Can I back up and then restore my apps, settings etc after re-loading the OS, or should I literally start from scratch
    To get full advantage of a wipe, doing everything from scratch is the best way... especially if your battery issue is caused by device switch bringing in some sort of corruption. This would be the only way to find out for sure (and it worked for me... turned my 9900 from an adequate phone into an absolutely amazing phone again!)
    09-21-11 06:54 PM
    I have 9930 , the phone is, for me, the best BUT yes the only down part is the battery life...
    09-21-11 09:30 PM
    Been using my 9930 for about a week now and I must say battery life is quite amazing coming from an Android device. An average day with my rooted Incredible would have my phone off the charger at 830am and its dead by 530pm.

My new 9930 however lasts me till at least 10pm everyday. While its not as amazing as BlackBerry devices used to be its still pretty darn good in comparison to most smart phones out now. I think this is the trade off people have to accept when asking for these beefed up specs in a BlackBerry. It doesn't matter to me that I can't get 2 days out of a BlackBerry like I used to with a hybrid OS because I charge my phone every night while sleeping anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 12:16 AM
    Today I am experimenting by using 2G only. I know I shouldn't have to, but I'm intrigues to know whether it does actually make any difference to battery life
    09-22-11 03:17 AM
    To get full advantage of a wipe, doing everything from scratch is the best way... especially if your battery issue is caused by device switch bringing in some sort of corruption. This would be the only way to find out for sure (and it worked for me... turned my 9900 from an adequate phone into an absolutely amazing phone again!)

I did the wipe and redownloaded the apps from appworld 1 by 1. Also I did my settings all over again. The only thing I restored were my text messages and emails. It seems like there was some setting from the back up that was causing my battery to die faster. Before the wipe I was in the yellow by 4-5pm I did the wipe on Monday and yesterday it was 11pm and I was at 32% Fell in love with the phone all over again
    Thanks. I'll think about it. Not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle of setting everything up again. Especially as most of the time I'm in reach of a charger anyway
    09-22-11 03:20 AM
    One thing I have noticed this morning is that my coverage indicator is jumping from full bars down to one bar constantly while it is just sitting on my desk.. Could this be a cause for huge battery leakage??
    09-22-11 09:59 AM
    One thing I have noticed this morning is that my coverage indicator is jumping from full bars down to one bar constantly while it is just sitting on my desk.. Could this be a cause for huge battery leakage??
    Uhhhhhhh what do u think??...is your battery draining like an open pipe whilst sitting on idle???...if it is then yes quite clearly when a phone is actively looking for a signal, its going to impact the battery life to some extent.
    09-22-11 11:14 AM
    Got a replacement battery through from Vodafone today. It's made in Korea and doesnt have the two white dots at the bottom. Just charging it up now. Here's to hoping i had a duff battery!

09-22-11 12:43 PM
    Ok, hopefully this breakdown will help anyone facing battery issues.

I purchased a new Bold 9900 a few days ago (Monday). I got home and used the phone a bit with the residual battery charge that it came with. The battery drained in a matter of 2-3 hours, but i thought this to be normal since the phone was not charged.

I charged the phone overnight

Tuesday: Using 3G (no BIS), few calls, some texts, not much use. The battery drained by 5pm (taken off charge at 9am).

Wednesday: Took the BB off its overnight charge at 9am and it handled much better. Used 2G, had temporary BIS, made calls and texted. The battery was at 35% at around 4pm. My BIS at the time was having some issues so I did a battery pull. Upon restarting, the battery was at 45%. Subsequently, it lasted until about 9pm that night. so 12hrs total for day 2.

Thursday: Another overnight charge (took off at around 11am). Using 2G still, full BIS, setup email, Facebook, twitter etc. By that night, roughly 12hrs later, the battery was at around 50% full. Not bad at all

Friday: Did not charge the phone overnight, did a charge for 2-3 hours in the morning. Still 2G, BBMing a lot etc. Over 27+ hours later (now Saturday afternoon) The battery is at 65% after a hectic day and night of communication.

BOTTOM LINE The battery life improves dramatically over the course of a few days and a few full charges. Make sure to let the battery die completely when you are having issues and then do a full night's charge. I guess 2G helps as well. I have my backlight on 10 and 10 seconds dim. Also auto on/off is useful during the week when I'm not awake between 2-9am.

Hope this helps guys.
    10-15-11 09:18 AM
    I just bought a new Blackberry 9900 (I love it). But having real issues with the battery. First, the background. I'm currently in New Delhi, India on business with my unlocked phone (thank you, freemycell.com). I have both the blue tooth and wifi shut off. I also have the phone set to 2G, just in case (a tip I learned here). Now granted, I am so excited about this new phone, that I have added numerous, mostly game applications. But it still shows plenty of memory left.

Yesterday I bought "Battery Watchdog". A cool program, but all I did was watch the battery drain 50% in 2 hours!!! I've always carried a spare battery with me for all my Blackberry's, do I have to start carrying two?

Here's what I'd really like to know, what program will show me what applications are currently "open" on my BB so I can close them? I'm afraid I jump from one program to another and numerous ones remain running in the background. It would be helpful to know what those programs are...

ANY solutions would be appreciated.

TIA,

John
    10-25-11 03:46 AM
    I just bought a new Blackberry 9900 (I love it). But having real issues with the battery. First, the background. I'm currently in New Delhi, India on business with my unlocked phone (thank you, freemycell.com). I have both the blue tooth and wifi shut off. I also have the phone set to 2G, just in case (a tip I learned here). Now granted, I am so excited about this new phone, that I have added numerous, mostly game applications. But it still shows plenty of memory left.

Yesterday I bought "Battery Watchdog". A cool program, but all I did was watch the battery drain 50% in 2 hours!!! I've always carried a spare battery with me for all my Blackberry's, do I have to start carrying two?

Here's what I'd really like to know, what program will show me what applications are currently "open" on my BB so I can close them? I'm afraid I jump from one program to another and numerous ones remain running in the background. It would be helpful to know what those programs are...

TIA,

John
    People say battery monitors actually have some slight impact on the battery itself... How is your signal strength? Signal strength is probably the number one offender in battery life. As for seeing what is currently running, you can find that out by pressing and holding down the BB button until the "task switcher" pops up showing you a band of icons. That band is what's currently running.

10-25-11 07:07 AM
    People say battery monitors actually have some slight impact on the battery itself... How is your signal strength? Signal strength is probably the number one offender in battery life. As for seeing what is currently running, you can find that out by pressing and holding down the BB button until the "task switcher" pops up showing you a band of icons. That band is what's currently running.

My BB is unlocked. While traveling in India I use the international data plan provided by T-Mobile (I use an India cell phone for calls...), and ONLY use it for sending and receiving emails. Your point is interesting if the distance has a battery drain issue. I got the phone just before I left Florida, headed home tomorrow (thankfully). I'll see how the battery acts then. Thanks for the feedback!
    10-25-11 08:01 AM
    Ive came up with a fantastic idea to improve my battery life & it really works........switched back to my 9700. I really liked the 9900 in every way other than Battery Life & Camera& unfortunatley these were vety important to me. I do miss the touch screen & keyboard but im not about to start turning off wi fi when not in use, reducing brightness, switching to 2g etc etc to save battery. Im sticking with my old 9700 till i can sell my 9900 & get a white 9780. Check Ebay item 230691138097 uk only. My BlackBerry list in the last year reads 9700-9800-8520-9780black-9780white-9700-9900-9700 now soon to be 9780 white. I think looking at this list its easy to see my preference. Enjoy the 9900 it really is a great phone just lacking in the most important department (for me anyway). Im gonna keep an eye on the 9900 forums to see if any major developments occur. Who knows i might switch back when the white one comes out :-)
    10-25-11 08:48 AM

TIA,

John
    Click on options (the little wrench) click on Device, click on Application Management.
    Now swipe the screen to the left. It shows CPU use. Scroll through your apps. It will show you which ones are running and how much of the CPU they are using. (Make sure it says CPU Now for read out of current CPU load) You should be able to identify any power hungry apps right here.

I am very happy with my 9900. Just sitting CPU use is between 9 and 14%. 3G on Wifi on. Easily lasts all day logging 3+ hours of use (Calls, browsing and messaging)
    johndfffff and PierreC like this.
    10-25-11 10:07 AM
    Took my Bold 9700 off charge 11pm last night current time is 16.20 (uk time) & my battery is at 60% after moderate use with texts, calls, Email, ubertwitter & facebook with calendar reminders with vibrate & wifi on constant & 3g. I just couldn't get no where near this with my 9900 & I can't have that when chances are I'm going to be out & about with no means of putting it on charge. Having that confidence & reliability in the Battery that I get with the 9700/9780 is what I depend on.

10-25-11 10:25 AM
    Click on options (the little wrench) click on Device, click on Application Management.
    Now swipe the screen to the left. It shows CPU use. Scroll through your apps. It will show you which ones are running and how much of the CPU they are using. (Make sure it says CPU Now for read out of current CPU load) You should be able to identify any power hungry apps right here.

I am very happy with my 9900. Just sitting CPU use is between 9 and 14%. 3G on Wifi on. Easily lasts all day logging 3+ hours of use (Calls, browsing and messaging)
    This is the info I wanted. Thanks - very informative seeing the applications....
    10-25-11 02:47 PM
    I'd like to share my experience to hopefully help some people out.

Had muy 9900 on the telus network for 2 weeks. Horrible!! Battery life. I'm talking litteraly watching it go down. Getting 4-5 hours if I'm lucky. With really basic usage, couple dozen texts/bbm, 15-30 minutes of easy browsing (craigslist etc.). Few emails and one 2min phone call. First week was no power saving settings, second week was doing all crackberries suggestions. Including upgraded to .440 leak.

I bought the phone of craigslist, traded my 9780 +300 cash. The charger I was useing on my 9780 was an apple charger with a nokia usb lol ya I know ********, and the guy didn't want it so I didn't get the 9900 charger. But this apple/nokia combo wouldnt work on my 9900 for some weird reason so I was just useing my computer usb over night, then my car charger on its first recharge of the day. Oh and the computer usb while useing my phone at home.

I was so close to getting a new battery then my friend found my original 9780 charger that I lost while drunk one day. So I started useing that charger. First day was still all over the place but second day and today. I take it off at 7am and it will last all the way till 10pm or so. So I'm back to use my phone all day charge all night. Just how I like it.

Long story short, it might be your charger if your getting ****ty battery usage.

10-26-11 07:18 PM
    After a few weeks of usage, I have become quite satisfied with the battery. At the end of the day, I still have about 30% left. Yet I have 3G, wifi and Bluetooth on all the time, daily full backup over Bluetooth, 2 or 3 sync over Bluetooth, etc.
    I was concerned at the beginning, but not anymore!
    10-27-11 04:55 PM
    i used to get barely a day on the 9900, but i did two things which now gives me closer to 2 days now :-) ...
    1) turned off GPS location and the aGPS or whatever it's called, and
    2) now this is one i haven't heard about before: I turned off facebook chat! (looking in the events logger, i found a lot of fb chat logs. As soon as I disabled the chat, no more frequent Events!)

Do these two, and you should see your standby battery life extended dramatically.

good luck!

i have found one drawback to shutting off GPS, there's a program which seems to want to check for GPS every minute on the minute once the location is set to "off". The log event says "ee. GPS location is disabled. downloading is cancelled" or something like that. I dont't know what program or app "ee" is, and haven't been able to find it on the web. In any case, battery is much better now, and it'll improve once i can shut off this recurrent 'event'.
    11-01-11 10:51 PM
    i have found one drawback to shutting off GPS, there's a program which seems to want to check for GPS every minute on the minute once the location is set to "off". The log event says "ee. GPS location is disabled. downloading is cancelled" or something like that. I dont't know what program or app "ee" is, and haven't been able to find it on the web. In any case, battery is much better now, and it'll improve once i can shut off this recurrent 'event'.
    To me it seems like this app "ee" is switching on the gps every minutes. So removing this software and enabling back the gps should do the trick. Because I get about the same battery life with location services on or off.
    About the Facebook chat do you mean the Facebook chat app? or something in the Facebook app?
    11-02-11 04:56 AM
    I'm on O2 UK with .296 and my battery life looks fine: I'm not a heavy user but it gets me through the day without any problem whereas my 9000 wouldn't do that. I was worried about battery life reading all the threads but it's not an issue. I did buy a spare battery just in case but I don't think I will need it.
    11-02-11 05:06 AM
    To me it seems like this app "ee" is switching on the gps every minutes. So removing this software and enabling back the gps should do the trick. Because I get about the same battery life with location services on or off.
    About the Facebook chat do you mean the Facebook chat app? or something in the Facebook app?
    For the Fb chat, no it's the option inside the FB app itself. I put myself to "offline".

As for the "ee" app, I first thought the same as you that it turns on the GPS, but that's not the case. I figured this out because I tested it out by briefly letting the GPS on to allow the "ee" to update, which it did, and then I re-shut off the GPS. An "ee" event log said it was updated and would now only update after a specific time (it was in code so I don't know how long a time it was). But in any case, the app didn't restart looking for the GPS for a few hours or so (ie no Event from "ee" was logged). So I know it doesn't turn on the GPS because if it did, it wouldn't keep asking every minute because it only wants to know every few hours let's say. It seems to be in a loop I'd love to break, as it tries each minute, it must take up some small amount of battery every time.

I haven't tried any combinations of fb chat and GPS, so admittedly I don't know if it's only one or both of these hints which is really helping my battery. I'll try some combos and see.
    11-02-11 12:32 PM
    Just a suggestion. This might not be the same for all. I got my 9900 factory unlocked from India, which came with music app, Amazon MP3 store.

Go to Options>Device>Application Management>Amazon MP3 Store.

Delete that app. Pull your battery, restart it. My BB used to work for about half a day, now it works for almost 2 days. Hope it helps
    Thanks for this suggestion! It worked like a charm! My battery is holding up! Almost 3hrs and still at 95% charge with light use.
    01-19-12 07:15 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Ive came up with a fantastic idea to improve my battery life & it really works........switched back to my 9700. I really liked the 9900 in every way other than Battery Life & Camera& unfortunatley these were vety important to me. I do miss the touch screen & keyboard but im not about to start turning off wi fi when not in use, reducing brightness, switching to 2g etc etc to save battery. Im sticking with my old 9700 till i can sell my 9900 & get a white 9780. Check Ebay item 230691138097 uk only. My BlackBerry list in the last year reads 9700-9800-8520-9780black-9780white-9700-9900-9700 now soon to be 9780 white. I think looking at this list its easy to see my preference. Enjoy the 9900 it really is a great phone just lacking in the most important department (for me anyway). Im gonna keep an eye on the 9900 forums to see if any major developments occur. Who knows i might switch back when the white one comes out :-)
    yeah .. i tend to agree .. i love the bold 9900 .. have had one since August 7th 2011 .. but i don't like the camera at all compared with the bold 9700 .. and battery life is ok .. not great ... but for now sticking with the bold 9900 .. hope RIM addresses this major weakness in the next product release ...
    01-19-12 07:43 AM
    Is RIM going to release a better and longer lasting battery in the JM1 battery size sometime in the future?

01-19-12 10:58 AM
137 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD