Because I can't seem to find it on mine.
    01-11-09 08:51 PM
    AT&T has in the past (not sure if they do now, I have an unbranded device running on AT&T) blocked the use of BB Maps. Is there something specific in BB maps you want to use, other wise you might try google maps.
    01-11-09 08:53 PM
    I already have google maps but I just wanted to try out BB maps and compare.
    01-11-09 09:00 PM
    By what I understand with the standard theme that is being used it hides it, need to change theme if I remember correctly.
    I will see if I find the post that explains it.
    01-11-09 09:31 PM
    Because I can't seem to find it on mine.
    It is included, but hard to find. Switch from the standard theme and see if there is an icon - on mine, I found it as soon as I switched themes - try to activate it. If that doesn't work, look in the App Loader in DM and look for Blackberry Maps. The app probably won't be checked, so check it and resync. It will come up. I found, though, that it was really sluggish until I switched to the .214 OS. Since then (and 2 OS's later) it's been great.

I have both Google Maps and BBMaps installed and like both - I find that the GPS can find me easier, quicker and more accurately on BBMaps, but I find that I like the interface of Google Maps a bit better.
    01-11-09 09:32 PM
    OK found it, it was another site so I just copied and pasted this
    from the other site.

For any of you that are like me and prefer the BlackBerry Maps to AT&T's Telenav product this may help you out. By default AT&T Bolds do not have BlackBerry Maps and will hide it if you try to add it back in.

Here is how to get BlackBerry Maps back on your beloved Bold:

1. Download the Bold Software from AT&T

2. Install it on your computer and use Desktop Manage to Add/Remove Applications

3. Select BlackBerry Maps to be installed by checking it

4. At this point Maps will be installed, however, it will still no show on your phone due to AT&T hiding it from view.

5. You can show it by using any other theme than AT&T's. I have built a basic theme that mimics the AT&T theme as close as possible that you can download if you don't want to build your own with the CDK.

6. Switch to your alternate theme and Maps will show up as a compass in the main ribbon.

EDIT: I attached some screenshots so you can see what the theme looks like as well as BlackBerry Maps being shown. (Note the background is one of the preloaded ones on the device)

Download it here:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    01-11-09 09:45 PM
    Thanks Knitgrrl. I just happened to be using the DM and found BB maps.
    01-11-09 09:46 PM
    at&t hides it because i think they have a deal with yellowpages which is the default gps app. I deleted it and installed google maps.

gmaps is superior in many ways
    01-11-09 09:49 PM
    at&t hides it because i think they have a deal with yellowpages which is the default gps app. I deleted it and installed google maps.

gmaps is superior in many ways
    Not yellowpages... telenav.

AT&t wants you to use telenav because they charge you $10/month to use that service - it does provide more though from what I understand.

You might also want to try Amaze too.
    01-11-09 09:54 PM
    You can just use the other theme that's preloaded.
    01-11-09 09:56 PM
    Glad I could help, berryberrynice! That's how I found it too, just playing around in DM.
    01-11-09 10:03 PM
    Google is much easier to navagate than the BB product.
    and...their street views are extraordinary!
    01-11-09 10:10 PM
    Well, BB Maps is neither in the DM or on the device when I change themes. Weird.
    01-12-09 10:11 AM
    when you update your OS from .167 to whatever you want, in DM when it prompt for a software update you select advanced. Blackberry Maps is unchecked so just check it and it will install with your upgrade.
    01-12-09 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD