I thought I was smart encrypting my files, but I couldn't remember the password and now my blackberry bold is nuking my files?! I don't know what to do. It's vital I keep my files intact for work. What will happen?
    05-09-20 04:55 PM
    I thought I was smart encrypting my files, but I couldn't remember the password and now my blackberry bold is nuking my files?! I don't know what to do. It's vital I keep my files intact for work. What will happen?
    So you typed your password in 10 times incorrectly and then the phone started to wipe?
    05-09-20 05:17 PM
    So you typed your password in 10 times incorrectly and then the phone started to wipe?
    Correct, I was sure I remembered my password but I apparently did not.
    05-09-20 05:20 PM
    Correct, I was sure I remembered my password but I apparently did not.
    Well then, you're toast. Unless you made a backup lately.

Also, BlackBerry Protect will backup the following automatically if enabled:
    05-09-20 05:21 PM
    I have my contacts, music, and pictures on BB Desktop, but since outlook couldn't sync - I'm worried about my memos and tasks being gone. I didn't realize it would self-destruct like this as a consequence. In the future, I'll keep a hard copy if I need to decrypt, but I have to deal with this fallout now.
    05-09-20 05:22 PM
    I have my contacts, music, and pictures on BB Desktop, but since outlook couldn't sync - I'm worried about my memos and tasks being gone. I didn't realize it would self-destruct like this as a consequence. In the future, I'll keep a hard copy if I need to decrypt, but I have to deal with this fallout now.
    See my added note above regarding BlackBerry Protect.
    05-09-20 05:26 PM
    When using encryption, knowing your password is absolutely essential. As you have learned, those 10 tries are all you get - period. This is why unencrypted backups are essential for any data you carry on your device.
    05-10-20 07:29 PM
    Troy and I will disagree on this. but I'm a huge fan of encryption and believe ALL data should be encrypted both in transit and at rest.

But using encryption requires a robust password management system. I recommend the following practice:

1) Choose a reputable Password Manager secured with a strong "six dice" pass phrase.

2) Memorize the pass phrase, but also record a hard copy and keep one copy secured at home and another in a sealed envelope in a safe deposit box or at another secure off site location. Share the existence of this envelope with your lawyer, partner or a trusted friend. If you die or become incapacitated, this is how someone else will be able to recover your data.

3) Save ALL credentials and security information in your password manager, and save an encrypted copy of the password file both locally and in a secure, off site location.

4) Use multi-factor authentication but be sure to also save your "one-time passwords" for each service in your password manager, in case you lose your second factor device, such as your phone.

5) backup all data regularly to on and off-site locations. I keep all my data on a local storage device in my network, backed up to a secure, encrypted cloud location, with monthly "deep" backup archives in a third location, which I expect to never need, but which lets me sleep at night.

Doing all of the above requires an initial effort to set it all up and make it habitual, but doing so will protect you and your data from loss and compromise.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    05-10-20 07:54 PM