extract from a chat with orange,

You: hi dont suppose you can comment on all the press speculation that orange are about to launch the Blackberry bold on Saturday?

Jennifer W@Orange: Sorry I haven't been advised when this will be launched but if you have read that this is when it will be launched I would expect it to be.

Do you think this tranlates as, yes it is but no im not allowed to say?

Though i just read that it will be available in Orange boutiques on Saturday (what ever they are) and for the rest of us plebs on monday?

*edit* I take it Orange boutiques are just orange stores right? duh! lol
    Last edited by gapboy; 08-13-08 at 08:10 AM. Reason: my own dumness
    08-13-08 07:24 AM
    Interesting thread.....

I have been in 2 minds over this since I first saw the bold, I have an 8310 which I bought sim free from CPW and am using on Orange. I bought it as I was unsure if I would like BB and did not want to get tied into a contract. I am out of contract and can upgrade when I want now.

I really like my 8310 but am missing wifi and 3g, the 8320 of course has these but no GPS (why can't they release a curve with all 3?). In hindsight I think I would swap the GPS for wifi and 3G but not at the expense of a new contract on an older handset. Strangely I am not liking the look of the Javelin although it may be better in the flesh either way it is a fair way off.

What I really like about the curve is the size and weight feel just right and at 4mm longer, 6mm wider and 20g heavier the bold could well be a bit on the hefty side for me. I had a TYTNII before my BB and despite loving most of what it did I was tiring of the size/weight thing and the curve is almost normal phone sized which I like.

Anybody upgarding from a curve to the bold? Interested in your thoughts.
    08-13-08 08:30 AM
    This is driving me crazy now! What is it with Orange 'Customer Services'? "Sorry we have no information", "Sorry there is no release date at present"! I NEED my Bold!
    08-13-08 09:26 AM
    Interesting thread.....

I have been in 2 minds over this since I first saw the bold, I have an 8310 which I bought sim free from CPW and am using on Orange. I bought it as I was unsure if I would like BB and did not want to get tied into a contract. I am out of contract and can upgrade when I want now.

I really like my 8310 but am missing wifi and 3g, the 8320 of course has these but no GPS (why can't they release a curve with all 3?). In hindsight I think I would swap the GPS for wifi and 3G but not at the expense of a new contract on an older handset. Strangely I am not liking the look of the Javelin although it may be better in the flesh either way it is a fair way off.

What I really like about the curve is the size and weight feel just right and at 4mm longer, 6mm wider and 20g heavier the bold could well be a bit on the hefty side for me. I had a TYTNII before my BB and despite loving most of what it did I was tiring of the size/weight thing and the curve is almost normal phone sized which I like.

Anybody upgarding from a curve to the bold? Interested in your thoughts.
    I'm definately upgrading from my curve to the bold ..... im actually lookin forward to the lil bit bigger size. even with tiny hands the curve seems a bit smallish for me... someone said to me the bold is prolly about ipod classic sizeish if so then its really not that big or heavy and still good if ur a 1 handed texter like i am
    08-13-08 12:49 PM
    I'm definately upgrading from my curve to the bold ..... im actually lookin forward to the lil bit bigger size. even with tiny hands the curve seems a bit smallish for me... someone said to me the bold is prolly about ipod classic sizeish if so then its really not that big or heavy and still good if ur a 1 handed texter like i am
    Same here really.

I'll be upgrading from the Curve (8300) to the Bold.

Find sometimes the Curves keyboard is a tad small, so look forward to the Bold's slightly bigger keyboard (along with Wifi, GPS, 3G, 4.6 etc. etc.!)
    08-13-08 12:51 PM
    Same here really.

I'll be upgrading from the Curve (8300) to the Bold.

Find sometimes the Curves keyboard is a tad small, so look forward to the Bold's slightly bigger keyboard (along with Wifi, GPS, 3G, 4.6 etc. etc.!)
    yah the keyboard seems small for texting when you text fast ....mines the 8310 and the size is the only thing i dont like bout it as well
    08-13-08 12:57 PM
    Had an email back from Orange Switzerland and they confirmed the release here (Switzerland) to be September 1st...
    Still more then 2 long weeks to go...
    08-13-08 01:10 PM
    check the post: forums.crackberry.com/f83/gotcha-bb-bold-finally-photo-spotted-orange-uk-website-61404/
    08-13-08 05:12 PM
    Just got off the phone with the Orange Upgrade Department, no Bolds in today, but it is deffinitley being launched before Monday so he advised phoneing in tomorrow and Saturday.

Good news for me
    08-14-08 04:30 AM
    Just got off the phone with the Orange Upgrade Department, no Bolds in today, but it is deffinitley being launched before Monday so he advised phoneing in tomorrow and Saturday.

Good news for me

I think it depends who you talk to, as I called yesterday (Wed) and was tol it should be out by weekend . . . called again today and was told not aware of any dates!

Orange should send a clear message out, as the phone is on their website, all be it, not on offer or coming soon . . . teasing barstewards!

Are they trying to create more hype a-la iPhone?

ah well, as long as it's out this weekend, with delivery options for Monday / Tuesday!!
    08-14-08 05:10 AM
    haha I dont know what games Orange are playing but it is working isnt it, i guess the whole strategy is to get tech nerds such as my self salivating and discussing every little leak, comment and speculation on these message boards.

Roll on the weekend!!

haha x
    08-14-08 05:27 AM
    Still unsure about the bold but whilst I love most things about my curve it does lack in a few areas that would be useful. However I saw a picture of the leather back yesterday which seems an odd design choice imo.

I think I'll need to see one in the flesh before I decide and maybe I am better off waiting for the Javelin?
    08-14-08 05:59 AM
    Will Orange only sell on contract?

Otherwise any idea of the Orange UK Cash price?
    08-14-08 08:18 AM
    Definately no PAYG/SIM free/outright buy available on Orange. It will only be available on contract.

Any Orange Shops that have quoted Saturday are only reading the same info as you guys, Orange has released no details to any Retail store staff.

We normally get a weekly stock update on a Monday but nothings been issued this week. Leads me to believe their trying to make sure it happens before they let all the stores know.

We had the dummy handset for the Bold about a month ago, Orange branded though, which blows.
    08-14-08 08:31 AM
    technology. timesonline. co. uk / to l/ news / tech_and_web / article4530787.

interesting article . . . . more teasing.

I wonder if Orange will allow an upgrade to this, or if it will need to replace existing contracts?
    08-14-08 10:01 AM
    Just spoke to Orange Business Sales. They are aware that the BB Bold is supposed to be released this weekend, but they do not have any stock.
    08-14-08 11:22 AM
    Just got off the phone with Orange once again, this time their system told them that the phone was not in untill next week and so they had no stock today.
    08-15-08 03:30 AM
    Same detail! Orange Stores in Burton and Lichfield "Er mid-September Sir" Orange Online "Sorry we have no release dates at present". Well and truly hacked off with waiting and with sales assistants that should not have progressed past "Would you like fries with that?"!
    08-15-08 03:57 AM
    I don't think you can blame sales assistants: once again it's managemant who decide what their staff need to know, and clearly the Bold isn't really important to any UK network so they tell their staff nothing.

W*nkers.
    08-15-08 04:22 AM
    Well its back up on the online shop but 'coming soon'

Pay monthly mobile phones - the Orange shop

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 04:29 AM
    I'm allowed to blame sales assistants because I'm tetchy and I want my Bold. I would also value at least some facade of customer service from Orange, not "don't know, don't care (read: I'm talking to my mate)".
    08-15-08 04:34 AM
    Well spotted 'Hazy'... mind you I think that a lot of the shops are being messed aound a bit as well.

I was chatting to the manager of one yesterday, and he said, first it's 'on', then it's 'off'... then it's 'on' again, and so on.... we just don't know where we are either.

We all know that it definately will arrive... but the big question is of course WHEN?

Edit: I have also just spoken to Orange Business Sales, who have confirmed that although it is still not showing on their 'stock sheet', they are still expecting it to be available towards the end of next week... we shall see!
    Last edited by Montala; 08-15-08 at 05:00 AM.
    08-15-08 04:39 AM
    If I don't get it tomorrow my house is going to be gloomy at best all weekend!
    08-15-08 05:17 AM
    I hate to say it s-b, but it is looking more and more like a gloomy weekend for you.

You will now have to try and think of something else to cheer yourself (and the rest of your house!) up!
    08-15-08 05:25 AM
    Hi, new to the forum but regularly reading the posts.

As an existing Orange personal customer -I've just got off the phone to Orange Premier and the chap has told me it will be the 18th so this Monday.
    08-15-08 08:26 AM
570 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD