Today September 2 at 9:30 AM (GMT - 4:30) is the official 'launch event' for the Bold here in Venezuela. Movistar sent out select invitations for a concert with David Bisbal, for select authorized retailers. The package will include a bold for each retailer on arrival to the concert site.

Reporters at con-cafe.com will hopefully be giving live updates on the news as they develop, including pricing and availability, but I've already sent people in Caracas to try and get me one ASAP.

Let's hope it's available quickly enough (I can't wait to get my hands on it).

I'll also be updating here as the story unfolds. BE BOLD!

bb fanboy,

bored.

UPDATE: Price will be around-ish $500, black market dollars (BsF. 1.999). No info on whether it's for credit card or prepaid customers. They're distributing the phone as we speak.
    Last edited by bored; 09-02-08 at 11:38 AM. Reason: update
    09-02-08 08:32 AM
    i read con-cafe too!
    09-02-08 11:17 AM
    500 USD? and how much w/o contract?
    09-02-08 01:38 PM
    you dont have to sign a contract, just pay full price, and it is locked to use in movistar network. so pretty expensive i think, i rather buy it myself at 650US, at full price but unlocked. anyway im going to hong kong next week.
    09-02-08 05:16 PM
    It seems that the whole world will have this jamalama before the US.

If the Federated States of Micronesia get it before AT&T starts selling it, I am going to be really upset. That's were I draw the line darn it.
    09-02-08 05:42 PM
    you dont have to sign a contract, just pay full price, and it is locked to use in movistar network. so pretty expensive i think, i rather buy it myself at 650US, at full price but unlocked. anyway im going to hong kong next week.
    Well, considering Movistar purchases the units with official currency (BsF. 2,15 = $1) according to disclaimers in their offices, they're selling the phone for a hefty profit ($929 official), contract or no contract.

Oh and that's besides the fact that, if bought at an authorized retailer, the phone will carry over an obligatory line purchase (around 50 BsF extra). So we basically need to camp the Movistar offices in hope of getting the phone early on, if at all. Curves that arrive there are sold instantly.

BTW Manuel, you can just pay $50 TOPS to any webpage unlocker (lots of people recommend freeyourcellphone) to unlock it. That would make it a good price if you're paying with black market dollars. If you're using your CADIVI quota...guardame $650 ahi pues y te deposito jajaja.
    09-02-08 08:15 PM
    AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. Didn't AT&T say they would be one of the first carriers in the world to have the Bold? Pretty much the rest of the world is releasing the Bold and AT&T is just sitting on it.
    09-02-08 08:51 PM
    Well, considering Movistar purchases the units with official currency (BsF. 2,15 = $1) according to disclaimers in their offices, they're selling the phone for a hefty profit ($929 official), contract or no contract.

Oh and that's besides the fact that, if bought at an authorized retailer, the phone will carry over an obligatory line purchase (around 50 BsF extra). So we basically need to camp the Movistar offices in hope of getting the phone early on, if at all. Curves that arrive there are sold instantly.

BTW Manuel, you can just pay $50 TOPS to any webpage unlocker (lots of people recommend freeyourcellphone) to unlock it. That would make it a good price if you're paying with black market dollars. If you're using your CADIVI quota...guardame $650 ahi pues y te deposito jajaja.
    maracucho huevon murio chiquito... es lo unico que te digo, jajajaja

is it easy to unlock the new blackberry bold??, i ask this to you (BORED) because im leaving next week to china, and i think if i buy a blackberry bold locked from movistar and after that i can not unlock it, i will be in china and i wont be able to use the bb, so is it 100% secure i will? i will spend the 5000 bucks anyway so i calculate the us dollars like in the black market... so i think it will be cheaper for me to buy it from movistar and then unlock it... this will be my first bb that is why i ask you... im not sure about it. i have visited freeyourcellphone
    09-02-08 10:04 PM
    maracucho huevon murio chiquito... es lo unico que te digo, jajajaja

is it easy to unlock the new blackberry bold??, i ask this to you (BORED) because im leaving next week to china, and i think if i buy a blackberry bold locked from movistar and after that i can not unlock it, i will be in china and i wont be able to use the bb, so is it 100% secure i will? i will spend the 5000 bucks anyway so i calculate the us dollars like in the black market... so i think it will be cheaper for me to buy it from movistar and then unlock it... this will be my first bb that is why i ask you... im not sure about it. i have visited freeyourcellphone
    Unlocking a Bold, as I've read here, is the same as any other Blackberry (or so I've been told, please don't take my word for it) because it shares the same locking method. HOWEVER (and this is the big however) pages like freeyourcellphone and others that have been posted around here do charge a bit more for latin american phones, for reasons I can't entirely figure. If you're not entirely sure about it then keep the peace of mind and get the unlocked one.

In my opinion, I'd browse around these forums for a few unlocking referral posts people have made, and contact the page operators to know whether they can assure you a quick and effective unlock.
    09-03-08 01:02 AM
    Just read it has been launched in Malaysia, close enough to Micronesia for me. Now I am really mad! I think I will stomp around in a circle for 5 minutes in an expression of impotent rage. Not sure this is actually on topic, so I will stop now.
    09-03-08 06:35 AM
    Unlocking a bold is exactly the same as unlocking any other blackberry (mepd, mepe method, code) I unlocked my rogers two days ago. The only question i have is What OS version is the movistar bold coming with?
    09-03-08 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD