I'm just wondering how secure the information I send through my BB. I mean, is it hacker proof? How safe and secure is the stuff I say on my BBM?

Aaaannd, I know that Obama has a Blackberry as well. Do you think he's on his own secure network for his phone, or is he just on a normal phone provider?

I'm curious...

Q4L

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 10:04 PM
    1. No device is hacker "proof". IMO the BB is the best on the market in that area though.

2. Anyone who claims to answer this one is full of crap, or risking termination/prison. Information about communications at that level of government is classified.
    Last edited by gbhil; 08-29-09 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo
    08-29-09 10:07 PM
    1. No device is hacker "proof". IMO the BB is the best on the market in that area though.

2. Anyone who claims to answer this one is full of crap, or risking termination/prison. Information about communications at that level of government is classified.
    I would agree Nothing is hacker proof not even the Pentagon they just don't make it easy and you most likely will get caught and prob end up at GETMO
    08-29-09 10:16 PM
    There's no such thing as 100 percent security, and anyone who tells you otherwise isn't being honest.
    08-29-09 10:20 PM
    LOL

Uh no.

08-29-09 10:23 PM
    I don't care that Obama has a BB or any other celeb for that matter.

Nothing is anything proof. With enough time, someone with the skills, motive, and time can get into anything they want. It may take theoretically 500 years, but it's still possible.

08-29-09 11:27 PM
    why is this an issue to the average Joe? Who's cellphone in here is a matter of national security?
    08-29-09 11:49 PM
    why is this an issue to the average Joe? Who's cellphone in here is a matter of national security?
    You'd be amazed who is hiding behind these usernames...

08-29-09 11:53 PM

I believe Obama has his own private/secure network. There I said it, now come take me to jail
    08-30-09 05:51 AM
    Obama's on T-Mobile.

08-30-09 05:57 AM
    1.Nothing is fully secure but at the moment RIM's encryption is the best

2. Communication at that level of gov't is not CLASSIFIED, it is actually TOP SECRET, classified<secret<top secret< something only a few people ever had access to<area 51 lol

3. Obama is on T-Mobile

08-30-09 11:03 AM
    Obama isn't on T-Mobile by the way....Use google and you will find out some scary things about what service Obama is using....here's a clue it can travel where ever he goes. Nothing further!

08-30-09 11:14 AM
    Here's another question...
    If someone is working at my cell phone provider, just by having my cell number, can they go into and find the details of my text messages, bbms, emails, etc??

08-30-09 12:26 PM
    Obama isn't on T-Mobile by the way....
    Just to clear a few things up for all my fellow citizens, i DO use T-Mobile
    Thank You, Have a Great Day
    08-30-09 12:34 PM
    If someone is working at my cell phone provider, just by having my cell number, can they go into and find the details of my text messages, bbms, emails, etc??

Yes we can...thats what the Patriot Act was for. Especially if your on AT&T, they record EVERYTHING except for BBM and PIN messages as those use RIM's servers and nothing else, but they will hand over what ever we ask for.
    08-30-09 12:37 PM
    Mine. Oops! Did I say that out loud?
    08-30-09 12:41 PM
    Mine. Oops! Did I say that out loud?
    yep you did. lol que the men in blue jackets and dark sunglasses to come and take you away
    08-30-09 02:05 PM

Carriers can't read your BBMs/e-mails. They're transmitted with military grade encryption to RIM's servers at their Waterloo headquarters. RIM claims to be unable to read PIN messages (including BBM), or anything going to a BES, and outside audits confirm this. I wouldn't be surprised though if there was a way to read PIN messages with a warrant (BES is end-to-end encryption, even with a warrant they're not reading it). Because e-mail is generally transmitted in the clear between the BIS server and your e-mail provider it would be possible for that to be intercepted if you're on BIS, though that would be illegal.

SMS is a different matter, that's handled by your carrier (Rogers according to your profile). People in a Rogers call center can't read SMS. With a warrant it's probably possible, but it would almost certainly be illegal without one.

As for your hacker-proof comment. Nothing is hacker proof, but a BlackBerry is as close as you can get with consumer hardware. You're probably better off with BBM than with PGP e-mail. PGP will be secure in transmission, but compromising the computer on either end would be fairly easy.
    Last edited by taylortbb; 08-30-09 at 02:43 PM.
    08-30-09 02:37 PM
    Thanks taylortbb. Awesome post.
    08-30-09 04:01 PM
    the iphone does not fit this description. enough said.
    08-30-09 06:18 PM
    Just to clear a few things up for all my fellow citizens, i DO use T-Mobile
    Thank You, Have a Great Day
    I would have said Boost Mobile.
    08-30-09 06:25 PM
    Boost? That's not President-grade service.

08-30-09 06:32 PM
    Wow it surprises me anyone anywhere would ask if anything is hacker proof. Isn't the total purpose of a hacker to acess the secure. There are so many super intelligent people on this site I feel sure if they had the will they wouls find the way

08-30-09 06:44 PM
    Boost? That's not President-grade service.

You missed the joke.
    08-30-09 07:30 PM
    Obama has NSA level encryption on his device. His BlackBerry runs through RIMs servers just like any other. His other device, on the other hand, runs on CDMA/GSM as well as SatCom. Do a google search for the Sectera Edge from General Dynamics.
    08-30-09 07:32 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD