Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has seen a notification for an "update available for Blackberry ID" or something along those lines? I got it yesterday, installed OK, then asked me to Restart Now or Later... I hit Restart Now, and that's the last time my 9900 was functioning!

When I first got this phone, almost 2 years ago (Nov 2011 I think), I went through two phones that bricked themselves overnight while charging. Not sure if it's because I immediately upgraded to a newer OS version on this third one, but I've never had any issues until yesterday.

I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours trying to wipe and reinstall so I can get this thing functional again.

Basically what happens is, I think, a pretty standard "brick" mode - Red LED lights up for a few seconds, screen stays dark, and then the Trackpad outline (and sometimes the Blackberry and Back buttons) light up for a quick second like they do when the device would boot up normally, then goes dark and back to a Red LED.

I've tried uninstalling/restarting/reinstalling Desktop Manager on three different Windows machines, and now on a Mac as well, but the Loader always gets stuck and eventually fails at the "Reconnecting to JVM" stage. I've tried doing this through the Loader.exe app as well as the Desktop Manager's "Repair" function that pops up. I've tried connecting to the device with JL_Cmder, BBSAK and BBH Tool, but none of them can connect to it, battery in or battery out.

I'm going to hopefully find a store that will let me plug a new battery into the device just to try that... The only reason I say that is, occasionally once this thing has reboot-looped maybe 15-20 times, the little Battery Charging/Charged logo (I didn't pay close attention, but it's not the "No Battery" logo anyways) will show up on the screen. I don't ever get an error number or anything though, just constant black screen other than the odd Battery logo.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Anything I haven't tried?
    08-27-13 11:45 PM
    Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has seen a notification for an "update available for Blackberry ID" or something along those lines? I got it yesterday, installed OK, then asked me to Restart Now or Later... I hit Restart Now, and that's the last time my 9900 was functioning!

When I first got this phone, almost 2 years ago (Nov 2011 I think), I went through two phones that bricked themselves overnight while charging. Not sure if it's because I immediately upgraded to a newer OS version on this third one, but I've never had any issues until yesterday.

I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours trying to wipe and reinstall so I can get this thing functional again.

Basically what happens is, I think, a pretty standard "brick" mode - Red LED lights up for a few seconds, screen stays dark, and then the Trackpad outline (and sometimes the Blackberry and Back buttons) light up for a quick second like they do when the device would boot up normally, then goes dark and back to a Red LED.

I've tried uninstalling/restarting/reinstalling Desktop Manager on three different Windows machines, and now on a Mac as well, but the Loader always gets stuck and eventually fails at the "Reconnecting to JVM" stage. I've tried doing this through the Loader.exe app as well as the Desktop Manager's "Repair" function that pops up. I've tried connecting to the device with JL_Cmder, BBSAK and BBH Tool, but none of them can connect to it, battery in or battery out.

I'm going to hopefully find a store that will let me plug a new battery into the device just to try that... The only reason I say that is, occasionally once this thing has reboot-looped maybe 15-20 times, the little Battery Charging/Charged logo (I didn't pay close attention, but it's not the "No Battery" logo anyways) will show up on the screen. I don't ever get an error number or anything though, just constant black screen other than the odd Battery logo.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Anything I haven't tried?
    Damn I'm sorry. I had the bricking 9900s too and my truly bricked ones did not come back. My last one, the one I have now, did come back.

Have you tried this?

How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ckberry-32322/
    08-28-13 05:28 AM
    Yes I got the ID update , yesterday also.
    It worked fine .

Hope you have success in reviving your phone !
    08-28-13 07:15 AM
    Damn I'm sorry. I had the bricking 9900s too and my truly bricked ones did not come back. My last one, the one I have now, did come back.

Have you tried this?

How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ckberry-32322/
    I've read through both of these threads, haven't had any luck with anything...

There's a repair shop nearby that I spoke to yesterday, they apparently have some RIM-issued software that is apparently more powerful/capable than the Consumer software (DM) and "might" be able to fix it (won't charge me if they can't)... Anyone have any idea what that might be and if it's a realistic option?
    08-28-13 08:08 AM
    I received the same message that says "BlackBerry ID Update Available". It shows a different type of BB icon beside the message on my phone. When I go to the App World, it shows that there are no updates available. I'm pretty suspicious about this update, because it's not in my App World. I'm not going to do it.
    08-28-13 11:05 AM
    Its fine - BBID updates are pushed separate to app world.
    08-28-13 11:39 AM
    I received the same message that says "BlackBerry ID Update Available". It shows a different type of BB icon beside the message on my phone. When I go to the App World, it shows that there are no updates available. I'm pretty suspicious about this update, because it's not in my App World. I'm not going to do it.
    I know a few other people who got it within a few hours of me, so it does seem like a legitimate RIM-pushed update, probably just a coincidence.
    08-28-13 02:09 PM
    I received it yesterday but haven’t install it yet, too paranoid to do so now.
    08-28-13 06:43 PM
    Yes I got the ID update , yesterday also.
    It worked fine .

Hope you have success in reviving your phone !

What is the benefit of the update?
    goodayeh likes this.
    08-28-13 06:46 PM
    Haven't noticed anything.
    Don't install if you 're unsure.
    MontoyaOscar84 likes this.
    08-28-13 07:42 PM
    The little cell phone repair place I took my phone to tried to reinstall the OS with no luck, then checked for obvious calcification (I got a little bit of water on/in it about 6mths ago), so they cleaned that out, which still didn't change anything. Now they have one last thought, that the internal batteries may have shorted out somehow, so they're going to try and replace those in the morning and see if that accomplishes anything. I'll keep everyone posted, but apparently these 9900's have been known to have the internal batteries short out so it'll be interesting to see.
    08-28-13 08:56 PM
    I suspect it has something to do with upcoming BBM changes and the opening up of BBM/BBID to non BB users.
    08-29-13 11:42 AM