Hello all,

I bought my Bold recently and love its design. My issue is on the signal strength indicator, beside 3G there is a Blackberry icon indicating data connectivity. It disapears from time to time and then i dont get email or BBM messages. I tried to go to the Blackberry support forums and they werent able to help.

Has anyone else encountered this or resolved this? The only way i can get BBM and data again is to go to my connections and deselect and select connect to network. My carrier doesnt seem to have it listed as a known issue, and i cant find anything about it on the web. My Carrier is Telus in Canada, and recently they switched to a full HSDPA network, and i have my connection set to automatic with 3G & 2G selected. Im would have thought that i would still get a data connection as i am in Vancouver.

*Update*

It continues, and i spoke to my carriers network assusrance group. They removed and re-added the Data plan, resent service books and asked me to do a battery pull. Still happening. I checked my service status in the mobile connections and it says that the "Blackberry Internet Service : Not connected" when i encounter this. When this happens, i dont get access to email, BBM or Internet.

Im lost for the reason. It still shows a full signal when it happens, and i cant quite understand why it stays off until i reregister or disconnect/connect the network. Would changing the SIM card have any effect?

Any thoughts....?
    12-08-09 12:54 PM
    ...are you sure you're not roaming, i.e. your device is not roaming? To confirm this, turn off roaming and see what happens.
    12-08-09 12:58 PM
    Hello,
    thanks for the response, I just tried it and didnt work. I still seem to lose connection. Am I the only one to have mentioned this type of issue? Im either thinking hardware failure or something i have to reinstall.
    Last edited by Frenziiman; 12-08-09 at 01:26 PM.
    12-08-09 01:05 PM
    My BIS was offline for about 30minutes last night but everything is fine now.
    12-08-09 02:39 PM
    Not seeing the 3G lose the data link like that, BUT I'm seeing network-like failures playing both Pandora and Slacker radio. Pandora is either slow to start but plays (rare these past few days) or gives network errors (most common). Slacker just sits at "Buffering..." forever. Surfing works okay, getting email fine. Full reboot made no difference.

Hmm, SSH fails too (midpssh) which used to work fine. "Peer refused the connection" -- except that my server has no log entry showing it even received a connection attempt. 2nd SSH test... gets an initial "OK" but then hangs on SSH protocol negotiation, times out. 3rd test, very slow, but connects.

Looks like they're still having some kind of network issue. (My guess would be inside RIM, since all the data traffic routes through them.)
    12-08-09 03:36 PM
    I am not having this issue there for I would question the phone itself
    12-08-09 03:45 PM
    My next step with this is to replace the handset, as when it drops, it doesnt come back. I searched the web for other instances of this but doesnt seem to be a big report or issue.
    12-08-09 05:15 PM
    does it go away for a while after a battery pull????
    12-08-09 05:21 PM
    yes it does, everytime i do a batt pull
    12-08-09 05:49 PM
    had this problem with some OS's too. Especially since I go in and out of service going to my car. Seemed to upset the radio. If you're in your warrany period, I'd try a new unit first.
    12-08-09 06:06 PM
    Im gonna try a new SIM card as well when the replacement arrives, might as well do a complete replacement.
    12-08-09 06:16 PM
    Yep. Just posted about this yesterday. Exact same thing happened to me last weekend. On the phone with T-Mobile yesterday who sent me to RIM who tried to help me for 2 hours and then sent me back to Tmobile to get me a new unit. RIM has no knowledge about it. They had me put my sim card in my old 8900 and the Blackberry service was on it right away. When it's gone from your 9700, it's gone forever. No battery pull, service book resending, host routing table registration will bring it back. My 9700 still showing 3G, but no BIS anymore, out of the blue. It's crazy. Wonder if this will be a widespread issue.
    12-08-09 09:00 PM
    I got a similar thing, whenever i restart my phone i got 3G connection and the bb icon is there, but after a few seconds my internet connection drops to GPRS and the bb icon is gone, but i still have acces to BBM and stuff?!
    12-09-09 05:10 AM
    I've noticed that sometimes if I resend service books with this device I will not get messages until I go to advanced options>host routing table>register now.I'm also having an issue with the colored yahoo mail icon disappearing.I'm thinking this might be more a os issue.
    12-09-09 06:54 AM
    I wonder if it can have anything to do with the BIS server we are on.
    12-09-09 12:08 PM
    I just received my new device and it is doing the same thing. I also ran a diagnostic and in the network it says unknown. Even though i am on the new HSPA network with telus. Also when i lose my data connection it says my deviced isnt registered with blackberry.
    This is getting frustrating.
    12-13-09 01:24 AM
    Hi all

i am facing the very same thing, but a fost reboot do solve it, it is frustrating, my handheld is only a few days old and BBM msgs plus all data connections disappears (plus the BB icon), i am hoping it's a but that will go away with a patch or something, let me know if you guys find a solution to this please

regards
    12-14-09 01:44 AM
    Seems to be happening in the same location, in the middle of the night, when i wake up, it shows only 3G.:

Anyone know if its a tech issue like a misaligned tower or defective?
    12-14-09 05:46 PM
    I read on another forum that a replacement SIM card fixed someones problem. I just got back from the Bell store with a new SIM and I'll see how that goes. My network diagnostic still says "unknown" and I'd be interested to hear from other Bell Users with a 9700 that don't have this problem what theirs say.

I went all the way to level 3 support today and the next step was a new device but my own opinion is that this is network issue. I've also tried a variety of OS's with the same result.
    12-14-09 05:55 PM
    I replaced my device and SIM already when they suggested that, all it did was bring me back to step one. (No improvement)
    12-14-09 06:02 PM
    From my experience it comes when u use Wi-Fi then the BIS switch to WIFI connection. After you disable the WIFI the BIS signal will lost, I noticed this with all Bold 9700 5.0.0.xxx OS.
    Last edited by nutekl; 12-14-09 at 08:31 PM.
    12-14-09 07:02 PM
    Well my new SIM card has been in and activated for the past 16 hrs and so far I didn't have any problems. All of my emails are coming in as soon as they hit the server and it's behaving like a normal Blackberry again. Fingers crossed.
    12-15-09 08:32 AM
    Disappearing symbol haPpened a lot to me on 415 hasn't happened on 421,
    The weird thing is I could still access bis without the symbol
    On Rogers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 12-15-09 at 08:43 AM.
    12-15-09 08:41 AM
    I also had this problem on Tmo. I never got it resolved. I just chg my mobile network settings to 2G Only and have WIFI enable. Plus with the 3G on it was always loosing connections, switching between UMA and EDGE, causing my battery to drain fast.
    12-15-09 08:54 AM
    I ended up calling my network assurance team with my provider, they again have no idea what to do, and apparently no reports of this issue. I had them create a trouble ticket, but it has yet to be resolved.

agault - any change? you still able to work flawlessly?
    Last edited by Frenziiman; 12-15-09 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Also does your network still say UNKNOWN?
    12-15-09 02:25 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD