07-24-13 09:46 AM
137 123 ...
tools
    A single thread about battery life, tips and issues has been requested more than once, so here it is. Please post only about your experience with battery life on the 9900 and any tips or specifics relating to said battery life. TIA. )
    anon2100101, Ti-Mike and mboujoul like this.
    08-30-11 02:09 PM
    I have been reading that signal strength is supposed to impact battery life but I constantly have 5 bars and my battery on the Bold 9900 can barely last a day. With my Curve 8530 it lasted 2 days no problem with me browsing, texting and bbming way more than I am right now.

I m currently on OS 7.0.0.261, should I maybe upgrade to a new one to help with my battery life? And if so could someon give me a link to which one?

I just really think that this should have a much better battery life than a Curve 8530, which I had for almost 2 years and never replaced the battery once.
    08-30-11 02:13 PM
    I have found that my battery will only last about 8-10 hours, so I have purchased a back-up battery. i believe that with the lower capacity battery,and the faster processor and higher resolution screen that this is going to be a continual issue, so plan acordingly.
    08-30-11 02:47 PM
    After reloading rogers official .261 my battery life seems to improve. Prior to reloading I was getting a discharge rate of about 5-6% on standby now it's discharging @ 2%/hr on standby.
    An hour of music playback consumes 6-8%
    So essentially I would be getting 50hours on standby and 16.6 hours of music playback.
    This is much less than what RIM's spec sheet for the 9900 states.

Should I be concerned about these discharge rates? Defective battery maybe, bad OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 02:52 PM
    I have noticed significant improvement with .353
    08-30-11 05:37 PM
    I have been reading that signal strength is supposed to impact battery life but I constantly have 5 bars and my battery on the Bold 9900 can barely last a day. With my Curve 8530 it lasted 2 days no problem with me browsing, texting and bbming way more than I am right now.

I m currently on OS 7.0.0.261, should I maybe upgrade to a new one to help with my battery life? And if so could someon give me a link to which one?

I just really think that this should have a much better battery life than a Curve 8530, which I had for almost 2 years and never replaced the battery once.
    There's one key difference here, and that is the network type. HSPA is simply far more taxing on battery life than even 3G CDMA. The biggest tip I give people in order to conserve battery life is to utilize EDGE as much as possible (sorry to those on Telus, Bell, Wind, etc...), if you aren't doing much heavy browsing.
    08-30-11 07:16 PM
    I think part of the problem is that the battery life indicator doesn't work properly. I think it is misleading people in thinking the battery is shorter than it really is.

Today, after a full nights charge and a few hours of use, my battery dropped to 75%. After more use and coming home, my battery now shows 80%. Weird.

Also, previously I ran my battery all the way down before doing a complete recharge, to see if that would help "synch" up the indicator with the actual remaining charge. When I got down to 3%, the phone still worked with everyone one for at least another 30-40 minutes before finally shutting down the network connections (at which point I recharged).
    08-30-11 11:20 PM
    Just got an update via desktop so I hope this helps some... I get weird battery life on wifi and I know most people are reporting big hits from networks but I get odd periods on wifi as well. I think it may be one or 2 suspect apps (BBapp world seems to gouge me a bit even on wifi)

When I look at my software info screen what number should I be concerned with for checking my Ver? The 7.0 Bundle, the Platform or the branding version? I keep seeing updated leaks posted but for the life of me cant figure out what number it's in reference to.... Sorry to post this here but it just came to me.
    Thanks
    08-31-11 02:14 AM

Battery "technology" has gone nowhere in the last 5 or more years. Since you've (atleast) doubled your processor, RAM, got a higher resolution screen, made it touch screen, have a faster browser and so on, you're bound to have less battery life.

This is exactly the reason higher end Android phones have battery life issue (bad battery coding aside). They want the fastest processors and biggest screens and it ends up shooting them in the battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 09:55 AM
    I really want the 9900 but the whole battery thing is putting me off a little. Does anyone know how the 8910's battery life is?
    08-31-11 01:07 PM
    I've noticed that switching from 3G to 2G connection helps on the battery time.
    But of course it sucks to switch it on and off for surfing etc.
    I'm getting another battery for sure
    08-31-11 02:25 PM
    38 hours since I took it off charge. Light to moderate use Bluetooth on, a few BBMs, quite a few e-mails, some photos, installed an app, browsing and a few calls. Still showing 30%.
    08-31-11 02:28 PM
    Posted this in another thread, but figured ide put it up in the official thread as well.

I went from 9 am till 6 pm with battery too low for radio use (yesterday) to 9 am till 4:30pm with 67% battery (today!)

This is what i did changed from yesterday....

Back light - 20% (was 50% yesterday)
    Display time out - 20 sec (was 40 sec yesterday)
    GPS - OFF
    running .353 leak

Only app refreshing in the background is berryweather which is set to every 3 hours, no other apps refreshing in the background.

This is with 3 e-mails set to push, about 50 BBM's and 50 e-mails sent, only 45 minutes of talk time today tho (was about 2 hours of talk time yesterday)

Checked bereader and twitter about 7 times each, and about 20 minutes of web browsing.
    08-31-11 03:43 PM
    That's what I was experiencing with my phone as well, except my discharge rate at idle was even higher than yours ranging from 2-4%. When used "normally" but heavily during the day (writing/sending/receiving emails, browsing, BBM, downloading docs) the discharge rate increased up to 20%/hr and the battery would get rather hot/warm (45C at one point). For instance, just last week I opened up Wikitude, set it up quickly and used it for a grand total of 8minutes. The battery discharged by 16% in that period!!

Purchased a new battery and the difference is like night & day. I've been running the phone since 7:32 this morning and with moderate use today, it shows 78% left - whereas with the old battery (the one I got in the package with the phone from Rogers) would be down to 20% thereabouts easily by now.

Thus, I know it's not the phone nor the software/firmware which is the culprit (I ran .261, .296 & .353 = no difference) - it's the battery (at least in my case).

I still believe there's something fishy going on with the batteries, because there are reports from elsewhere in Canada, the USA and Europe now that seem to indicate similar "luck-of-the-draw" battery performance.

I sincerely hope that RIM will look into this but I won't hold my breath. Maybe our Fearless CrackBerry leader Kevin has some sway in that dep't.
    today from 8:30 am till now (11pm)at 70%.
    my usage was: first of all i used 9900 wall charger and not playbook's (full charge by 40 mins).
    gps off;
    display at 40%;
    Edge only;
    50 emails around (in/out);
    bbm 1 hour around;
    no tw because it drains much (waiting for a new version);
    whatsapp;
    14 calls.

i'll test using 3g also.

edit: fw 353
    Last edited by ettorwe; 08-31-11 at 04:33 PM.
    08-31-11 04:12 PM
    ^^
    Lucky-ducky!

What carrier are you with? Also feel free to add your battery specks (manufacture location/lot code) to the thread listed on the first page of this stickied thread. Trying to see if there's any discernible pattern.
    O2 - UK, firmware .296. Battery made in Japan.
    Lot code DC110604
    JSBCA03262

Haven't changed screen brightness or timeout.
    karaya1 likes this.
    08-31-11 04:13 PM
    Some tips from the homepage for extending battery life... Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend Battery Life!
    08-31-11 04:16 PM
    I had a weird thing happen last night. Well it was dead by like 5 so I charged it until I went to bed. When I went to bed it was 100%. I plugged it in with my old bb charger. The clock didn't show up but I was so tired I didn't really think about it. Well when I woke up this morning my phone was off and when I turned it on my battery was only at 65%? Could this have been from using my old charger? I wouldn't think that would be an issue!
    08-31-11 10:57 PM
    I go all day with my Bold, from 8 till evening and have some left. This is with brightness turned down, bluetooth and wifi on, and lots of BES email and BBM/Text. I also talk about 1-2 hours a day.
    Would like more but it gets me through the day. I always have access to some way of charging in a regular day.
    My android buddy gets 4-5 hours if he is lucky.
    09-01-11 11:34 AM
    Just a suggestion. This might not be the same for all. I got my 9900 factory unlocked from India, which came with music app, Amazon MP3 store.

Go to Options>Device>Application Management>Amazon MP3 Store.

Delete that app. Pull your battery, restart it. My BB used to work for about half a day, now it works for almost 2 days. Hope it helps
    09-01-11 03:32 PM
    Today was weird i followed a lot of the steps on that guide today and i had it off the charger at 6 and by 1230 dead. I dont understand.
    09-01-11 08:21 PM
    try switching to 2G mode if you are not doing any extensive browsing.
    09-02-11 02:05 AM
    OK, I have to apologize to RIM (after being very upset that my 9900 had a 6 hours battery life): Things seem to be OK now...after I charged the 9900 for the fourth time. I can't explain it but starting of today in the morning, the battery life seems to be OK. Turned my 9900 on this morning at 8:05 am and now it is 3:05 pm in the afternoon (Germany). Battery life left is 70% and I used my 9900 for a couple of times today (three calls, checking emails a couple of times, playing around with an app or two). 30% less battery capacity in five hours, this is OK for me.
    After the first charge (and the second and third full charge), I had only 30% battery capacity left...after only 7 hours of usage. Crazy.

I really don't know why it takes the 9900 that long to "adapt" to the battery but at least I have now one worry left. I just wish the signal reception strength would improve too.
    09-02-11 08:10 AM
    Oh, forgot...using beta FW 353/544.
    09-02-11 08:11 AM
    Got mine yesterday (battery started on 30%) and spent most of the day tuning and configuring it how I want with updates etc plugged in. So hard to tell battery life.

This morning stopped playing and started working with it. Took it off the charger 7am and now going to bed 11:30pm and battery at 57% with moderate to heavy usage - phone calls, emailing, texting/BBMs, surfing et al.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of the 9900's battery demise have been greatly exaggerated!
    09-02-11 05:32 PM
    I'll have to pay attention to mine tomorrow...
    09-02-11 11:29 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD