I'm using a Nokia E75 with 3G on AT&T. I'll have to move to something newer when AT&T shuts off 3G, so I have been looking at the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Wikipedia says there is a version of the Bold 9900 that supports 4G, as do certain marketing materials from AT&T and T-Mobile. But at the same time I see people on this board saying it will stop working in 2022.

Is this because the "4G" BlackBerry Bold somehow relies on a 3G network? Perhaps I need 4G LTE, and simply 4G isn't enough? Or is it just that most people don't have the 4G version and if I get my hands on one it could work past 2022?

If the Bold 9900 is a no go, I am open to suggestions for phones with 4G, good build quality (read: old), no touchscreen (or an interface that is not touch oriented), a QWERTY keyboard, plus support for group texting and some sort of maps program. I don't expect there to be a phone that meets all those requirements but the BB Q10 looks promising.
    09-17-20 10:43 PM
    Phones will need to support current VoLTE standards.... many older phones even with LTE do not.

4G and LTE are not the same things, sorry but the Bold 9900 might have gotten 4G on some networks that like to deceive their customers, but it wasn't LTE 4G.

Now AT&T isn't suppose to shut down 3G till early 2022, which is coincidentally when BlackBerry is also shutting down all legacy support. Use you Bold till then if you want, but at that point you'll have to move on.
    09-18-20 07:37 AM
    For the sake of curiosity, is it true that phones will need to support VoLTE? I thought I saw some people saying voice and SMS would still work on older phones via 2G.

Re BlackBerry "legacy support," is this just BIS? There's a guide on using BB Bold without BIS so perhaps that could be overcome.

At any rate it sounds like the lack of LTE support is something that can't be overcome. I guess LTE is different from what was marketed as 4G, and you need something which supports LTE if to have data post-2022. I'll stick with my Nokia as long as possible, then maybe move to a BB Q10.
    09-18-20 09:08 AM
    Phones will need to support current VoLTE standards.... many older phones even with LTE do not.

4G and LTE are not the same things, sorry but the Bold 9900 might have gotten 4G on some networks that like to deceive their customers, but it wasn't LTE 4G.

Now AT&T isn't suppose to shut down 3G till early 2022, which is coincidentally when BlackBerry is also shutting down all legacy support. Use you Bold till then if you want, but at that point you'll have to move on.
    Plus AT&T was really known as 4G HSPA which is really 3G with some kind of higher speeds and enhanced backhaul. It's the same reason my AT&T V30 and XR show 5Ge which is really 4G LTE with some kind of higher speeds and enhanced backhaul.

Anything below BB10 is definitely over after end date and I suspect BB10 LTE has some compatibility issues.
    09-18-20 10:03 AM
    For the sake of curiosity, is it true that phones will need to support VoLTE? I thought I saw some people saying voice and SMS would still work on older phones via 2G.

Re BlackBerry "legacy support," is this just BIS? There's a guide on using BB Bold without BIS so perhaps that could be overcome.

At any rate it sounds like the lack of LTE support is something that can't be overcome. I guess LTE is different from what was marketed as 4G, and you need something which supports LTE if to have data post-2022. I'll stick with my Nokia as long as possible, then maybe move to a BB Q10.
    If you live where there is still 2G Service....

No BlackBerry gave a whole list of Legacy Support that is going away.... it's more than just BIS.

BBQ10 don't seem to have the right version of LTE to support current VoLTE here in the USA. And those ending legacy services will affect BB10 devices as well.... no BBM, no BBID, no BB Protect, no BBW.... and probable more.
    09-18-20 11:15 AM
    AT&T shut down the 2G network a couple years ago.
    09-18-20 11:20 AM
    Since I have a Verizon family plan with three Bold 9650s and Verizon is throwing us all off at the end of 2020, I went to both ATT and T-Mobile stores and this is what I found out:

Verizon will only allow +4G VoLTE on their network end of 2020. My older phones are grandfathered in til end of year, but I cannot add a 3G phone to their network.

ATT said they will allow my old 3G Bolds if unlocked. They said they just got rid of 2G.

T-Mobile (which merged with Sprint) said 3G is fine as long as slot for SIMM and phone supports CDMA (the Bold does).

Since inevitably even T-Mobile will stop supporting 3G, I keep looking for a 4G Blackberry like the Bold, small, removable battery, BBOS, physical keyboard, NO touchpad, but it seems not even the older phones do not have that because BB (foolishly) decided to try to compete with iPhones instead of accepting a niche market of loyal users.

Lately, whenever I take out my Bold, even young people crowd around to look at it and say how much they liked those phones...not everyone wants a large buddy smartphone with a short battery life.
    10-01-20 02:27 PM

Since inevitably even T-Mobile will stop supporting 3G, I keep looking for a 4G Blackberry like the Bold, small, removable battery, BBOS, physical keyboard, NO touchpad....
    As you have found, no such device ever existed. The last BBOS phones (OS 7 devices) that were released did support HSPA+, and some US carriers, including T-Mobile and AT&T, misleadingly labeled it as "4G" on those phones. The rest of the world properly labeled it "H+".

Since HSPA+ is really a 3G spec, those OS 7 phones get left by the wayside as well with the 3G shutdown.
    AA Byron likes this.
    10-01-20 03:19 PM
    As you have found, no such device ever existed. The last BBOS phones (OS 7 devices) that were released did support HSPA+, and some US carriers, including T-Mobile and AT&T, misleadingly labeled it as "4G" on those phones. The rest of the world properly labeled it "H+".

Since HSPA+ is really a 3G spec, those OS 7 phones get left by the wayside as well with the 3G shutdown.
    Yeah and he might want to try a modern phone.... short battery life isn't really a issue today. My 9650 and Z10 were great because they allowed for replacing the battery, which was required to really get through a full day with either. But my last three phones had no issues making a day without replacing a battery. There are some that many go multiple days without charging.

Is funny how some are so excited about the new "small" iPhone 12 Mini. Maybe small is the new big?
    10-06-20 12:59 PM
    Haha... Isn't small "big" when mobile's "mobile"? Lol.

When an oversized, overweight, phablet tugs my pocket Tee neckline crooked, it's not "mobile" imo. . Likewise phablets with Keyoards... Like K. Lol. Even my oversized, overweight Classic wrecks my pocket Tee neckline... Yes, I'm an old retired "Classic" myself. Certainly no physic to show off these days. Lol. BUT, neatness is a "thang" ! Imo. Lol.

Even tho Agent99.00 spends more time in hand than in pocket, thanks to her exquisitely proficient volume/mass physic, she NEVER tugs my pocket Tee crooked! Lol. I believe Ralph (where's @ralph these days?) also shared that peeve... haha...

Thang'bout swappable batts... If you need a bigger battery, get a bigger battery...? Lol. Unsung beauty of swappable batts is that you can fit bigger ones when needed! And enjoy lighter ones on lighter use days when not needed.

Batteries are dense! Unless I have some specific need, forcing my arthritic hand to handle more mass-inertia than necessary invites fatigue and errors, by day's end. Imo.
    I've enjoyed privilege to study some videos a coworker took of myself operating 99 in left hand. I've encouraged her to youtube them and she's deep scrubbing visual & audio "privacy clues" first, tho. We have videos of HER blindingly fast thumb but she's too fast for the frame rate used. Lol. SOME young brains are just wired that way! Lol. Her young daughter applies some exquisite visual artwork to her thumbnail! Too ready of identifier for youtube, she feels.

Grasp is so secure, and MOI so perfectly placed, that 99's chassis rocks and tilts to meet my thumb! That "rock&tilt" diminishes significantly with Classic. Greater amplitude but slower angular velocity. Almost "molasses in January" slow on K1. Lol. AND "bounce" can be observed as the "hand"set's natural frequency, and harmonics, are approached. Mass & MOI tuning are essential considerations in virtually all machinery. Properly engineered, that is. No telling WHAT "hobbies" an old, retired, engineer might pick up... Lol.

Rocking and tilting on 9650 are slightly fastest yet! Btw.

The 5000mah aftermarket Monster (yes that batt is 5 yrs old and still rocking!) currently in this 9900 powers thru 3 day working weekends with plenty left over Tues morning. The added grasp afforded by extended thickness (in JUST the right place) assists typing speed & precision. I frequently avail the lighter JM1 oem battery but retain the extended cover for the added grasp. Fastest config on both 99 and 9650. imo.

My fastest ever wpm type rate is achieved on my old 9650 with extended battery fitted! Slightly faster than even comparably equipped 9900! And that's saying something! Time demanded to reboot after batt swap is nearly the only reason I'm not using 9650. Runner up 9900's 1.2ghz processor gets it back in under 3 minutes... Compared with nearly 10 minutes 9650 demands.

A few minutes every few days might seem insignificant... Unless, I've drained it to shutdown during a call... Getting back to a frantic client transforms minutes into millennia... Lol.

My elderly father LOVED his 9650 and frequently opines that he's too "shaky" to be in the same room with touch screen ANYthing! He dropped his beloved 9650 into a paint bucket a couple years ago and VZW refused to activate the spare 9650 I'd prepared for him. He's been on an awful flip phone since. The impact on his general positivity of life has been sadly noticeable. Texting his great grand kids, friends, etc WAS a favorite pastime since Mom passed, about 5 yrs ago. T9 doesn't agree with his shakiness much better than touch screen. BUT, the flip phone k9 isn't perpetually butt dialing, at least.

I'd fixed him up with a touch deactivated 9900 but the butchered lock app that locks the touch input requires manual restart after a battery swap or reboot. Which demands a sliding input on the touch screen... Very frustrating for "shakey" folks...

Our iPhone leaning youngest daughter once borrowed my old 9650 for over a year so she could text while nursing her "helpful" infant. Lol. Amazing the things touch surfaces can do when infants decide to "help" mom operate the thing! Lol. That old 9650 ultimately suffered demise and VZW also refused its replacement... The now 5 year old grand daughter climbs on my knee and mimics her Gpa (me) typing with her very own deactivated 9650! Go figure... Cultural implications of this technology are playing out in real time! Lol.

Oh well... "Designed obsolescence" embedded batts are a reality of "new every two" embarrassingly wasteful "life"... Imo. Fascinating to ponder that should this technology find its way into 5+ billion hands, that means 2.5billion handsets find landfills each year!... That's 80 tossed handsets per SECOND! Every second, every day of the year! SOMEthing must alter that nonsense, eventually. Imo. Fwiw. Lol.
    10-09-20 07:58 AM