Hello

I am new to the forum,

I have an issue with my mobile internet using my blackberry bold 9900.

I have been using my blackberry as a modem "tethering" to access internet on my laptop,

Although this was working fine I can't connect anymore.

When I connected my device I now have a message stating "failure to connect" the serial port is not open"

I read on the blackberry support page that my serial " virtual" ports may have become corrupted or simple are not working and I need to follow these steps : un-installed the virtual ports, reboot my PC, then un - install blackberry desktop software. And re install again.

I tried this yesterday and it worked,

I then went to access internet today and the connection failed due to the same reason.

I did the following once again but to no avail. This time it just wouldn't work.
    I've not downloaded any software, I just don't know why this is happenning.

I'm here asking if someone from the crackberry community can help.

Thanks

Troy -Uk
    05-02-13 01:16 PM
    Is it possible that your carrier changed their policy regarding tethering? I know here in the US many carriers prohibit it and take steps on their end to prevent it from working. Some do allow it. Also I have others coming to help who may have other ideas.
    05-03-13 09:23 AM
    It sounds like you may have malware on your pc that's affecting your virtual serial ports I would suggest running a scan to make sure your computer is free of malware and viruses. If this doesn't work you may need to reinstall windows or do a auto restore of a computer backup if you have this enabled. If nothing works than your pc's ports may be physically damaged
    pkcable likes this.
    05-03-13 09:47 AM
    Another thing to check is hardware related, do you have a spare cable to see if this could be a hardware problem? You my have experienced a bad spot in your cable, then messing with it got you a connection, and further shifting knocked it out again. And you are using the original USB cable, not an aftermarket, I would guess? I've seen this yo be the cause of a bad connection more than once, including my own experience.
    Superfly_FR and pkcable like this.
    05-03-13 09:52 AM
    Hello

I am new to the forum,

I have an issue with my mobile internet using my blackberry bold 9900.

I have been using my blackberry as a modem "tethering" to access internet on my laptop,

Although this was working fine I can't connect anymore.

When I connected my device I now have a message stating "failure to connect" the serial port is not open"

I read on the blackberry support page that my serial " virtual" ports may have become corrupted or simple are not working and I need to follow these steps : un-installed the virtual ports, reboot my PC, then un - install blackberry desktop software. And re install again.

I tried this yesterday and it worked,

I then went to access internet today and the connection failed due to the same reason.

I did the following once again but to no avail. This time it just wouldn't work.
    I've not downloaded any software, I just don't know why this is happenning.

I'm here asking if someone from the crackberry community can help.

Thanks

Troy -Uk
    I understand that you try to connect using tethering via USB cable. If you're urged to connect more than solve the problem AND your laptop has wifi, you might want to use the hotspot capabilities of your BB. Give me a minute to find some how-to, I'll be back.

edit back !
    Setting up Mobile Hotspot on BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com please read carefully and check your OS/carrier compatibility.

BTW: a more complete profile would help us; country/Carrier in particular
    BTW(2) : Even if you succeed to connect via hotspot, I strongly suggest you sort out what happened ... you might have unwanted running things on your lap ...
    BTW(3) My personal sequence for a clean uninstall would be
    1. Uninstall BB Desktop Software
    2. Reboot
    3. Check if the ports are still here (if yes delete them)
    4. Reboot
    5. Re-install a fresh copy of latest BB DS http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-03-13 at 10:49 AM.
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-03-13 10:37 AM