I've been searching over the internet to buy a brand-new, unlocked BlackBerry Bold 9700 for days now. But seems like the term 'brand-new' and 'unlocked' is a very complicated one in the world of BlackBerry.
    My first was an 8310 (OEM version as I shall now explain), second was a used Bold 9000(Vodafone) and both times I knew what I was getting into because I bought both from stores where I could see the phones, packaging etc in front of my eyes.
    Now however, there a trend of selling 'unlocked' phones over eBay and Amazon, which don't clearly mention whether the phone is carrier-aligned, or came 'unbranded'. Sellers(online stores) do not mention the accessories or include originals in box.

Note that in the first picture how the packaging has BlackBerry bar-codes on it. Everything is packed in zip-lock bags. This is a true, OEM, unbranded, factory unlocked handset, with the original packaging.
    The second pictuer is of a 99.5% Top-rated seller on eBay calling the phone brand-new and with all accessories. Notice how the holster is different than the OEM version? Packaging is poor quality. Manuals are not even packed. This is the closest I could find to brand-new OEM being sold on eBay.
    Most sellers are scammers. Not including the original accessories, not providing straight answers to questions (sometimes even becoming downright rude), not providing enough pictures and information for users (for return-basis) and some even selling highly-refurbished phones, calling them brand-new.

Buyers beware. We are spending a few bucks, not buying these phones on contract, so inquire about what you're getting. If it is what you want and if that is what the seller is giving.

Note: As of yet I still haven't found an OEM version online. (Amazon is not reliable since third-party stores are not reputable, even if that wasn't the case, the description is not clear, there are no pictures). So if anyone is selling, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
    08-13-11 11:02 AM
    I looked on the BB website and they want you to pick a carrier before they show you where to buy. Doesn't look like you can buy from RIM directly. Not much help but I'm wondering why you can't buy for the carrier you will use. Once unlocked it will work for any carrier. The branding on the front of the phone will come off with a penny. The splash screen on boot will stay which I don't like.

Maybe you should contact RIM directly. Maybe they could point you in the right direction. I would guess your going to pay a bit more though.

As far as ebay is concerned .... I'm using their buyer protection now for a bad 9700. Seller Wouldn't respond to me so ebay is refunding my money plus my original shipping charge. In addition they paid for shipping to return the phone to the seller.
    08-13-11 12:04 PM
    Thanks for the concern. That's what I've decided now. Looking for a mint condition bold 9700. Any carrier I guess. I travel out of country a lot so will have to get it unlocked as well. I guess will have to live with the splash screen and software. Oh well...
    08-13-11 01:18 PM
    As long as it's good condition (like new), I wouldn't mind anything else. But that's hard to get I gather
    08-13-11 01:19 PM
    I would rather have a slash screen than anything else other than the word "blackberry" on it. Some of these carrier splash screens are quite nice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 05:37 PM
    I really need some help and not sure if this is the place to post or not.... I have a Bold 9700 that I got a year ago and only got to use for a week with Tmobile before we cancelled our account.... I LOVE this phone and wanted to use it on my prepaid ATT that we switched too... I have gotten it unlocked and it recoginzed the ATT sim card, even said ATT on the screen and had a signal, but it wont let me make or receive calls or even get on the internet (I have unlimited internet with go phone)...... PLEASE help me be able to use this phone....... any help is very much appreciated!
    Nicole
    08-13-11 05:49 PM
    I really need some help and not sure if this is the place to post or not.... I have a Bold 9700 that I got a year ago and only got to use for a week with Tmobile before we cancelled our account.... I LOVE this phone and wanted to use it on my prepaid ATT that we switched too... I have gotten it unlocked and it recoginzed the ATT sim card, even said ATT on the screen and had a signal, but it wont let me make or receive calls or even get on the internet (I have unlimited internet with go phone)...... PLEASE help me be able to use this phone....... any help is very much appreciated!
    Nicole
    Bit of a highjacking. I suggest calling AT&T and they should be able to solve the problem since it's on their side only. You won't get 3G, just EDGE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    nod7109 likes this.
    08-13-11 05:55 PM
    I think it has to do with 'Service Books' in your phone. If you can, try changing the software of the phone to At&t's version. If you need instructions, we can link you to the appropriate thread.
    try resetting the phone too.
    08-13-11 11:45 PM
    Note: As of yet I still haven't found an OEM version online. (Amazon is not reliable since third-party stores are not reputable, even if that wasn't the case, the description is not clear, there are no pictures)...
    I have placed an order with an online store at Amazon.com. Finally got a link with enough description, and despite which the seller was able to answer my questions courteously. Seems legit so far. Will update once it's received (hopefully Monday or Tuesday).
    08-13-11 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD