Anyone experience this yet?

When inputting a birthday into your contacts, an all day event is automatically created in your calendar. Does anyone know why the event starts at 8:00pm from the PREVIOUS day of the birthday.

IE: Birthday Jan 1st, event shows from Dec 31 8:00pm.

Secondly, why is it shown as an all day event? A few of the recent birthdays that occurred within the last week, on a whim I changed to start from 12:00am of the actual date. I was running 4.6.0.143.

I upgraded to 4.6.0.147 last night, and I checked my calendar. The recent birthdays that I did change, no longer became all day events, but rather they turned into background highlights for the whole day, which I PREFER. Yet, the upcoming birthdays that I didn't bother to adjust, still remained as all day events, not background highlighted, and still from 8:00pm the previous day.

Does anyone know why this is or how to fix? I want to have the birthdays start on 12am the day off, and not be listed as an all day event, rather a background highlight. This is of course on my BB Bold calendar.
    09-13-08 11:10 AM
    Honestly, I've always gotten this and I always thought it was a user error and me being a moron for entering it wrong or something, I'm so glad to learn it's not just me!
    09-13-08 11:12 AM
    You have to set in your BlackBerry calendar options that a "day" is from 12:00 AM-11:59 PM, and you shouldn't have a problem when you click "all day event." However, if I ever accidentally sync Outlook with my phone over USB (I have a BES) it screws up all of my all day events and changes them to 8PM-8PM like you are saying.

Anyway try setting that option and see if it helps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 02:56 PM
    When you're setting the options for a day starting and ending you can change the minutes? Mine only goes by a half hour at a time. I've changed mind to start at 12am and go until 12am!
    09-13-08 03:36 PM
    Ah I'm sorry That is what I had mine set at. Did you have that set before this issue arose? Or did you just set it for that now?
    09-14-08 12:02 AM
    Nice. The problem I had with the previous day issues with the birthdays was fixed with the 147 upgrade. Now if only google calendar will allow multiple calendars on the bb to sync and vice versa.
    09-14-08 03:06 PM
    When inputting the birthday in contacts, is there a way to set an alarm reminder?

I usually put birthdays in the calendar as a recurring annual appointment at 9am the day of ... i'd much rather do it through contacts, but i havent found an alarm settng.
    09-15-08 02:25 AM
    When inputting the birthday in contacts, is there a way to set an alarm reminder?

I usually put birthdays in the calendar as a recurring annual appointment at 9am the day of ... i'd much rather do it through contacts, but i havent found an alarm settng.
    When you add the calendar event, you scroll down to Reminder - select when you wish to be reminded (weeks, days or minutes) and then select the recurrence whether its weekly, daily, monthly, yearly.

The default for all this is usually "none" but this can be changed if you click Options when in the calendar mode. You can change, your start day, end day, initial views and reminders/alarms (and tones) from there.

Hope that helps.
    09-15-08 11:42 AM
    When you add the calendar event, you scroll down to Reminder - select when you wish to be reminded (weeks, days or minutes) and then select the recurrence whether its weekly, daily, monthly, yearly.

The default for all this is usually "none" but this can be changed if you click Options when in the calendar mode. You can change, your start day, end day, initial views and reminders/alarms (and tones) from there.

Hope that helps.
    This i Know ...

What i mean is, if i add the bithday info to a persons contact details, there is no way to set a reminder for that day (within contacts) ...
    09-16-08 03:14 AM
    The 8 hour shift of birthdays has to do with timezones. I am living in Europe (GMT+1) and all my birthdays (all day events) started at 1am and ended on 1am the next day. So if you live in another timezone you might end up with those funny birthdays starting at 8pm.

I corrected all the birthdays manually. I havent tested .147, I am still on .126, so I can't tell if everything is ok after the upgrade.
    09-16-08 05:41 AM
    I have Google Calendar Sync on my desktop to sync my work calendar (so my wife can see when I'm planning trips etc and doesn't need to ask etc) then Google Sync on my private Bold and work Pearl. In this way all my calendars stay up to date, but to get it to work nicely I delete the calendar service book entries on my Bold, otherwise it won't let me open items from my work Exchange account.

Word of note regarding the terrible way Outlook manages and creates birthday and anniversary entries: start editing contacts and with each save it creates another calendar entry!

09-16-08 08:31 AM
    The 8 hour shift of birthdays has to do with timezones. I am living in Europe (GMT+1) and all my birthdays (all day events) started at 1am and ended on 1am the next day. So if you live in another timezone you might end up with those funny birthdays starting at 8pm.

I corrected all the birthdays manually. I havent tested .147, I am still on .126, so I can't tell if everything is ok after the upgrade.
    is there anyway to put it automatically?
    08-02-09 06:53 AM
    I know this is an old thread but I have one of the same issues as the OP.

ALL of my birthdays in my BB are under the contact info and therefore automatically added to my calendar. However, it seems like some are "All Day Events" and some aren't. This changes the way they appear in my Monthly View Calendar. Some are just bold dates (All Day Events) and some have just the long black vertical line to the left of the date. This can sometimes be confusing.

Is there a reason why the birthdays are appearing differently and anything I can do about it besides editing each one manually?
    08-11-09 10:53 AM
    I recently transferred data from a Verizon 8330 Curve to an unlocked 8310 Curve (I am living overseas now).

The birthday and anniversary fields are missing from my contacts now. Reminders still show up as recurring appointments in my BlackBerry's calendar, but this isn't as helpful. First of all, I can't see the age or number anniversary anymore. Secondly, it makes creating a new one much more of a hassle.

I checked with Outlook, and it's not because those fields don't exist there. They do, but they are not transfering over into my BlackBerry address book.

I have some available custom fields in my contacts. I tried setting two as "birthday" and "anniversary," but it didn't open up a sync with the calendar app. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    08-19-09 01:38 PM
    As far as the time shifting, does NOT restoring your data until you set the timezone in the setup (following an upgrade or wipe and reload) cure the issue?

08-19-09 07:21 PM
    I just updated my bold to .297 last night, and all my birthdays (including my sons) now start at 4am instead of at midnight and I have my day starting at 00:00 and ending at 23:59 hmmm I'm confused lol
    08-26-09 01:40 PM
    has this been resolved or has anyone found a resolution to this issue? i recently did an upgrade and it changed all the birthdays. it might be a minor thing, but all my birthdays start between 6:00-7:00 am and carries through the next day (although the next day is not in bold). did someone find a fix to make the birthdays go back on the top rather than start mid-day or whatever???
    10-03-09 03:10 AM
    I am still not understanding. So I have to do something different on my BB than I do in Outlook so that the recurrence will show on one day? I have never had this issue with other phones I have had in the past. If I set something up in Outlook then sync my phone, it looks just like it did in Outlook.
    10-18-09 09:33 PM
    If you time zone settings are the same for both devices, the birthdays should show up just fine.
    10-19-09 07:45 AM
    Even if the time zone is the same in both Outlook and the Blackberry it does not correct the problem.
    I have tried a number of things, reset, new OS, restoring and when I sync all of the birthdays end up showing up on my BB starting the night before 2 hours earlier. I have had this problem for sometime now without any resolution.

Does anyone know if this is related to the DST patch that was sent out in 2007? I tried to load this and it didn't allow me to do this.

I find it funny that so many people have this same problem and I can't find a solution anywhere that is clear and works. Everyone seems to be guessing as to what the solution is.

Cheers
    Shawn
    11-17-09 02:43 AM
    If you look at an entry on bot the BB and in Outlook, are they both showing the same time zone. Are both the BB and Outlook default to the same time zone? (AKA Are all 4 time zones matching?)
    11-17-09 07:58 AM
    I have this very problem every time I run a software update. All of my annual calendar events change to GMT time. It appears that the sequence of events when an update runs is not in the proper order. Data on the blackberry is backed up, the software updates are applied and the data is restored to the device. Unfortunately the previously backed up calendar data is restored BEFORE the time zone preferences are reset. Result: calendar items are restored at the default GMT time and then the time zone is reset to the your original time zone setting, hence causing your all-day appointments to span multiple days.

Solution: Immediately after running an update, go to Blackberry Device Manager and restore the calendar data from the backup that was created during the update using the �Advanced� Backup Restore option. Once restored, your all-day calendar items should be restored in tact.

It worked for me! Good Luck.
    01-29-10 11:18 AM
    I wish I read this before upgrading. Since I upgraded to .822, all my birthdays start at 8 am and go for 24 hours, as opposed to being an all-day event. Since I've done other backups since the upgrade, I guess the previous poster's solution won't work. Any other fixes?

08-27-10 01:32 PM
    Geek -

Please clarify.

Are you stating that after the upgrade is complete and the device is operating but the recurring day events are off by several hours, then simply reload the backup file that was created immediately before the update since the backup file has the correct timezone settings?

Thanks.
    08-28-10 12:03 PM
    You have to set in your BlackBerry calendar options that a "day" is from 12:00 AM-11:59 PM, and you shouldn't have a problem when you click "all day event." However, if I ever accidentally sync Outlook with my phone over USB (I have a BES) it screws up all of my all day events and changes them to 8PM-8PM like you are saying.

Anyway try setting that option and see if it helps?

Changing the duration of my "day" did not help. This is crazy. I'm entering the birthday in the birthday field of the address book. Why wouldn't RIM just default this to an "all day" event regardless of what time zone you're in? Seems kind of "buggy" to me.
    10-18-10 01:19 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD