hi! i recently acquired my brand new BB Bold 9780 as a gift from my aunt. she purchased this from the US and shipped it here in the Philippines. my current OS 6.0 bundle 1879 (v6.0.0.448, platform 6.5.0.136).

im just disappointed because the battery when reached to 50%, the phone shuts down saying battery drained, when in fact the battery level is still halfway. i dont know why is this happening because even the battery came with the unit so i know its also brand new. and when i charge the phone, it will charge for a few minutes (maybe 15 minutes) then when i rechecked, it goes directly to 50% more or less (with little time).

i have this BB for barely 3 weeks now. i've been reading in forums that upgrading the OS will help, but i dunno what OS will i choose and i worry if it will really work.

PS. i also tried everything i read about in forums, like making sure all the apps are close, battery pull, etc. i was able to somehow extend my battery life but my problem on the phone shutting down at 50% battery level is still MY PROBLEM NOW.

please, i need all your help.

thanks
    Last edited by bukikoy; 08-14-12 at 01:02 AM.
    08-14-12 12:59 AM
    if my memory serves me correct, there were a few OS's that had a famous "30-0%" bug. load the latest OS for the phone and the problem should be fixed.
    08-14-12 03:28 AM
    One tip - pull the battery out and polish the brass contacts. Make sure they are clean.

Then go get yourself a new OS like .666 (https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...4B931C35A169B0)

On that page make sure you check you pick up the correct phone model, and then select the .666 OS.

Then follow these instructions to install the update:
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

It really is very easy. And well worth doing. Especially with an OS that is so old.
    08-14-12 06:59 AM
    Try the latest OS (723), if your problem is still exist, maybe you should have a new battery because the old one is dying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-14-12 11:45 AM
    im pretty sure his issue is the battery bug as opposed to the actual battery. an OS reload to the newest one should cure it.
    08-18-12 08:52 PM
    Kabayan, i suggest version 668...
    08-18-12 09:53 PM
    i'd say try a newer OS i have the same phone and have tried almost all of the OS's and have found that 6.0.0.666 Bundle 2921 works great for me, and if that doesn't work try a new battery
    08-19-12 11:43 AM
    Hey, please listen to what Batter Pudding told you. That will should help you a lot, I can assure you 99.9%.
    08-20-12 06:45 AM
    Hey, please listen to what Batter Pudding told you. That will should help you a lot, I can assure you 99.9%.
    I see cleaning as easy to do, and totally free in cost. Amazing how much muck we can gather in our phones.

Last night I was sitting on the sofa with a very thin bit of card (that little Green bit from the bottom of a pack of Rizla). And found I could use this to get in all the little cracks between my keys on the keyboard and around the screen.

Doesn't help the OP in this case - but does show how mucky our devices get.
    08-20-12 07:01 AM
    Cleaning is really the first thing you should try...
    Then try to switch the OS... and if both things won't help then buy a new battery.
    08-22-12 12:19 AM
    One tip - pull the battery out and polish the brass contacts. Make sure they are clean.

Then go get yourself a new OS like .666 (https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...4B931C35A169B0)

On that page make sure you check you pick up the correct phone model, and then select the .666 OS.

Then follow these instructions to install the update:
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

It really is very easy. And well worth doing. Especially with an OS that is so old.

Having trouble with my 9780 battery life. Before, it used to go on a couple of days, even three. But now, it drains 20% of its.power within 4 hours or so. What should i do?
    05-15-13 04:17 AM
    @Danielsky23 - the main thing I would do in your situation is have a good look around at the apps you have installed. Plug the phone into the PC and use Desktop Manager and go through your apps. Are you really still using them all? Throw out any you don't use. Especially all the chat clients like Yahoo Mess, Twitter, Facebook, etc. If you are not in those networks - get shot of them.

My phone is a couple of years old now and still on original battery. I usually charge it every night but know that most days I could skip a charge without trouble. Did a test last week and after charging it on the Sunday night I let the battery run. Only died on me on the Friday!! Okay - so I was cheating slightly as I was at home all week and not using it much. At home it was on a UMA connection via WiFi and not burning power on 3G.

One thing I notice can really burn battery quick is if you are in a week 3G signal area. It is noticeable that the phone will boost the signal a lot then. So I would look at where you are using the phone - if there is a low signal this could be also chomping into your battery life. Certain locations where I leave my phone at my Girlfriend's house is much lower signal and I have returned to the phone to find it very drained. Move it across the room and it is much happier.

When you do eventually buy a new battery - don't be scared of spending money on it. You must get it from a reputable dealer. There are just waaaaaaay too many fakes out there that are just not up to the same standard. They look okay, kind of work, but just don't have the same ability to hold charge.
    Last edited by Batter Pudding; 05-15-13 at 04:56 AM.
    05-15-13 04:30 AM
    Batter pudding. Thanks for the reply bro. I'll try everything you said, I'll get back to you with the results. Hope it works ((;

by the way, my PC is busted too. Can I just manually remove these apps using my phone only?
    05-16-13 03:32 AM
    I have never done it from the phone. Try Option \ Device \ Applications. But only remove stuff you are sure about. Aim for the "always on" type of apps like Chat, weather updates, etc. that you are not using. Leave anything from RIM alone.

Once you have stripped these out you can always put them back another time. A good idea would be to keep a list of what you remove in case you need to put anything back later.
    05-16-13 03:45 AM
    Thanks. I've done it already. I last charged this battery at around 5 yesterday afternoon. Now it's at its 24th hour with 30% left. It maybe fair but it used to go longer than this.
    05-16-13 04:03 AM
    Btw, i'm using OS 6, bundle 863 (v6.0.0.285, platform 6.5.0.5.4) is this good enough?
    05-16-13 04:04 AM
    Don't forget that usage is what then affects the battery life. Live in a bad 3G area and spend all the time talking on the phone and the battery will run out quicker than someone who lives in a strong signal area and doesn't talk much.

The OS you have is ancient. .285 does need updating to fix all kinds of issues. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll update this thread with a link for you on how to update. Personally I use .666 with other people using .713 and .723. Installing a new OS is easy - but needs a functioning PC.
    05-16-13 04:19 AM
    Ah - a quick memory jog to myself. Reduce your screen brightness. I knocked mine down to 40% and saw a noticeable improvement without any loss of visibility. Give it a play and see how it goes.
    05-16-13 04:22 AM
    Thanks alot for the help man. Hope I'm not abusing it. So does an old OS affect battery life? I think I saw some posts suggesting that it does.
    05-16-13 04:25 AM
    Ah - a quick memory jog to myself. Reduce your screen brightness. I knocked mine down to 40% and saw a noticeable improvement without any loss of visibility. Give it a play and see how it goes.
    I did that already. Right at the moment I got this phone as a gift, I set my backlight to 10 then screen time out at 10secs. Also my phone is always in silent mode =))
    05-16-13 04:27 AM
    Now to the Firmware update to .666 (other firmware is available... all personal choice really but the process the same.)

You will need a PC for this and your USB cable. If your PC is still stuffed, then borrow a mates as this won't do anything "bad" to their PCs. Just needs some time and patience.

You .285 is really old and later OS versions improved the battery life.

Download .666 from this link:
    https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...4B931C35A169B0

(Carefully check the page of firmware as there are dozens on there. You want 6.0.0.666)

Go into your Windows Control Panel, locate Add\Remove programs (or Programs\Uninstall) and look for any other Blackberry OS that may be installed. Remove them.

Run the installer for .666. This puts the files on your PC.

Open My Computer and locate the folder:
    C:\program files\common files\Research in motion\apploader\ and DELETE the file "vendor.xml". This is the one which holds the specific info for the phone company. We don't need this. (Leave the window open as you will need it again in a minute)

Now connect the phone. Backup using desktop manager. Then close desktop manager. (This step is not really needed, it is more of an "in case" step)

Look in that C:\program files\common files\Research in motion\apploader\ folder and run "loader.exe".

Follow the wizard. Let it backup, and take note of the page that lets you choose what apps you want on your phone. (For example, I am not a Facebook Twatterer so I remove these apps as well as languages I don't need. All saves space)

That is basically it. Wait. Let it get through and sort itself out. It will also restore everything from its own backup.
    05-16-13 04:31 AM
    Thanks alot for the help man. Hope I'm not abusing it. So does an old OS affect battery life? I think I saw some posts suggesting that it does.
    Yes, it can make a big difference. Also the phone in general behaves better on the later OS versions. Personally my phone suffered from the "double press" bug which made typing texts a pain. I also clearly got better UMA, better 3G lock and improved battery.

I fully use my ring tones. As well as having Advanced OS and LEDs on there flicking different coloured LEDs around for the callers. (Better and more trustable than BerryBuzz)

The .666 OS is now getting pretty "old" as no updates have been around for our Bolds for a while. But this is good as .666 is very stable for me. I never need battery pulls.

As to abusing me... I'll soon let you know. You are getting some quick support here while I have a morning coffee break.
    05-16-13 04:36 AM
    Alright, as soon as I get my PC fixed, I'll do all this. I hope it gets fixed soon because I'm really worried that if my battery issue goes on any longer, it might damage my phone or battery. Thanks a whole.lot man. You're a life saver!!
    05-16-13 04:42 AM
    Don't worry about damaging phone or battery. It is just using up the juice quicker as the phone is being kept busier. That is what phones and batteries are supposed to do - be used. The later OS versions are just more efficient with their battery use.

The more you fiddle with the phone, look into all the options, customise it to your own needs, the more you will learn and be able to control about the device. (And I have never understood those people who need Weather Apps on their phones... I have a Window for that )
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    05-16-13 05:02 AM
    Really? Even if you keep on charging it because it keeps draining? Yea. Hahaha. You can easily know the weather by looking at your window =))
    05-16-13 06:39 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD