Hi,

Please excuse me if I am a little impatient to want quick answers here rather than having a careful browse through the forum!

Anyhow, I am an long time android user who has just been given an old Blackberry 9780 temporarily after my phone was stolen. As I probably won't be able to buy a replacement in the short term, I guess this is also a welcome opportunity to learn how to use blackberry.

While I think I have a basic grasp, perhaps anyone here could easily help further my understanding.

Two basic questions I have are:

1) Could I use the phone on a standard Pay As You Go plan and be able to access gmail, browser, maps and other non Blackberry specific apps on Wifi or on Mobile data? ( I have no use for BBM) or do I need to pay for some kind of Blackberry data plan (BIS?) ?

2) Is there an app that tracks wifi and mobile internet usage like you see on Android?

I am sure things will start to make sense to even someone Android-centric like me soon enough but thank you in anticipation of your help.
    06-08-14 01:58 PM
    Welcome aboard!!!! Enjoy your stay with us!

You will be able to see data usage on your device, that's not a problem. If I remember correctly it's on board the device, the Device Monitor (it's been a while since I've used a BB7 device.)

You do need to pay for BIS if you want full functionality.

As far as Pay as you Go, I would suggest contacting the carrier.
    06-08-14 02:00 PM
    1) Yes, you definitely need the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). I don't know where you live, but the big carriers offer BIS...sometimes it's free of charge (already included in your data plan) sometimes you pay up to 20 USD per month.

2) There are apps to track your internet usage.

But if you are on BIS you will not have to worry about internet usage, because all traffic is routed through the NOC, which will compress the data very much.

In your device you can check more usage information here: Options > Device > Application Management
    - Just swipe to the right.

By the way, if you click on an app icon here, you can edit the app's permission (Connections, Interactions, User Data...just press the blackberry button and select "expand"; then you can do the fine-tuning).
    06-08-14 07:29 PM
    Some apps work on wi-fi but you will need to test the ones that you want to use. I believe if you get the T-Mobile $50 pay as you go, they include BIS but not on the $30 plan.
    06-09-14 10:54 AM
    Thanks for all your helpful replies.

I am in the UK and the phone seems to work for me needs for now on Wifi only.

One annoying thing I have found is that when i copied my contacts in from the sim card, the phone seems to assign all the numbers to the 'Work' field by default.

Does anyone know how this could be changed eg to default to the Mobile field?
    Manually changing each number one by one in the contacts app is not very appealing.

One again, thanks in anticipation for any assistance.
    06-12-14 05:10 PM
    i think so,Manually changing each number one by one in the contacts app is not very appealing.thank you
    06-23-14 07:01 AM
    I slowly change numbers in the wrong field when i lookup contact information and change it as i open a contact for whatever reason.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:43 PM