07-24-13 09:46 AM
137 1234 ...
tools
    Updated to the latest WhatsApp beta (beta.whatsapp.com/ota) and I haven't seen my battery move at all in the past 5 hours.

Turned off the Facebook synchronization stuff.

Uninstalled Weather Channel, put in Weather Plus.

Looks like it really has to do with apps, not the BB itself.
    09-03-11 02:40 AM
    Only charges to 95%. Wall charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 11:42 AM
    I was discharding at a 10% per hour rate according to meterberry. I had verizon send me a new battery, I am now discharging between 3-3.9%.

my first battery was finished in mexico
    second in japan

just figured id share. I am now happy with my phone
    09-03-11 02:20 PM
    Maybe I should get a new battery... Idk seems likes its dying too quickly
    09-03-11 02:23 PM
    ...today I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, and got the BlackBerry 9900. So, tomorrow, 4th Sep, I'll fully test it.

But, my Verizon one seemed to do well yesterday\last night\this morning.
    09-03-11 06:23 PM
    if you are within 30 days of your initial purchase date and are gettin 6-10 hours of battery life, don't waste your time. Head back to the retailer and ask for a replacement. That's what I did. The difference is night and day.
    09-03-11 08:42 PM
    Did everything on this post. Deleted the Amazon Music APP,

Display Brightness @ 10
    Timeout at 20 secs
    Only on 2G
    Barely use wifi/bluetooth

Day 4 with almost no usage, battery died in less than 4 hours no matter what I do!

Real troublesome!
    09-04-11 04:56 AM
    Just a small newbie question: why do the firmware versions differ from one carrier to another? I got my simlockfree device about a week ago from The Phonehouse in the Netherlands and my device version is 7.0.0.296 while the latest official firmware version is .317.

Tried updating by the phone and also via Blackberry Desktop software but no upgrade available!

Any suggestions why??
    09-04-11 06:23 AM
    I wish people would stop comparing the new BlackBerry Bold 99xx to the previous Bolds! THEY ARE NOT THE SAME DEVICE! Apples to Oranges folks.
    The only device I can think of it that goes toe to toe with as close form factor wise is possibly the Droid Pro.

People are obvisously clueless due to the fact that the new BlackBerry Bold 99xx HAS A TOUCHSCREEN! So unless you failed to do your research this will suck up more battery life than previous models because the older devices DID NOT HAVE A TOUCHSCREEN!

Yes the battery IS "smaller" compared to older generations, BUT compared to my Droid X** with a bigger battery I still get considerably longer battery life with my new Bold than my Droid, and I consider myself a Heavy Leathel CrackBerry Injecting Abuser! (I know Apples to Oranges form factor wise...)

I have no problems making it through an entire day of Abusing from 8am to 8pm. HOWEVER, if I do need a quick pick me up I hit up the charger for a little juice! Fully Charged less than 30mins!

Stop being cry babies and get over it! Sometimes sacrafices have to be made. Unfortuantely, as far as I know, RIM does not consult its audience on a large enough scale to determine all the features we want and need as their consumer. However, YOU HAVE OPTIONS! PICK ONE! STOP CRYING! Life will continue to go on, and if for some strange reason your life doesn't go on well sucks to be you maybe you need a reality check.

Thank you for letting me rant!
    -Nate

BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Verizon (CDMA)
    v7.0.0.254
    09-04-11 01:11 PM
    I have noticed significant improvement with .353
    Ditto. Those of you on a GSM device (9900) shrink and use .353, I also noticed a HUGE improvement in battery life.
    09-04-11 08:13 PM
    I've noticed a significant improvement in battery life since I disabled the memory card. I think I could get two days out of a charge now.

Anyone else care to give it a shot are report back on it?
    09-05-11 01:10 PM
    Im running .296. The first days of charging I maxed out the battery fast (too fast)
    the battery lasted for only some few hours, i guess about 6.

Some charges after I have turned down brightness, switched to 2G when im not surfing a lot. Turned off GPS and NFC.

I also downloaded an app called: Battery Saver - free. Im not sure how this works.
    It only says Battery booster enabled. (so i guess its only running in the background somewhere)

After these different settings and attempts, my battery time has improved alot.
    But I think it has a lot to say to pump the Lithium battery up.
    It was written on RIMs site that its a good idea to max out the battery the first charges, but after that charge it up whenever you can, to top it off.

This helped me and my battery is still running 1 day after A LOT of use.
    Last edited by andre3030; 09-05-11 at 07:50 PM.
    09-05-11 07:47 PM
    Mines a little different now.. After using them all weekend battery seems to leave the 99 mark fast but when it reaches 87 86 percent it slows down and i get a real good full days use until i charge its only at work when this phone just goes nuts gets warm and dies in two to three hours.
    09-05-11 07:49 PM
    Why would disabling the memory card help battery life? Everyone should get at least 8 hours of use, and have a charger at home and work, or home and in the car...

The End!
    09-05-11 10:18 PM
    does disabling encryption help?
    09-06-11 07:44 AM
    Don't laugh at this, but after about 9 days of using my 9930 and getting pretty bad battery life, I listened to Slacker radio for about two hours one morning with ear buds attached. This seemed to increase my battery life, and amazingly, running Slacker itself almost does not drain the battery at all. After using Slacker, I was going a good 11-12 hours with moderate usage and talking about an hour on the phone before needing to recharge. Before doing that I was charging all night and running down between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. So try Slacker for a couple of hours and make sure you use the earphones.
    09-06-11 02:40 PM
    well I kind of found a temporary fix for my issue. I was having problems when leaving phone in draw at work or on my hip horrible reception my battery would die by 10 after taking it out charger at 6 What i did now was shut it off while in drawer. When I turn it back on it is really fast and the messages and emails come in really quickly only downside to this is that it does not come in at the right times that were sent but for now thats not a issue. I thought that when i do a full power off that when it turns on it takes forever and loads up on the bb screen but no its pretty fast so for now im good.
    09-06-11 04:35 PM
    I completely drained my battery then charged 'while off' over night. Now I'd say I significantly improved the battery life. It goes from 7 am till 11 pm easily. Was cutting short by a couple of hours prior to that.
    I know you're supposed to do this once you get the device initially...I thought I forgot something.....LOL...
    09-06-11 09:40 PM
    I get about 18 hours of straight usage, from 8am to 2am the next day. No wifi, using facebook and twitter a lot (3+ hours), reading cb and posting on the forums, 100-150 texts, emails and bbm.

Brightness at 10, dim at 30sec, on .353.

Best battery life I've ever gotten in my best phone I've ever had.

09-06-11 10:56 PM
    Can't seem to turn GPS off. Only options are, Location on, and E911 only. Stock OS if it helps
    09-07-11 12:57 AM
    I just got my phone today (.261), I plugged the phone in at about 6pm until 9pm to get it fully charged to 100%, with plans to run it down to about 5-10% twice just to try and show my battery some love. Anyways, at 9pm it came off the charger and it's now almost 2am, so 5 hours and I have 60% remaining. I've managed to have 22 different bbm convos at some point in the day on it, lots of texts, testing the internet, playing with options, hiding icons, customizing, downloaded 3 apps, etc. I basically haven't put it down since I got home from the store. Does only having 60% remaining after 5 hours of pretty hard use sound about right? My tour wouldn't be doing any better off with this similar usage. I guess I'll have a better idea after a few days of playing with it.

Is it worth upgrading to the leak? Will I lose anything on my phone if I do the .353 or whatever (can someone point me towards a thread for this).
    09-07-11 03:54 AM
    Can't seem to turn GPS off. Only options are, Location on, and E911 only. Stock OS if it helps
    Where it says location on, hit that and switch it to location off.
    09-07-11 03:58 AM
    Deleting Social Feeds and reducing my Twitter and UberSocial refresh times down from 5 minutes to 30 min or 1 hour made all the difference in my battery life. I now get more than a day of battery life with moderate use.
    09-07-11 09:36 AM
    Got my 9900 roughly a week or so ago and my battery is awesome. granted I am coming from a HTC Desire so any battery life is good....
    Anyway, I was worried about my battery at first but after things settled down a bit I gotta say this battery is stellar. I think most people freak out the first day or so when they get it and don't really give it time to settle.
    There are some apps that seem to put a heavy load on the battery and you just need to identify your own "Hogs" and keep an eye on them.
    Here's the info... I took my phone off the charger yesterday at 7am and purposely haven't charged it (I wanted to do a full cycle and also see how long it would last) now it has been 26 hours and I am at 32%. I am an average user so don't think I left my phone in standby all this time (there was a 7 hour sleepy time however). My settings and usage: v7.0.0.261, Backlight 20%, Timeout 30 sec, Location off, phone calls (about 1-2 hours), BBM (30-50 messages), texts (25-30), browsing (30-45 min), app world (20 min), camera (30-40 pictures/ no video), emails (30 received/15-20 sent), Facebook/twitter (1 hour no updates in BG, notifications on for messages/mentions) WiFi (4 hours) 3G (8 hours with WiFi turned off) and I use a snappy leather pocket pouch purchased from none other than CB and try to keep my phone in it whenever not in use.

These times and such are guess-timates and like I said I'm an average/moderate user and this is my experience. I ran one full cycle last week of charge and drain but really the battery is much better than I feared from reading horror stories here.... I am going to increase my usage over the next few days and see if there are some battery killing apps I have been using.... So far so good.
    Last edited by dancouver; 09-07-11 at 01:30 PM.
    09-07-11 11:58 AM
    I've using MeterBerry to track battery discharge and temperature.
    At best when on standby the temp hovers around 24-26 degree celsius.
    When in use moderately it goes up to 28-32 and with a heavier usage it shoots up all the way to 37c.
    If it "heats" up to 37c I can feel it (slightly warm) but around 30-32c not as noticeable.

From what I understand a heated battery is bad.
    So what would be considered the optimal, or normal, temperature of a battery should be at?
    Is the heating a hardware or software issue? I'm currently on official SK.353
    On standby it's discharging at roughly 4% (2g only) and 6-8%(2g+3g)

Would these issues be easily resolved by simply swapping out batteries?

As I'm typing this post, the temperature is at 35c.

Thanks.

09-07-11 08:56 PM
137 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD