Hi all

I have got a blackberry bold that was given to me (used) as a gift. From the moment I had received the phone, I realized that the battery life only lasted me around 7 hours on a full charge. I then went to settings and realized that screen brightness was on 100. Since then I have changed it down to only 10 and also before I go to bed I ensure that all applications are closed using the menu>close. I also use the auto on/off feature and have experienced no difference in behavior. Having a suspicion that it might be the battery, I changed it and once again no result. The battery dies just as fast when it is switched off!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks
    05-19-11 04:28 PM
    Hi all

I have got a blackberry bold that was given to me (used) as a gift. From the moment I had received the phone, I realized that the battery life only lasted me around 7 hours on a full charge. I then went to settings and realized that screen brightness was on 100. Since then I have changed it down to only 10 and also before I go to bed I ensure that all applications are closed using the menu>close. I also use the auto on/off feature and have experienced no difference in behavior. Having a suspicion that it might be the battery, I changed it and once again no result. The battery dies just as fast when it is switched off!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks
    What version of operating system does your bold have?
    05-19-11 05:29 PM
    Most probably it's the battery. Get a new one and it's should be ok.
    05-19-11 10:49 PM
    I have replaced the battery with a genuine Blackberry Battery however there is no change in performance.

I am currently running OS 6 however had changed it to OS5 and once again experienced no change in performance
    05-20-11 09:44 AM
    This explains why it was given as a "gift". ha!
    05-20-11 12:51 PM
    How is your signal strength? If you are in an area with poor coverage, the battery will drain while the device is searching for a signal.

Do you have GPS or Bluetooth on? These will also drain the battery.
    05-20-11 01:04 PM
    I understand why that may drain the battery but other Bold users are getting around 2-3 days usage! Surely it woudn't effect performance by that much!
    05-20-11 01:49 PM
    I understand why that may drain the battery but other Bold users are getting around 2-3 days usage! Surely it woudn't effect performance by that much!
    2-3 days is unrealistic for heavy use of a smartphone. My battery lasts around 12 hours in most cases, but I charge it whenever I get a chance. I keep it plugged in the charger when I am at my desk, and I charge it every night when I go to bed.

Lithium ion batteries do not have a "memory" like old NiCad batteries. They will perform best if charged regularly and topped off.
    05-20-11 01:54 PM
    Go to Options>Device>Application Management and scroll right to the CPU screen. After about ten seconds, does the Phone module consume nearly 100% of your CPU capacity?
    05-20-11 03:18 PM
    around 3% CPU when idle but when I scroll it jumps to 36%
    05-20-11 03:57 PM
    I've had the same battery issue since updating to .534. I used to get 1-2 days before I had to charge, but now I'm charging at a 1/2 day of steady use. Trying .576 to see if it's any better.
    05-20-11 04:16 PM
    and while I didn't notice it the first time I flashed .534, after retrying, I did see the 100% phone cpu bug
    05-20-11 04:16 PM
    I've had the same battery issue since updating to .534. I used to get 1-2 days before I had to charge, but now I'm charging at a 1/2 day of steady use. Trying .576 to see if it's any better.
    .576 is working great for me. The only problem is I'm running down the battery checking CPU usage.
    05-20-11 06:06 PM
    Thanks dougsorensen for the way to check what was running on my '9700. Google maps was running in the background. Couldn't figure out why battery drained fast in two days.
    08-18-11 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD