CrackBerry.com:

My BlackBerry Bold 9000 recently fell into a pool and is now broken. It would not turn on for a little while. I then decided to take out the battery and dry off both the phone and battery. For a few minutes, it turned on and was working fine, but then once again, it shut off, and hasn't turned on since. It has been a week since the incident. The phone is now completely useless. The battery has the pink x's and the stickers are also pink. I don't have insurance either. My question is, are these the only stickers that are on this device? Any suggestions as to what I should do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FLASH9000
    Last edited by FLASH9000; 06-15-09 at 08:44 PM.
    06-15-09 08:41 PM
    If you don't have insurance you will have to buy a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 08:48 PM
    The sticker on the battery is not a water damage indicator.
    There are several actual indicators (at least one on the PCB).
    Without insurance you are screwed.

Your mistake was not allowing the phone to dry out and powering
    it on. A few minutes won't cut it. It needed to dry out for
    48-96 hours without any power at all.

You only option at this point is to start looking for a low cost unit.
    06-15-09 08:48 PM
    Water takes far longer than a few minutes to evaporate, atleast a day, two to be sure. As said im sorry to say but you have to get a new phone.

06-15-09 09:01 PM
    Maybe try putting in a new battery? If you turned it on within 48 hours or so then chances are the battery is toast.
    06-15-09 09:07 PM
    Powering on while it could still be wet will definitely cause a short. I would have put the phone in a container of uncooked rice for 24 hours before powering it on again. The rice should be able to soak up any excess water.
    06-15-09 09:08 PM
    I guess all of this is to late now. Are there any other water indicators that are inside the actual device?

FLASH9000
    06-15-09 09:36 PM
    I guess all of this is to late now. Are there any other water indicators that are inside the actual device?

FLASH9000
    Dude not trying to be rude but... You haven't mentioned that you have no insurance for the phone but its pretty much bricked because you didn't a lot adequate amount of time for the Bold to dry off.

So my point is why the **** are you worried about the internal water indicators? Just buy a low cost unit as someone mentioned now that you've learned your lesson, just be more careful.

Last edited by KungFu_Asian; 06-15-09 at 10:42 PM.
    06-15-09 10:40 PM
    I hate to be the one to call a spade a spade...but it sounds like someone is looking to replace all the "visible" water damage indicators.

Replace what you see, and hope for the best...but the reality is if RIM went through the effort to install the water damage indicators in the first place, they would have certainly put in additional ones INSIDE the phone....it would be way too easy to abuse the system if they only put indicators where the users can access them.

Sorry bud...but it sounds like you need to take your lumps ($$$) and move on. I'm sure many here have "been there, done that, and bought the blackberry"
    06-15-09 11:52 PM
    Next time let it sit for at least a few days before turning it on.
    06-15-09 11:55 PM
    You Need To Pull Out The Battery And Put The Phone Into A Zip Lock Bag Full Of Rice. The Rice Will Pull Out The Moisture. Leave It In There For At Least 3-4 Days. Then Try To Put The Battery Back In.
    06-16-09 12:07 AM
    If you were smart, you would have known that berries and pool don't blend together.

06-16-09 12:22 AM
    Best course of action for this scenario is just what AmazinglyGraceless said, but I would actually put it in a container of dry rice for that amount of time to really help dry it out.

Chris
    06-16-09 12:30 AM
    to give up a heads blackberry hides water indicators all over the phone, they have one in the ehad phone jack that is impossible to replace. Because what I think you are going to try to do, is replace those indicators and try to do a warrenty swap. Not a good idea, seeing as once you return the device and AT&T finds out there is water damage they will charge you full price for the phone $599. Go on ebay and buy another one.
    06-16-09 10:01 AM
    I'd say new battery, bag of rice, new OS.
    06-16-09 10:12 AM
    CrackBerry.com:

My BlackBerry Bold 9000 recently fell into a pool and is now broken. It would not turn on for a little while. I then decided to take out the battery and dry off both the phone and battery. For a few minutes, it turned on and was working fine, but then once again, it shut off, and hasn't turned on since. It has been a week since the incident. The phone is now completely useless. The battery has the pink x's and the stickers are also pink. I don't have insurance either. My question is, are these the only stickers that are on this device? Any suggestions as to what I should do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FLASH9000

WOW are you my sister? my sister had her bold for 3 days and droped it in the pool. thank god she had insurance on it! ATT replaced it!
    06-16-09 11:34 AM
    I gotta try that rice trick.
    06-16-09 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD