I live in Europe (Germany) and have / love my BB Bold. Problem is, I"m getting frustrated that too many app's are not supported in Europe (BB App store, Slacker radio, twitter, Etc...)
    Isn't the BB a world wide business phone?
    Anyone have any suggestions on how I can have access to all the great apps?
    If not, I think I will jump on the next iphone release.
    05-31-09 02:33 AM
    Just a wild guess - set your language/country to USA, UK, etc and try it all out again. Probably will work just fine then.
    05-31-09 03:10 AM
    Just a wild guess - set your language/country to USA, UK, etc and try it all out again. Probably will work just fine then.
    hey crnz. you able to download app world by changing the language?
    05-31-09 03:20 AM
    No, I believe that when connecting to a BB server (check your connections and diagnostic tools to see) you'll see it's connecting to a EURO server. It shouldn't make a difference, but the App World hasn't bee nreleased to the world, only to England and the USA. (lame). and there are apps that don't work outside of the US because the app programmers don't allow it. Soooo.... yeah.

The BB is a messaging phone, it works great in any part of the world. You have a problem with the 3rd party apps now that's a different story.
    05-31-09 06:18 AM
    I live in Europe (Germany) and have / love my BB Bold. Problem is, I"m getting frustrated that too many app's are not supported in Europe (BB App store, Slacker radio, twitter, Etc...)
    Isn't the BB a world wide business phone?
    Anyone have any suggestions on how I can have access to all the great apps?
    If not, I think I will jump on the next iphone release.
    Twitter works for me in UK, and I have to guess its not language because other euro users would be screaming more often. Suspect a settings issue, broken software, or it is getting blocked by your network provider.

Slacker and many other media streaming apps are restricted to North America due to content license and copyright issues, and royalty payment disputes. This is controlled by the streaming originator, usually based on IP address. There is no fix, and iPhone will hit the same restrictions.

The App Store application is only recently rolled out, and so far IIRC it has support servers for US, Canada, and I think now UK. If RIM sees enough demand they may add other areas but anything like this takes time particularly if a language translation is required.

Next... ?
    05-31-09 08:24 AM
    Thanks to all for the replies, recommendations. It is just frustrating that a great phone like to BB Bold has what seems to be numerous restrictions (only because I"m in Europe).
    I recently took my Bold to the States, same problem with not being able to use the BB App store (Wanted Shazam app). Somehow they know it is a European phone.
    Again, thanks to all.
    05-31-09 02:01 PM
    ... Bold ... Shazam app
    If you would like Shazam for your Bold you can download it over the air using your handset browser from here:

http://smartworld.shazamid.com/appli.../Shazam460.jad
    06-01-09 03:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD