According to theblackberryzone.com , the Onyx is now called Merlin.

BlackBerry 9700(Onyx/9020) is the BlackBerry Merlin? | The BlackBerry Zone
    08-02-09 09:42 PM
    What a horrible name change... Onyx sounds way better. I hope that isn't final
    08-03-09 01:20 PM
    Whats next?

BlackBerry Dumbeldore
    BlackBerry Sorting Hat
    BlackBerry Nearly-Headless-Nick?
    08-03-09 01:22 PM
    the next gen pearl will be codenamed "Guinevere" but a month before its release they will change it to "Lady of the Lake"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 01:33 PM
    this blackberry may sure contain some magic...
    08-03-09 01:44 PM
    This had better be a joke.
    08-03-09 01:49 PM
    Regardless of what it is, I'm getting a custom Coveroo that says Onyx with the BB logo in the O.

You heard it here first as an original design
    08-03-09 02:20 PM
    It's no worse than the Tour! I mean really who's coming up with these names?
    08-03-09 02:29 PM
    I am convinced that they cut up a few pages of the dictonary for kids book , and put thoes pages in a hat , and randomly draw names lol
    08-03-09 06:00 PM
    I remember when the 8900 was codenamed the Javelin.Now that was a great name,better than "Curve II" 8900. However if they want to use a King Arthur theme for the 9700 series I want the Driftwood to be called the Excalibur.
    Last edited by experiment626; 08-03-09 at 07:07 PM.
    08-03-09 06:57 PM
    nyx to the end tell a friend!
    08-03-09 08:00 PM
    "Lady of the Lake"
    Bit long me thinks. I'll short it to LotL. Lol!

08-03-09 08:08 PM
    The latest from theblackberryzone.com is that multiple sources are confirming the name, it will be called Merlin.
    08-03-09 08:49 PM
    Ur kidding me. Merlin? MERLIN? Is this a top of the line phone or a subscription to D&D?

Seriously RIM...if you can't come up with a good nasme for the device then use the code name...Onyx sounds so much better than Merlin...who makes these names? Sounds like something a focus group of kindergarden kids came up with.

Can't wait to see what's next...a 3G Pearl called "Brick"? A clamshell called "folding thing"? Slider called "(handle with) care"?

08-03-09 08:49 PM
    Ur kidding me. Merlin? MERLIN? Is this a top of the line phone or a subscription to D&D?

Seriously RIM...if you can't come up with a good nasme for the device then use the code name...Onyx sounds so much better than Merlin...who makes these names? Sounds like something a focus group of kindergarden kids came up with.

Can't wait to see what's next...a 3G Pearl called "Brick"? A clamshell called "folding thing"? Slider called "(handle with) care"?

While I'm not a big fan of the name Merlin for any device, you need to keep in mind that the name doesn't make the device, the device does. I could care less what the name is so long as it does what I need it to.

Everyone I know still calls the 8900 the Javelin, and I figure the Onyx will be the same. No big deal either way.
    08-03-09 09:06 PM
    May be cuz I am a girl, but this name change totally makes me less interested in the phone!
    08-03-09 09:07 PM
    Dissapointing!! Onyx is way better! Hopefully is not final!
    08-03-09 09:09 PM
    They might aswell hire J. K. Rowling to come up with the rest of the names lol. Maybe they can get her to collaborate with J. R. R. Tolkien too.
    08-03-09 09:35 PM
    I'm hoping the name 'Merlin' is just a joke.

But either way it doesn't matter, they could call it pinkberry and I would still get it. Now that the "official" name of the device is out, is this an indication they are closer to announcing the release date?
    08-03-09 09:37 PM
    I can't believe son many people really care about the name. Just like CX said if it has the specs, who cares, it does what I want it to.
    08-03-09 09:38 PM
    This reminds me of when Nintendo renamed the Revolution to the Wii... A bit of a step backward really...
    08-03-09 10:17 PM
    Thor would be cool.
    08-03-09 10:22 PM
    I can't believe son many people really care about the name. Just like CX said if it has the specs, who cares, it does what I want it to.

I don't believes any "really" cares that much. It's still funny as h*ll.
    08-03-09 10:24 PM
    While I'm not a big fan of the name Merlin for any device, you need to keep in mind that the name doesn't make the device, the device does. I could care less what the name is so long as it does what I need it to.

Everyone I know still calls the 8900 the Javelin, and I figure the Onyx will be the same. No big deal either way.
    I agree that the name doesn't make the device, however, it does make the marketing. I think that RIM would be well served letting the code name stay on the Onyx. The Bold kept its name (I think?) and it fits perfectly. The same goes for the Javelin (Curve II?), KickStart (Pearl Flip?!?), Niagra (Tour?wtf?), and Gemini (Curve 8520...how many Curves are there going to be ). Storm II makes sense, even though Odin would be cooler, because its replacing the first. Unlike the three Curve's that are very different and all being sold currently. Not everyone shopping in the Berry pool is looking at the specs, I know I wasn't when I went for the 8110 last year, and a good name can hook more of these consumers for RIM's products.

08-04-09 04:41 AM
    Whats next?

BlackBerry Dumbeldore
    BlackBerry Sorting Hat
    BlackBerry Nearly-Headless-Nick?
    Haha!

I actually prefer the Merlin name compared to Onyx. Sounds less 'manly' you know what I mean? :P
    08-04-09 04:52 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD