I say almost because sometimes I can carry on a conversation for a little bit, and then at random my device goes silent except for Twitter. When I called Verizon they agreed that that was very weird and distressing, and offered to send me a used Droid for a small fee.
    Everything was fine up until about mid-August, my only complaint was the lack of a good browser.
    09-02-10 02:55 AM
    I wanted to give a friendly update to this thread to let you all know of my current status. I switched to the iPhone 4S on launch day, and then to the iPhone 5 on it's launch day. All has been smooth as silk, and intermittent service outages are a thing of the past. My only complaint about iOS is the lack of image time stamps accessible through the phone, and lack of accurate time stamps on text messages, and occasionally the inability of advanced functionality like having access to the file system. It is not as much of a power-user phone as the Blackberry was, but it is hands-down a much more reliable phone that you can count on. If the service is accessible, you can access it without any funny business from the phone itself. And you don't have to monkey around with various OS builds to find one that is stable.

I have had service through AT&T since '98, and have experienced relatively reliable service since then. The fact that all my problems resolved themselves immediately after switching to iOS proves this was not the carrier problem some were suggesting it was.

Reading back on this, I was very frustrated with the Blackberry service. I have no such frustration with iOS, and I'm glad I made the switch.
    08-07-13 08:00 PM
    I doubt you would have any service issues if you jumped on blackberry 10. I suggest giving it a try in a store. Glad you are enjoying the other platform. Frustraition on any platform sucks. Cheers.
    I wanted to give a friendly update to this thread to let you all know of my current status. I switched to the iPhone 4S on launch day, and then to the iPhone 5 on it's launch day. All has been smooth as silk, and intermittent service outages are a thing of the past. My only complaint about iOS is the lack of image time stamps accessible through the phone, and lack of accurate time stamps on text messages, and occasionally the inability of advanced functionality like having access to the file system. It is not as much of a power-user phone as the Blackberry was, but it is hands-down a much more reliable phone that you can count on. If the service is accessible, you can access it without any funny business from the phone itself. And you don't have to monkey around with various OS builds to find one that is stable.I have had service through AT&T since '98, and have experienced relatively reliable service since then. The fact that all my problems resolved themselves immediately after switching to iOS proves this was not the carrier problem some were suggesting it was.Reading back on this, I was very frustrated with the Blackberry service. I have no such frustration with iOS, and I'm glad I made the switch.
    08-07-13 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD