So I have an issue with my Bold that started randomly appearing.
    Whenever I hit the "A" key, it types "uo"
    whenever I hit the trackball to select something, it doesn't select it but instead types "hl"
    The Green Talk Button, when pressed, types "jk"
    The Red End Call Button, when pressed, types "nm"

I am stuck and I don't think this is under warranty.
    I am pretty sure this has no water damage, but it has been dropped once, but I didn't think a drop would cause the software to screw up so badly.

Any help is appreciated on how to fix this. Thank you
    05-11-09 01:32 PM
    So I have an issue with my Bold that started randomly appearing.
    Whenever I hit the "A" key, it types "uo"
    whenever I hit the trackball to select something, it doesn't select it but instead types "hl"
    The Green Talk Button, when pressed, types "jk"
    The Red End Call Button, when pressed, types "nm"

I am stuck and I don't think this is under warranty.
    I am pretty sure this has no water damage, but it has been dropped once, but I didn't think a drop would cause the software to screw up so badly.

Any help is appreciated on how to fix this. Thank you
    Have you done a battery pull?
    That's the first thing everyone asks.
    05-11-09 01:35 PM
    Have you done a battery pull?
    That's the first thing everyone asks.
    yes... take the battery out, wait 30 seconds and then pop it back in?
    done that! still no change. Doing the same thing.
    05-11-09 01:39 PM
    How odd, I was thinking perhaps it had slipped into a strange Eastern European language but if pressing non letter keys is doing stuff too, it can't be that. Very odd.
    05-11-09 01:46 PM
    Check if it is under warranty, and return it to AT&T.
    05-11-09 01:52 PM
    If you bought it directly from AT&T then it is under warranty. How long ago did you get it?
    05-11-09 01:54 PM
    Check if it is under warranty, and return it to AT&T.
    Either that or reinstall the OS.
    05-11-09 01:54 PM
    This is likely hardware... I had the same problem with my 8300 a while back. I did do a warranty replacement. Although, if you're not under warranty you could buy a new key board and try the repair yourself.
    05-11-09 02:05 PM
    OK I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!!!
    THE EXACT SAME BUTTONS TOO!
    OK I NEED HELP TO FIX IT!

SOMEONE TOLD ME TO REINSTALL ALL THE SOFTWARE, AND TO START BY DOWNLOADING THE TASK MANAGER ON MY DESKTOP. I DID THAT, BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO ACTUALLY REINSTALL MY SOFTWARE!

please help ):
    06-18-09 01:33 AM
    SOMEONE TOLD ME TO REINSTALL ALL THE SOFTWARE, AND TO START BY DOWNLOADING THE TASK MANAGER ON MY DESKTOP. I DID THAT, BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO ACTUALLY REINSTALL MY SOFTWARE!

please help ):

You can find .266 (the OS that a lot of us recommend) HERE. You can also view the other available OSes for the Bold HERE.

Follow these two guides:

Proper OS Upgrade & Downgrade Procedures

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

You will need CrackMem, which you can get HERE. The instructions for CrackMem can be found HERE.

Take your time and follow the instructions carefully.

Chris

PS - Welcome aboard!
    06-18-09 01:40 AM
    hmm...
    i tried it, and what happened was that i reinstalled the software but did exactly reinstall it from the beggining. it basicallt just added on the things tha i checked, like languages and stuff.

i need to uninstall the software completely right? how would i do that?
    thank youuu (:
    06-18-09 06:55 AM
    I have the same issue with the same letters, I fixed it by wiping the berry clean and starting over however this time it is so bad I can't type 'blackberry' to wipe it clean!!! so I am calling for a replacement because it's less than one year. it's happened about 5 times and I have not dropped it or gotten it wet!
    it sounds like it is happening to a lot of people
    06-28-09 11:18 PM
    I have the same problem too Bold was working fine until a couple of days ago and then out of the blue
    Trackball key when pressed comes up with Hi
    green call key comes up with jk
    red key comes up with nm
    A key comes up with ou

initially the battery pull worked, but then quickley reverted to having the incorrect key values.
    I have upgraded to the latest operating system (4.6.0.266) , which also worked briefly - but no lasting success.
    now pattery pulls occasionally work.

My bold doesn't hasn't suffered any water or dropping damage.
    08-03-09 06:08 AM
    Ran into the same issue a couple of times within the last days. I usually keep my Bold in a pouch but switched to putting it into my pant pocket occasionally. Since its quite warm it seems that water/sweat is really an issue here. A temporary fix for me was a soft reset via [ALT]+[RIGHT SHIFT]+[DEL] after making sure its dried out for a couple of hours.

Will keep you in the loop but I may end up having it replaced under warranty just to make sure...
    08-19-09 10:38 AM
    I know you said that there is no water damage, but this is exactly how mine reacted after I got it wet.

I dried it out and slowly the keyboard started to function properly.
    08-19-09 10:45 AM
    I am currently having this exact issue with my Bold.

It started on a hot summer night in Miami, where it was ridiculously humid. I picked up my phone to make a call, and I was not able to unlock it (which, you need CALL + * for). The CALL, HANG UP, A, and Trackball click stopped functioning. I solved that issue by wiping the device and reinstalling the OS.

2 weeks later, this issue happened again, except that this time CALL results in jk, * in uo, Hangup in nm, and trackball clock in hl. Tried doing a battery pull.. no luck. Tried doing a wipe/OS reinstall.. no luck. Tried taking out the logic board and tried drying it with a blowdryer.. no luck.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a warranty on this phone (6 months ago, LCD screen got damaged, so I had to take the phone apart to replace the LCD.. which voids your warranty).

I'm at the point where I've given up on this phone. Now I'm debating on either getting another Bold in retail (at least $400 for one with mfr warranty still on it), or an iphone 3GS w/early 2-year contract renewal through at&t ($500)
    08-24-09 08:18 PM
    Was curious if this was related to the new OS (292). Happened to me a couple times today but I think it was just awkward thumbs and not the kind of stuff I'm reading others have.

Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 09:00 PM
    If you have insurance, then maybe you might accidentally lose it tomorrow
    08-24-09 11:06 PM
    its a hardware problem. I had the same problem as well. Reinstalled the os and still the same problem. Good thing my warranty is still in effect
    08-24-09 11:24 PM
    its a hardware problem with the contacts on the keyboard. pull the keyboard off and clean with a q-tip and alcohol. let it dry then fire her up. ran into this problem twice.
    08-25-09 01:49 AM
    Agreed, must be hardware. I had 5.0.0.130 installed when the happened the first time, then went down to the latest 4.6 version - no change. FWIW, I had my phone replaced by O� Germany now but the replacement seems to have another issue (when calling the tone/speaker gets interrupted a second intervals which makes it impossible to hear the person speaking)...
    08-25-09 02:59 AM
    Just wanted to give you all an update.

I left my phone in my car today for several hours, and it was a hot summer day. When I came back, I found these buttons to work normally again.

Its possible that there was moisture inside the phone, which was evaporated due to the heat inside my car.
    08-25-09 10:57 PM
    Same problem. No warranty. What a pain having to fix it myself later. Oh well.
    08-25-09 11:33 PM
    Same problem. No warranty. What a pain having to fix it myself later. Oh well.
    It's call smack the keypad!
    Lol
    I had that problem before. Then I just accidentally dropped it on the carpet and it worked again! Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 02:09 AM
    Sorry to bring back a dead thread but I have the same problem. I have taken the phone apart. Cleaned the contacts from the phone, reloaded an OS and am still having the same issue. A warranty replacement is not an option since I've had the phone over a year. Anyone on here know what causes this? Please let me know.
    11-21-09 06:38 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD